Welcome to SMD Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

18 inch subs that don't take a lot of cubic feet to sound good?

53 replies to this topic

Vooloco

Vooloco

125db

• Members
  • 175 posts
You guys probably already know i'm looking at 2 15 or 2 18 fi bl's, but I'm stuck on 18's because they are louder and no one has them in my area. The problem is that I don't know if I can supply the 18" bl's with they're recommended 14 cubic feet and I don't want them to sound bad. So does anyone know of good brands that make 18" subs that take less space then 14 cubic feet for 2? Or are the bl's the way to go because I could MAYBE make 14 cubic feet work.

Thanks

-Hobby-

-Hobby-

YALLRIGHT

• 18+ All Access!
  • 3,470 posts
You could use DC subs. Level 3's or level 4's would be a good replacement for the BL's. They would be fine in 5-6 cubes net per sub.

Jd1102

Jd1102

The Serious Joker

• Members

• 1,967 posts
  • Interests:Bass
idk for sure but ive heard that sundown nightshades like small boxes

Kranny

Kranny

The Kranny rule

• Members
  • 18,934 posts
you are misinformed. bigger woofers arent always necessarily louder. if you try stuffing two 18's in a space that barely meets the space requirements BEFORE displacement is taken into account, you'll probably be louder with two 15's since you'll be choking the shit out of the bigger subs.

Edited by Kranny, 21 October 2011 - 01:18 PM.

Lol overpriced amp huh. Shows how much you know. I know folks. Dont be mad you run a piece of shit amp. You and all the other dont know bbetters can say man itd awesome its awesome and I got it for 125 bucks. Ive spent more on glue.

Clip city bitch, clip clip city bitch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames bitch.

Corolla (Deceased) Outlaw: 141.9 at 45hz

99 Monte Carlo Z34: Stock everything.

2014 Focus ST: Stock 10 speaker Sony system. meh

141 ON MUSICCCCCCCCCCCCC

thebiggmann12

thebiggmann12

130db

• Members
  • 302 posts
i had my sundown nightshade 18 in a 5 cube box before port and sub displacement.

C-Fizzy

C-Fizzy

175db

• 18+ All Access!
  • 7,345 posts
nightshades rape in small boxes. 4-7 cubes per 18.
under construction

I hate People with crappy primered cars rolling on hubcaps that are louder then me.

u hate c-fizzy?

MikeMartel

MikeMartel

120db

• Members
  • 55 posts
Oh wow, 5 cubes before port thats pretty small.

bassrace

bassrace

150db

• Members

• 1,628 posts
  • Interests:BASS
    Guns

i had my sundown nightshade 18 in a 5 cube box before port and sub displacement.

Whoa, what was the box net.?
145.9@40hz 145.3@34hz big 3 X2 group 34 Deka Group 31 All 0/1 awg jl meta wire Alpine CDA 7894 Orion HCCA D5000 2 AQ HDC312's Crunch gpv1100.2 (for 6.5"s only) AQ pro audio 6.5" - 3 sets AQ supertweeters - 2 sets 2000 Slamry

basshead7890

basshead7890

140db

• UBL Approved Group
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
Garage View Garage
fi btl 4.5cubes minimum

My Build Log
95 Honda Accord
Nook HD+ tablet

Team Ascendant Audio 18"

2 Skar Audio SK-2500.1D

Crescendo Audio C1100.4

MikeMartel

MikeMartel

120db

• Members
  • 55 posts
Yeah, right now i have a single 18" Fi BTL N2 in a 5.5 cuft NET box. Ported to 32hz, sounds great.

Vooloco

Vooloco

125db

• Members
  • 175 posts

idk for sure but ive heard that sundown nightshades like small boxes

Whats the RMS per sub?

Vooloco

Vooloco

125db

• Members
  • 175 posts

you are misinformed. bigger woofers arent always necessarily louder. if you try stuffing two 18's in a space that barely meets the space requirements BEFORE displacement is taken into account, you'll probably be louder with two 15's since you'll be choking the shit out of the bigger subs.

What do I need to know about displacement? What would you do for 2 fi bl 18's?

Kranny

Kranny

The Kranny rule

• Members
  • 18,934 posts

What do I need to know about displacement? What would you do for 2 fi bl 18's?

well for 2 18's, i'd probably take like a cube at least out for port displacement, then another half cube for woofer displacement, another .5 or 1 for bracing (depending on which material you use), extra baffling takes up space too. all of these things need to be taken into account before you can even think about choosing woofers.

Lol overpriced amp huh. Shows how much you know. I know folks. Dont be mad you run a piece of shit amp. You and all the other dont know bbetters can say man itd awesome its awesome and I got it for 125 bucks. Ive spent more on glue.

Clip city bitch, clip clip city bitch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames bitch.

141 ON MUSICCCCCCCCCCCCC

Vooloco

Vooloco

125db

• Members
  • 175 posts
What are the sundown's rated at RMS? The fi bl's would be fully loaded so 1.5k per sub. Say I had 11 to 12 cubic feet what would be better

MikeMartel

MikeMartel

120db

• Members
  • 55 posts
Get two 15" Fi BL's

Kranny

Kranny

The Kranny rule

• Members
  • 18,934 posts
messing around with numbers in torres calc, .75 bracing displacement, 1" mdf all around, extra baffle, .5 woofer displacement, 14.16cuft gross, 9.5cuft net tuned to 33.5hz with 13.6sqin of port per cube. so yeah, make sure you take into account displacement before you choose woofers.

edit: and im sure that i didnt even put enough bracing or baffles or side wall layers. so...yeah. displacement is a bitch.

Edited by Kranny, 21 October 2011 - 01:40 PM.

141 ON MUSICCCCCCCCCCCCC

Vooloco

Vooloco

125db

• Members
  • 175 posts

messing around with numbers in torres calc, .75 bracing displacement, 1" mdf all around, extra baffle, .5 woofer displacement, 14.16cuft gross, 9.5cuft net tuned to 33.5hz with 13.6sqin of port per cube. so yeah, make sure you take into account displacement before you choose woofers.

Well that sounds like around 15 cubic feet so I don't think I can get 2 18 bl's (I'll still consider them tho I have to do some more measuring, but that would be pushing it to the limit.) So 2 18 sundowns or 2 15 bl's? What are the sundowns rated at??

Kranny

Kranny

The Kranny rule

• Members
  • 18,934 posts

Well that sounds like around 15 cubic feet so I don't think I can get 2 18 bl's (I'll still consider them tho I have to do some more measuring, but that would be pushing it to the limit.) So 2 18 sundowns or 2 15 bl's? What are the sundowns rated at??

"1500" watts.

edit: and dont think that you should be using the numbers i gave you. i just said that so you'd understand what i meant about how displacement sucks.

Edited by Kranny, 21 October 2011 - 01:47 PM.

141 ON MUSICCCCCCCCCCCCC

Vooloco

Vooloco

125db

• Members
  • 175 posts
Well if those sundowns are 1500 watts and they're 18s and the bl's are 15s at 1500 watts. The sundowns would be better right? What would the box be like for the sundowns?

2loudisjustright

2loudisjustright

140db

• Members
  • 844 posts
  • Interests:loud bass, atving, hunting, fishing, cars
I got 2 18" DC XL's in a 11.9 cube gross box, 9.7 cubes net and they are sounding great and should take the high wattage i'm gonna give em when i'm finished with my build.

2000 zx2: Rebuild with 8 12s on a 10k underway!!  

MY BUILD LOG

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users