Sonic Electronix
Welcome to SMD Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Orion HCCA 15.2

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Rylan

Rylan

125db

• UBL Approved Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Interests:Flex.
Garage View Garage
So I have a 2008 Dodge Nitro and im running a hcca 15.2 dialed down to 1 ohm thats being pushed by an orion 2500.1 amp. it also has 0 gauge wire all threw it and a 4 farad cap. my question is how i should go about breaking it in. ive already blown one and i want to treat this one diffent. its in a ported box, about 3 cubic feet. and the amp is only up a fourth of the way. the sub is a monster, its shakes the shit out of the nitro already.. but i need to get it past the burnt coil smell properly.. any advice. im new here so please dont start callin me an idiot and shit. hear me out and help me out.

Sozzzz

Sozzzz

120db

• Members
  • 48 posts

So I have a 2008 Dodge Nitro and im running a hcca 15.2 dialed down to 1 ohm thats being pushed by an orion 2500.1 amp. it also has 0 gauge wire all threw it and a 4 farad cap. my question is how i should go about breaking it in. ive already blown one and i want to treat this one diffent. its in a ported box, about 3 cubic feet. and the amp is only up a fourth of the way. the sub is a monster, its shakes the shit out of the nitro already.. but i need to get it past the burnt coil smell properly.. any advice. im new here so please dont start callin me an idiot and shit. hear me out and help me out.

I usually break in my new subs by free airing them for a few days at a really low frequency say 10hz. You could also wire your amp up to a higher impedance and just rail on it full blast.

sensai_v4.0

sensai_v4.0

165db

• Super Moderator
  • 4,263 posts

Your problem is not with breaking in the subwoofer. It seems your problem is that you are clipping the living hell out of it which is why you are smelling the voice coils. The only way to move past the voice coils burnt smell is to set your gains properly and make sure you are not clipping the sub to living hell and back. Once you are able to achieve that, then I'm sure you will not have any issues. This subwoofer does not need broken in. Thank you and have a very wonderful day

:ninja:

Team_CirocWhen your at the top everyone is coming for you, friends, family, haters and even those who don't know you.. my advice.. KILL EM ALL

carlosg_313

carlosg_313

150db

• Members

• 1,756 posts
  • Interests:Baby making
Fuck break in, just bump it full tilt. You blown your last one for having it clipped. Go to a shop with an oscope or buy yourself a dd-1 to tune your amp perfectly with no distortion.

Edit: upgrade your battery and get rid of the cap. It may 'help' now but in the long run, your alt will fail.

Edited by carlosg_313, 16 January 2012 - 07:06 AM.

How do the Japanese feel about bass?

You know that since 03/11/11

Progene? I just saw that stuff on CNN. They said it makes your junk shrink all up. lol.

im pretty sure the op wont even notice if it gets even smaller.

Refs - Pstone11, porksoda, coleman

notorious97200

notorious97200

145db

• Members

• 1,075 posts
Don't worry about breaking in it.

Just play with it as you want, it'll become louder later. No need to do something special.

How did you broke the first one ? Did you reconed it ?

Set your gain right and you should be good to go !

Toyota Auris D4D 2.0 l Pioneer DEH 9300 SD / Focal 165KP / DD 9515h in a 3.8ft3 box @ 35 Hz/ Incriminator Audio 20.1 and 3.4 Stinger wiring & accessories, 0 Ga power & grds. Big3 to be finished / Kinetic HC1200 in the back & a big AGM batt under hood

Sozzzz

Sozzzz

120db

• Members
  • 48 posts
It cost me $60 to get mine oscoped at a local shop but it was worth it. Never knew lowering the gains could actually make it louder lol

Edited by Sozzzz, 16 January 2012 - 07:13 AM.

Rylan

Rylan

125db

• UBL Approved Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Garage View Garage

Your problem is not with breaking in the subwoofer. It seems your problem is that you are clipping the living hell out of it which is why you are smelling the voice coils. The only way to move past the voice coils burnt smell is to set your gains properly and make sure you are not clipping the sub to living hell and back. Once you are able to achieve that, then I'm sure you will not have any issues. This subwoofer does not need broken in. Thank you and have a very wonderful day

what does clipping mean?

Rylan

Rylan

125db

• UBL Approved Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Garage View Garage

Don't worry about breaking in it.

Just play with it as you want, it'll become louder later. No need to do something special.

How did you broke the first one ? Did you reconed it ?

Set your gain right and you should be good to go !

the first one just fried. i thought it as too much power for it to handle for being first popped in. but no recone, i just got a new one popped in at the shop i got it from. no cost. and what exactly should i look for at setting my gain?

Rylan

Rylan

125db

• UBL Approved Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Garage View Garage

It cost me $60 to get mine oscoped at a local shop but it was worth it. Never knew lowering the gains could actually make it louder lol

what does oscoping do for me?

Rylan

Rylan

125db

• UBL Approved Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Garage View Garage
my setup is far from finished, i have a number of other things to do. it sounds like to me i need a good tune on it.. but like i previously said, if i turn the amp up anymore right now without the dynamat in there i think my back hatch my fly off lol.

Brandonrcm

Brandonrcm

135db

• Members

• 529 posts
  • Interests:Bass,Cars,Games

what does oscoping do for me?

Getting it set with an oscope or a dd1 will set the gain. The gain isn't there to be used as a volume knob. The gain is there to set the voltage with your rcas coming from the headunit. By having the gain set to high past the headunits voltage will cause clipping and your coil to be smelled again, and the same thing will happen to it as your last sub

kraz1021

kraz1021

125db

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:soaking in knowledge
what does your electrical consist of...have you done the big 3,upgraded/extra batts, OEM or HO alt

Kranny

Kranny

The Kranny rule

• Members
  • 18,658 posts
take the crapacitor out. you dont need it since it does more harm than good in your case.

Lol overpriced amp huh. Shows how much you know. I know folks. Dont be mad you run a piece of shit amp. You and all the other dont know bbetters can say man itd awesome its awesome and I got it for 125 bucks. Ive spent more on glue.

Clip city bitch, clip clip city bitch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames bitch.

Corolla (Deceased) Outlaw: 141.9 at 45hz

99 Monte Carlo Z34: Stock everything.

2014 Focus ST: Stock 10 speaker Sony system. meh

141 ON MUSICCCCCCCCCCCCC

Rylan

Rylan

125db

• UBL Approved Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Garage View Garage

what does your electrical consist of...have you done the big 3,upgraded/extra batts, OEM or HO alt

Oem for now. I'm looking into a 2000 kinetic and a kicker big three in about a week or so.

FroznBeavrBALLs

FroznBeavrBALLs

150db

• Members

• 1,586 posts
  • Interests:car audio, basketball, skateboarding, food, girls, sleeping

60 buck to get your amp scoped??? WTF kind of Oscope do they use?
Thats whats messed up with alot of Car Audio shops these days.

2 DC 12" lvl 4s
1 DC 1.2k
XS Power S3400
big 3
Alll KNU wire
Pioneer HU
cheapo Legacy coaxes (just for now)
http://www.stevemead...n-sentra-build/
Posted Image

kraz1021

kraz1021

125db

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:soaking in knowledge

Oem for now. I'm looking into a 2000 kinetic and a kicker big three in about a week or so.

id get your electrical up to par ASAP,voltage dipping to low can kill equipment just like sending a clipped signal can.id suggest the big 3 and upgraded batt,not sure on the alt as im not familiar with how beefy they are on the nitro, someone else could chime in on that one for you hopefully.id also suggest getting a voltage meter so you can keep a eye on your voltage and know what it is at all times

Rylan

Rylan

125db

• UBL Approved Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Garage View Garage
I ordered the kicker big 3 yesterday from sonix electronics. Should be here in a day or so. Let's see what happens!

Rylan

Rylan

125db

• UBL Approved Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Garage View Garage
I received my smd dd-1 and tuned my amp and everything.. but its still getting stinky. No smoke yet. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

beat2deth

beat2deth

130db

• Members
  • 431 posts
could be a lot of clipping or distortion in the music you play or your voltage drop could be causing your amp to clip.

Rylan

Rylan

125db

• UBL Approved Group
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Garage View Garage

could be a lot of clipping or distortion in the music you play or your voltage drop could be causing your amp to clip.

True true. Some of my songs are kinda shitty in quality.. could that be the reason. It makes sense. When I play music from a real cd it does fine. And my voltage is real decent. My gauge reads 14.3-6 regularly, some songs hit real hard though and it goes down a tad into the 13's but I dont think its that. Could it be how I have my levels set on my h/u?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users