-
Posts
40 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Events
Media Demo
Store
Collections
Videos
Everything posted by Jmw703
-
My old Mazda 3 got hit and totaled so I just bought a civic sedan. I was previously running an ascendant audio arsenal 12 off 800 watts in a ported box tuned to either 29 or 31hz. I ran that setup for about 4 years and loved it. Now as I am about to graduate college I'm looking for something a little more low profile to save trunk space. Additionally, I would need to upgrade my electrical again to run anything over about 600 watts which I'm not interested in doing. I'm looking at running a small sealed box around .85^3 in the trunk off about 4 or 500 watts. Since AA no longer makes anything this small I have been looking at skar audio, specifically the 10 inch IVX and VD models. I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on either of these and how they would sound in this type of setup. I know it won't be as loud as the ported arsenal off double the power but I just can't stand the stock bass any longer. Need a little bit of punch in my life. If anyone has a recommendation on a different model other than the two I listed I am all ears.. Or eyes in this case. Thanks.
-
Sealed or ported?
Jmw703 replied to wiplash2001's topic in General Audio - Can't find a category for your question? Ask here.
I recently changed my sealed box to a ported box tuned to 31 hz. I will NEVER go sealed again, the difference is night and day. My little arsenal sounds like a whole new sub, louder and imo, much cleaner. -
imho if you want to conserve trunk space go with a 10 inch sub ported. Ported, if built properly, can sound just as clean if not cleaner than sealed. Depending on the sub it shouldnt take up much space at all. Not sure what your budget is but look at the SSA Dcon and the Ascendant Audio assassin. Very affordable entry level subs that will kill anything mainstream in the same price range. As for an amp check out an AQ750.
-
what brand cables/wire
Jmw703 replied to KiKaZz74's topic in Electrical-battery- Alternators- Wiring
Knuknonceptz wire is excellent. CCA 1.95 a foot and OFC is 3.95 a foot i think. (for 0 gauge) -
Ok, so i have noticed that after installing my new H.O. alt, when playing music on full tilt my engine heat gauge will rise slightly... now this isnt really a problem but when i say, turn the a/c on full blast along with the music it rises to like 3/4 or more which is not good. Also when this happens my a/c is sporadically ice cold then cool or slightly cool. If i turn down the volume the gauge will eventually go back down and things will go back to normal. Also, when im playing music loud for a period of time the fan under the hood near the engine goes into "maximum overdrive" (it sounds louder than usual). The only possibility i can think of is that the belt is slipping which could make sense because itsis operating the water pump. I didnt replace the stock belt when i installed the new H/o alt, so thats a thought. Im not super car savvy or anything so this could sound completely idiotic to you smarter people. I have no idea if there is something wrong with my car or whats going on. Anyone ever heard of this?
-
i cant seem to find a good place to put it, any ideas?
-
it does 128 @ low voltage (most likely idle). Thats what the test sheet in the box said. My battery may need an upgrade, all i have is a diehard gold battery. But i mean you would think it would be fine on 800 watts. I mean honestly, dropping to 13 v isnt terrible (i think?), but it isnt great, especially with what im running. And to answer your question kranny, the amp is grounded straight into the sheet metal on the top of my trunk ceiling. I can snap a picture if you would like.
-
I just upgraded my stock alt to a mechman 220a alt in my mazda 3. I have all 0 gauge wiring done under the hood. This helped my voltage significantly. Previously at idle i was charging at 13.2 or so at the amp, lights dimmed significantly. After the alt upgrade im charging at 14v at the amp and lights dim slightly at full tilt. All i am running is a brz1200.D @ 2 ohms. With the new alt and rmp at idle i tested 14v w/ no music and anywhere from 12.9 to 13.8 on full tilt depending on the song. (tested at the battery) Ok, so heres my question, i dont know much about electrical and stuff, but should i be dropping this much on only 800 watts or so? My lights still dim slightly but if my voltage is where it is supposed to be i could care less.
-
Set your gain with a DMM , while doing that you'll be able to see if the amp is even putting out enough voltage.
-
I don't really know how much coverage you would need so as for price I have no idea, looks too low though. But since you only want to be able to carry out a conversation I think you could do it. As for second skin, I recently deadened my trunk lid ,Trunk walls ,Trunk floor, and trunk ceiling with damplifier pro. Stuff is amazing. It killed most of the trunk rattle I previously had from my sub but I also noticed a significant decrease of road noise from the rear wheels. I have a Mazda 3 and mazdas have like no sound deadening anywhere so there should be a nice difference in your civic since its noisy as well. However, damp pro is mainly for rattles and not road noise although it did help, I have heard luxury liner is amazing for actually keeping road noise out. I also hope to use that product in the future as well as deadening my doors with more damp pro.
-
. Whoaaaaah a tools locator ? That's sweet I had no idea that existed. Thanks man , how exactly do you navigate to that page?
-
It does have this setting but I have no way of measuring exact volume and matching it unless I took the time to slowly set multiple sources via DMM. I just reset my gain using a test tone on my iPod, all is well now. I really Will only use my iPod now so no biggie. Thanks for the help guys.
-
I wish I had one, I don't know if there's anyone in my area that has one I could borrow. I would buy one but I'm short on money and I already need to buy a new alternator
-
I'm using a kenwood ddx318 with USB to iPod connector that came with my old alpine HU . I don't use different sources, I just got an iPod to replace my phone because I don't like having to blas my HU volume to its limits when with an iPod I barely use half volume. So best course of action would be to put a test tone on my iPod ( my main source ) and set the voltage with that rather than a cd ?
-
Ok so I have a quick question.. Say I set my gains using a DMM and a test tone on a CD. Let's also say i set the volume on the HU at 28/35 when I do this. Now I should be alright if I dont turn the HU past 28 with a cd. ( I know it's not perfect without a oscope but it's close). But here's where my question is what if I use a different source such as an android phone via aux. My phone plays significantly lower than a cd, so to achieve what was previously 28 volume I have to turn the HU higher. Wouldn't I still be clipping past 28, even at a lower volume? Or a second source I could use is an iPod via USB which is a little bit louder than a CD ( these are using the exact same audio file might I add). If I turn the volume to 28 the iPod will be louder than the CD. Would I be risking clipping due to the higher volume or does source volume not matter if I'm staying below the set volume of 28 ?
-
http://postimage.org...9hopy/b5f7c4d3/ i wasnt able to put them on here but that should work
-
i went with 20 all around on my car , i can put up some pics if you want. The legal limit is 35% front 18% back in my state but police in my area dont ever stop you for it. So in my opinion, if its laid back where you live go with 20% all around. 35% is way too light and isnt really worth it.
-
1GB = one gigabyte of data usage. This can be used via internet, youtube, email, even weather updates (i suggest turning off any auto updating apps that connect to the internet as this will drain your data) Most phones from verizon come preloaded with a data usage app so make sure you dont go over your data cap to avoid extra charges. Mobile hotspot is completely unnecessary for most people. All it does is allow you to share your 3g/4g ( use your phone like a router ) with another device in connection range. This device may be anything that uses a wifi connection (laptop, phone, ipad, xbox, etc. As far as i know this uses your data and kills your battery, you can obviously turn it off but it is just another worthless charge on your bill.
-
This is a common problem of many htc phones. I have an htc thunderbolt and experience the same thing. There is really no way around it other than getting a good amp and speakers that will play loud enough without distorting. Or get a new phone/iPod. Old iPod classics with 3x memory on Your local cqraigslist for like 75 bucks regularly.
-
Anyone have experience w/ dc lvl 3 or AA Arsenal
Jmw703 replied to Jmw703's topic in Subwoofers / Enclosures
My bad on that one. Nice wonka pic by the way.. Anyways rephrased the question, has anyone run what I mentioned above or anything similar and what did you think of it? -
I have narrowed my search down to two subs. The dc level 3 and the AA arsenal. I will be running a single sealed box built to spec at around 750-800 watts and it's going in my Mazda 3 sedan. I'm looking for decent sq as well as decent volume with the ability to dig low ( obviously not ported low , but a respectable low) , I listen to all types of music for the most part. I like a nice kick in the chest for bass pedals, double pedals and bass breakdowns in rock and metal , as well as respectable output for the occasional rap/dubstep/drum and bass song. Will either of these achieve this ? From what I have read both of these subs seem to fit the bill with their ability to run sealed, get loud and still sound good. Both I believe are almost the same price although I'm still waiting on quotes. Anyone have experience running either of these in a setup similar to what I would be ?
