Sonic Electronix

Electrical Upgrades for 3200w system...

Hey all, this is my first post :)

I plan on running two of the new Supercharged DD3515s on a 3200w Hifonics Colossus amplifier. I know I will need to upgrade my electrical system to power all of this... I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota SLT

I was thinking about getting a Optima Yellowtop for under the hood, and a Kinetik800 battery right next to the system. I also plan on doing the Big 3. If needed, I will rebuild my alternator to 180amp, not sure what it is now. Will this be enough to run the amplifier to it's fullest potential? And if not, what would yall recommend? I know basically nothing about car audio, so please keep it simple for the new guy ;)

Also, if yall don't believe I need a certain upgrade (maybe I don't need to upgrade my alternator) then please tell me...

Much appreciated!

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

im not sure about what resistance you plan to wire them at but i ran a stetsom 2k6d amp (3kw rms at 14.4v) and i had it wired to 2 ohms and it was a pretty good power hog. My truck would draw at a max of 35 amps of current just by itself, the system was off. Im not sure about your cars current draw just to keep the engine running and all the stock accessories powered but its probably somewhere around mine. I had it running off an xs power s3400 and d3100 batt with a 270 amp alt and it worked like a champ. i never had any problems, on the rare occasions i would get my lights to flicker but it was by no means a flicker like you were flashing your lights at someone, just a very brief flick. Optima batts are pretty good but i never ran one, i love my xs batts. Both my batts rest in my truck at 12.89 volts when its cold and even with it sitting a few days so they are very great batts even for the abuse i put them through. i would sit in my colleges parking lot and blast my music without the engine on and would never have a problem with starting my truck back up or anything like that.

I always recommend xs batts. yea they cost more but you get what you pay for and with xs you get a damn good bang for the buck. And check out Matt at Mechman Alternators. He does a fantastic job with his alts he makes. i have so far had one problem with an alt but it was damaged through shipping so its not his fault and he stood by me every step of the way.

But your alt is definitely not gonna keep up with your system at 180 amps. I would imaging i had somewhere around 200 amps of current being drawn in my truck with the system up and all my stuff running on my truck but dont quote me, i didnt have a clamp meter at the time to test it like i can do now.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

supercharged DD 3515s?

why not just buy a 9500

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

supercharged DD 3515s?

why not just buy a 9500

Because it's hard to save up that much on a part time job making minimum wage :D

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

Archived