Second Skin Audio

Nails vs Screws for boxes

seriously are you for real? Screws all the way. Imagine you just using a nail gun for a sealed enclosure. The pressure inside the box will build and build and it will find a way to try and release the pressure which if you use nails means blowing off one of the sides of the box. Just use screws. And if you are going for looks dont be cheap and get some fabric or leather or something to cover the damn box and make it look good. Or if you want it to be all wood and varnish it, they have special bits out there where you can drill it and it will make a plug out of the spot you drilled and you can use that plug to place over the top of the screw once you countersink it a little bit and you wont be able to tell that theres a screw there.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

seriously are you for real? Screws all the way. Imagine you just using a nail gun for a sealed enclosure. The pressure inside the box will build and build and it will find a way to try and release the pressure which if you use nails means blowing off one of the sides of the box. Just use screws. And if you are going for looks dont be cheap and get some fabric or leather or something to cover the damn box and make it look good. Or if you want it to be all wood and varnish it, they have special bits out there where you can drill it and it will make a plug out of the spot you drilled and you can use that plug to place over the top of the screw once you countersink it a little bit and you wont be able to tell that theres a screw there.

LOL you realize that the screws just clamp the wood together as it dries? Technically you don't even need either as long as you have lots of clamps. GLUE not nails or screws is what holds the box together.

Screws.......though the screws are just there to hold the box together while the glue dries, after that they aren't even really needed.

The glue is the real integral part of keeping the box together.

Edit: Goddammit OBI you

ninja2.jpggold-letter-D.jpg

ME

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

my bad. i forgot to mention the glue part. good catch on that bro. and superglue wont work for this. lmfao.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

since i think it fits here. When i make my box this summer do you think that liquid nails is pretty good for the box or should i use something else for it?

so why screws over nails..to hold it together till glue dry

just curious iv always used screws anyway LOL but yeh.

what about when fiberglass the inside, just seems like what ever cheaper be better? they do same job

AUSTRALIA do i need say more?

HU: some crap pionee

AMP: dc 9k @ 18v

SUB: 4 elevation audio sqx 12"

Battery: 2 neuton power 8200d

burp setup for fun 152's

soon to come: rebuilt soundstream xxx (2 18" OR 3 15" wall) Bunch speakers, more batts and new HU

since i think it fits here. When i make my box this summer do you think that liquid nails is pretty good for the box or should i use something else for it?

I like Titebond 2 for glue, and the liquid nails to bead the inner edges after the glue dries.

And to Woodzy, I guess because I have a shit ton of screws, and a screw gun, I would probably use nails if I had a shit ton of nails and a nail gun lol.

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

I like Titebond 2 for glue, and the liquid nails to bead the inner edges after the glue dries.

And to Woodzy, I guess because I have a shit ton of screws, and a screw gun, I would probably use nails if I had a shit ton of nails and a nail gun lol.

cheers :drink40:

AUSTRALIA do i need say more?

HU: some crap pionee

AMP: dc 9k @ 18v

SUB: 4 elevation audio sqx 12"

Battery: 2 neuton power 8200d

burp setup for fun 152's

soon to come: rebuilt soundstream xxx (2 18" OR 3 15" wall) Bunch speakers, more batts and new HU

Screws over nails (And when we say nails,we mean braid nails out of a gun) for the reason of as they actually tighten down they create a clamping affect on the joint that is being GLUED together. Notice i said GLUED together, not liquid nailed together.

Liquid nails is a construction adhesive, not a glue that bonds wood together to be as one piece.

Daily Driver 1999 Kia Sephia

Kenwood DNX-893s
Audison Bit One Processor
2 Dat 4.125's
Sundown Audio SCV-6k
Hertz hsk-165xl's Mids running active                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Focal V30 Series Tweeters running active 
Sundown Sa-8 v1's in the doors
2 Sundown Zv5 12's 
Lots of Hushmat
Big 3+ and 3 + & 3- runs of Trystar 2/0
2 Dc Power Engineering 320 HP Alts

2017 Comp Vehicle
2006 Toyota 4 Runner
Kenwood Excelon DNX-893s                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Audison Bit One HD DSP
4 Sundown Sa 6.5v2 Component Sets 
Focal Access 6.5 2 ways
Sundown Audio Sax-50.4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Sundown Audio Sax-100.4
2 Dc Power 370xp
Northstar agm27f
Northstar agm65
2 Northstar asmagm 480's
2 Dual 1 Sundown Nightshade v3 12's
2 Sundown SCV-7500's
All SMD Fuse Holders
Shitload Of Sundown 1/0

120 sq ft Second Skin Damp Pro

No, Its Not A Burp Truck!!!!

2016 Season 3rd place in Xtreme 1 At Finals

2016 Season 6th Place In Kaos 1 At Finals ( Blew The Subs Up In First Round Eliminations)

2 Kansas State Records Set In 2016 In Xtreme 1 And Kaos 1 In Midwest SPL

2-1.jpgsa.jpg
DCPowerLogoTransparent2.png

David said:

audio is a lifestyle, not a hobby

newls1
I cant read a tape to save my life... 1/2's are ok, but other marks confuse me
kingsuv
only men who cant read a tape, take it in the ass
kingsuv
you sir, get a pink hard hat on jobsites

Archived