Need advice on new Rotors & Pads

So I've got an 07 suburban that came stock with disc brakes all around the rotors are 13.6 up front and 13 in the rear. I'm about to finally put my 26's on the truck in about two weeks, however before I do that I want to change out the stock rotors and brake pads. Now I'm not talking about doing a Wilwood or Baer brake kit type of deal cause......I ain't got that kinda money. But what I was looking at doing was going with EBC's slot/drilled rotors up front and maybe just some slots in the back along with their green stuff pads. You guys think that will be a good way to go or just do slot/drill rotors all the way around?

Any other brands that I should be looking at besides EBC that offer good factory replacement Rotors and pads?

3DG Slot Rotors

Green Stuff 6000 Pads

2007 Chevy Suburban LT1

Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD

Diamond Audio D3 6 1/2 components

Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp

Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2)

DC Sound Lab Level 4 18's with Level 5 coils

Autotek Mean Machine 400.1D (replaced)

Soon to come:

rims

body kit

flow master pipes

Confuscious say "he who say it can't be done shouldn't be bothering man busy doing it"

Now feel free to go crawl back under that rock and leave this to the professionals....

Bump cause I would like to order them soon.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT1

Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD

Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp

Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2)

Soon to come:

rims

body kit

flow master pipes

Confuscious say "he who say it can't be done shouldn't be bothering man busy doing it"

Now feel free to go crawl back under that rock and leave this to the professionals....

I love slotted rotors, but anything drilled, even cast with holes(i.e. Porsche) are prone to early failure as they're a weak point in the rotor. EBC makes dimpled rotors that would be equally effective.

EBC greenstuff is fine, Hawk HPS is a better upgrade for the same $ and won't fall apart, or eat your rotors.

While you're at it, stainless braided brake lines and new fluid really help pedal feel and for an extra $150 are well worth it!

My $.02, with years of auto-x experience :-)

Big 3 with 1/0 welding cable, dual runs of 1/0 and 2gua F-R

DD 2512 D2 powered by Audioque 1200d at 1ohm, 2.5ft^3 ported to 36Hz

Boston SX 6.0 comps powered by Phoenix Gold M50 for front stage

Silver Flute 8" midbass in doors powered by Alpine 3539

Alpine CDA-117 HU

I love slotted rotors, but anything drilled, even cast with holes(i.e. Porsche) are prone to early failure as they're a weak point in the rotor. EBC makes dimpled rotors that would be equally effective.

EBC greenstuff is fine, Hawk HPS is a better upgrade for the same $ and won't fall apart, or eat your rotors.

While you're at it, stainless braided brake lines and new fluid really help pedal feel and for an extra $150 are well worth it!

My $.02, with years of auto-x experience :-)

So your saying not to even go the drilled route due to the holes having the potential to cause rotor failure? Also I didn't see any dimpled rotors online. Can you point me to them? I thought the purpose for the drilled rotors were to allow for even cooling on the rotor which is suppose to help with warping and cracking. Am I wrong on that?

2007 Chevy Suburban LT1

Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD

Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp

Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2)

Soon to come:

rims

body kit

flow master pipes

Bump anyone else have any input?

2007 Chevy Suburban LT1

Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD

Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp

Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2)

Soon to come:

rims

body kit

flow master pipes

i ordered some rotors from Advance Auto and got some HAWK LTS pads for my 04 Expedition and i love'em, had them now for over 3 yrs with no problems at all.

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

(1) XS Power D6500(UNDERHOOD) and (1) XS3000(REAR)

3 runs 1/0ga for power and 2 runs of 1/0ga for negative.

(2)-RFT165s components, ...... 4 separate 1 inch tweetersRF T600-2(fronts) Punch 450.4(rear)

Audiocontrol 3.1.

DC power 260amp alternator w/MLA Module

yea i would just get your local parts store rotors. unless you plan on racing your suburban then you dont need drilled or slotted rotors. they will just look kinda cool. but not really bc if anyone that sees them has any since they would no you dropped a ton of money on them for no good reason at all. if you want better stopping, then get good brake pads. if you hvae rims then get the low dust ones... still from the LPS in my opinion.

edit- also just a side not, i personally would NEVER order brake pads or rotors off the internet, cuz what happens when its the wrong pad.... or you hvae 2 different size rotors for a truck and you think you have one size and really its the other. you have to PAY for shipping 3 times to get the right ones and it will be like 2 weeks before you get them back. the LPS is much easier and safer. also if you go to some places like autzone they have lifetime warranties on there pads, so when the next brake job comes, you bring the old ones back and they give you new ones, FOR FREE!!! just buy rotors.

I understand your reasoning towards internet brakes, but I have ordered multiple brake jobs from Rock Auto with no issues. They list which rotors are which types, and a quick google and/or forum search and you're 100% set. If all else fails you could pop a rotor off and measure it to make sure you are getting the right ones.

Too many projects, too little time...

Archived