Second Skin Audio

port size/length for solox18 tuned 30hz 10cubes

I've posted this same question in the Kicker forum and am also awaiting a response from stillwater designs tech department, but I am looking for any input I can get. So the manual says that 10 cubes with 150square inches port 21" inches long tunes to 35hz. I've never owned a solo x 18 before and want to stick to 10c.f. but tune to 30hz. It'll be sub up port back in a 1999 Isuzu Vehicross with a 2500.1 pushin it. There will be a plexi window in front and back of the box so I'd like to stay with this configuration. I'm not sure if a square sub like this works with the box tuning calculator, so my question is what my port area and length would need to be to tune to 30hz. I currently have a L715" in a Tacoma in a 4.5cf box tuned to 32 hz. and I would like to tune just a bit lower. Is it possble that the 18 tuned to 35hz in a big box will hit lower than the 15 tuned to 32hz in a medium size box already? Thanks in advance

no you're a towell

99 Isuzu Vehicross FTW

DC 5K (would like to be 7.5K)

DC 350.4

(2X) SOLOX 18s WALL 17 CUBES

(3X) XS D3100'S REAR / (1X) D3400 FRONT

Kenwood Excelon flip-out w/rear view and navi

Singer Alt FTW

TOO LAZY TO LOG BUILD, MAYBE TOMORROW

shape of the sub wont matter to how the sub "works" with a box calculator.

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp

Edited by STEvil

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

shape of the sub wont matter to how the sub "works" with a box calculator.

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp

Thanks that makes sense for the tuning but how the hell fuck do you figure port area for a sub? It seems that sub size and shape would factor in here and I've read on this forum that the solox is very picky about it's enclosure

no you're a towell

99 Isuzu Vehicross FTW

DC 350.4

Singer Alt FTW

Your 18 SoloX won't hit lower @ 35Hz then your L7 @ 32Hz... Box size doesn't matter in this situation. It's all in the tuning. Your box could be 20 cubes, but if it's tuned to 35Hz it's not going to really hit any lower then a 4 cubed box tuned to 35Hz... Port area is the "area" of the port itself. For example, if I had a slot port that was 10" tall and 5" wide, that would be 50in of port area (10x5) Length x Width for area. For round ports it's a little different. if it's a 10" round port you take the radius(divide the diameter by 2) which is 5in, and square it (5x5) which is 25, than times that by pi (3.14) and that equals 78.5in of port area. So a 8" round port would be (4x4=16) than 16x3.14= 50.24in. It's really simple once you get the hang of it. So if you want 150in of port area and you're doing a slot port, you're going to want your port to be something like 20" tall x 7.5" wide (20 x 7.5 = 150in). This will depend on the dimensions of your box, though

2 HDC3 18's

AQ2200D

Thanks skrilla forilla but I meant how do you determine how much area you need for a certain size box volume/driver. What is theadvantage of a bigger box? Gets louder for some subs?

no you're a towell

99 Isuzu Vehicross FTW

DC 350.4

Singer Alt FTW

Thanks skrilla forilla but I meant how do you determine how much area you need for a certain size box volume/driver. What is theadvantage of a bigger box? Gets louder for some subs?

do 15 square inches per cube.

That's what I'm lookin for thanks mang

no you're a towell

99 Isuzu Vehicross FTW

DC 350.4

Singer Alt FTW

Your 18 SoloX won't hit lower @ 35Hz then your L7 @ 32Hz... Box size doesn't matter in this situation. It's all in the tuning. Your box could be 20 cubes, but if it's tuned to 35Hz it's not going to really hit any lower then a 4 cubed box tuned to 35Hz... Port area is the "area" of the port itself. For example, if I had a slot port that was 10" tall and 5" wide, that would be 50in of port area (10x5) Length x Width for area. For round ports it's a little different. if it's a 10" round port you take the radius(divide the diameter by 2) which is 5in, and square it (5x5) which is 25, than times that by pi (3.14) and that equals 78.5in of port area. So a 8" round port would be (4x4=16) than 16x3.14= 50.24in. It's really simple once you get the hang of it. So if you want 150in of port area and you're doing a slot port, you're going to want your port to be something like 20" tall x 7.5" wide (20 x 7.5 = 150in). This will depend on the dimensions of your box, though

box size, tuning, and port area always matter imo