Sundown Audio

PHASE in or out

P4killer_

Ok its just a phase switch. phase controls basically if the sub pushes in or out. so if you mount it inverted usually you have to invert the phase. or if you can use a multi amp setup and have one amp pushing and other other pulling.

usually there is a 0-180 setting in which case i leave it at 0

however on this amp its not on off 0-180 its in or out kinda wierd.

now i know it doesnt matter reaaly since ive only got 1 amp and one sub, but i wanna make sure i got this right.

189116_10150223049437796_527012795_9251974_6411024_n.jpg

i mean im guessing set it to out as you want the sub to go outward. not that it really matters like i said, but just because ive never seen it like this. what yall think?

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

first of all speakers work on alternating current so they still push in and out. And secondly ill just copy and paste what i helped a guy out on here in the home theater section with when he had a question about phase...

It is used to help make the bass notes reproduce at the same time that the front speakers will be producing the same sound. Lets say for example you have a movie on and a sudden explosion just happened in the movie, well if your subwoofer was out of phase you would notice that your subwoofer will play the sound of the explosion first and then hear the front/center channel speakers play the explosion a little later (this can be the other way around as well). This is basically delay because the bass takes a little bit longer to travel than your front/center speakers do. The easiest thing you can do to try out the phase for the best results is to set up your furniture and everything just as if you are going to sit down and relax and watch a movie or listen to some music. Set the phase to 0 and listen to the music, if you hear some delay in the bass notes from the front speakers playing the same music/tone then you should try to replay the same soundtrack with your phase set to 180. It should fix the delay you may have experienced. Or you can just listen to something with bass and set the phase to 0 and see if its loud and then have a friend or somebody help you switch it to 180 and see if it gets louder. If the sub is in phase it will be louder than if it was out of phase. (sorry for the long explanation)

So just play with the switch and see which one is louder and see which one will prevent you from canceling out certain frequencies. Like if you have a test tone playing through your entire system, if the speakers are out of phase from eachother, that test tone will be very low sounding, if even at all. When they are all in phase the tone will be loud and clear. So play around with it and see which setting suits your needs and if you need help, i can help you out.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

sorry i was a little un clear. I know speakers go in and out, i meant to say it switches the polarity. like when you pop test a sub with a battery if you hook the + to + and - to - the speaker moves outward. reverse that and naturally it moves inward. I thought the phase switch simply switches the polarity of the ac output to the speaker. and as we agree speakers move in and out it shouldnt matter as long as all the speakers are moving in the same direction ie:. they wont cancel e.o other out. but if i have only 1 sub does it really matter which way its moving? i understand that ideally the sub should be in phase that is to say moving in the same direction and timing as the regular door speakers etc but it would be hard to notice as the bass from the sub woofer is much louder below ~80hz... my question is really what would you set it at. usually i leave it at 0. i always have with no prblems so would you consider in or out setting as "0".

in case ur wondering the manual says crap about this

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

apparently its a complicated subject and the answer seems to be play with it and go with what sounds better. i love vague solutions. it doesnt much matter imo, i was jw the official answer.

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

It should in all honesty be set to in because normally the door speakers are in meaning like how u said the battery test will pull the speaker in. It shouldn't make a whole hell of a lot of difference. To be honest I never seen the phase matter unless it was a sealed enclosure setup.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

And fyi, there's a ton of guides online about the phase settings if u want all the details. Just Google subwoofer phase or setting subwoofer phase. Normally it should be set to in. I have on rare occasions seen a setup on out for the phase.

It should in all honesty be set to in because normally the door speakers are in meaning like how u said the battery test will pull the speaker in. It shouldn't make a whole hell of a lot of difference. To be honest I never seen the phase matter unless it was a sealed enclosure setup.

well if you connect the battery in paralell + to + and - to - , speakers move outward... so if thats your logic it should be out.

but yea i know it really doesnt matter. like i said in OP i was just seeing if theres an official thought about this instead of ppl saying just leave it at w.e or ya know try it and see if you like it kinda stuff

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Crunk it is used for that and like I described in the second post. Its a big topic and research online can do wonders for a real answer. And op, idk how ur woofer moved outwards cuz all mine moved in a little. But oh well. Maybe someone on here knows.

its more likely that i got it back ward. i googled it also. and as i said i just get :set it and see if u like it" type crap.

its no big deal just wanted to brainstorm a lil. sometimes i have thoughts about otherwise common / easier procedures and just like to keep things clear by checking against what other ppl say is all :P

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000