ever since i acquired my 1992 plymouth sundance it has spit out black carbon and it stains the ground if it stays there long enough. i did all the maintainence, new cap and rotor new plugs and wires, dropped the oil, new air filter, replaced valve cover gasket. the spark plugs on the 2 left side cylinders of the inline 4 were black and carbon marked. i took the plugs out a month later to inspect and found they were alot cleaner, however carbon was still slipping out the exhaust. What could be causing this to happen?

chevrolet all day er day.

'81 camaro z28 performance

'03 silverado ext cab show and go

rich air/fuel. check your air filter, if its clogged then that will happen. also check your fuel injectors if it has them or whatever fuel delivery you have. one or more may be stuck open or stuck on all the time...

ya it has fuel injectors. i thought that may also be a problem so i put injector cleaner into the gas tank with a full tank of gas. and sprayed some carb cleaner directly into the injector. that being said it could still be the injectors.

chevrolet all day er day.

'81 camaro z28 performance

'03 silverado ext cab show and go

ya it has fuel injectors. i thought that may also be a problem so i put injector cleaner into the gas tank with a full tank of gas. and sprayed some carb cleaner directly into the injector. that being said it could still be the injectors.

did you check your air filter to see if somethings blocking the air flow? They're relatively cheap, and if yours hasn't been replaced in awhile and if it's pretty dirty, you may want to replace it.

First System

2002 Impala LS 3.8L V6, 128,365k miles.

Alternator: DC Power 190Amp H/O Alternator

Headunit: Kenwood KDC-BT945U.

Speakers: MBQuart 6.5" Comps, 6x9 3-way.

Amplifer: Eclipse 3322 on front 6.5 components, and a Infinity Kappa One @ 2ohm- 800w

Subwoofers: 2 REAudio SRX12D2 wired to 2 ohm.

Box: 3.1cuft box tuned to 33hz. sealed off to cabin

Big 3- done with all Knukonceptz KCA 0 gauge.

Don't drop below 14.1v at full tilt. :)

ok well the problem is air/fuel ratio. it is a rich mixture. like i said, air filter, air tube, and fuel injectors... that is your problem, somewhere in those things. check them all and then tell me what you get.

• 1 month later...

Is it a diesel by chance? That may be something to look at! Lol

so far...

HU- pioneer DEH-P59001B

Amp- crescendo BC2000D

Wire- 1/0 awg welding lead

Electric- Big 3 ^same wire

Subs- 2 Obsidian Audio 12 d4's

Box 4ft^3 ported at 33hz. designed by Ram-Designs

its o2 sensor. my car is running very rich right now cuz of the same thing. if you go wipe your finger in the tail pipe it will be black from the un burnt fuel. the stuff your seeing on the ground is from condensation in the exhaust and it just drips out along with the carbon

Edited by Loudcivic

2015 silverado crew cab

nothing atm but soon...