Sonic Electronix

I want to get sound deadener but damplifier is so expensive. Has anybody had experience with peal and seal? Does it work good?

I have experience with it, my trunk is full of it. Does it work good? It did a hell of a job in my trunk! I only used it on the horizontal surfaces though, I heard it doesn't stick too well on vertical surfaces after a while. But I'd have no problem buying it again! The rest of my car is DP'd out, I just ran out by the time I got back to the trunk so peel n seal had to get the job done and it's doing damn good! I have damn near no rattle coming from my trunk, but unless the song is a super duper slapper and I have it maxed out, no rattles for me :woot:

i got to your post and your avatar distracted me . . . . . . . . whats this thread about again.

look at my super internets it beast!

http://speedtest.net/result/906958776.png

]You meant objective, right?

What you said above (see bold print) is so far the most logical and reasonable case against asphalt based products like P&S. All that other stuff about JUST lowering the resonant frequency wasn't very moving, matter of fact that's the intended purpose of sound dampening materials so you actually made a case for using P&S :good:

As for VOC's, there are millions of products that contain VOC's that we come into contact with on a daily basis. Things like tire dressing, hair spray, and daily household products, so if VOC's haven't killed us by now.....I know about VOC's all too well, alot of car care products I really like I can't get anymore due to not being VOC compliant here in Cali so if the VOC's contained in P&S were as serious as you're trying to make it seem I promise you this would be the first state to ban it.

LOL Yes I mean objective. Sometimes my fingers go faster than my little brain can think.

Mass loading only reduces the resonant frequency of the panel. They've been using this technology for years and it does work, but it's not the most effective or efficient method of vibration control.

The way a CLD mat works is by converting the vibrational energy in to low level heat. This is why the thickness of the butyl core and the thickness and stiffness of the aluminum is crucial.

This conversion of energy is three or more times more efficient than the mass loading. This is why you can have a smaller and lighter weight CLD mat applied and achieve better results than a traditional mass loader or asphalt mat.

Two different ways of controlling vibrations.

And I'm not trying to make installing P&S in a vehicle sound dangerous or detrimental to ones health, it's just unpleasant.

Later,

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

LOL at disproving the statement that Peel and Seal doesnt work. i havent seen that done, this argument is pointless as those who know how useless peel and seal is will not change their mind and those who think it will do all it needs to do will continue to think so. good to see a lot more interaction with the SecondSkin reps, and if you feel like buying it. do it. youre not going to cough out the extra dollars because someone else told you to.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

I can't stress this enough. DO NOT USE PEEL AND SEAL!

There are a ton of companies out there that make better quality products than peel and seal. Dynamat, eDead, Second Skin, Audiotechnix, Raammat, FATMat, etc.

And there is a huge importance between the thickness of the butyl core and the thickness of the aluminum constrained layer, both of which the peel and seal lack (as well as some of the cheaper sound deadening materials). Without this correct ratio you are more or less just adding weight to the panel (mass loading) and not actually controlling the vibrations.

In my opinion, avoid doing it on the cheap and buy a product that was specifically designed for sound deadening.

Later,

of course your going to say that because you work for a rival and clearly more expensive company

id use audiotechnix deadener no smell and fairly cheap

Vehicle: 2017 Chevrolet Silverado High Country

Electrical: 320A Singer Alt, (2) Limitless Lithium 15ah, Full Throttle FT680-48

Speakers: Stevens Audio SA 6 (ACTIVE), Audio Designs 3”

Subwoofer: (4) B2 Audio XM 8’s

Amplifiers: (2) B2 Audio Rage 2500.1, (1) B2 Audio Rage 1200.6

Processors: NavTv M650 (integration), Helix DSP Pro MK2

Silverado Build Log

of course your going to say that because you work for a rival and clearly more expensive company

id use audiotechnix deadener no smell and fairly cheap

I haven't had the opportunity to use Audiotechnix's. Maybe I should along with Rumble Mat and Zilla Mat (too many products out there these days...).

But yes I would recommend using Audiotechnix's instead of P&S since it's not filled with asphalt or bitumen.

Later,

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

]You meant objective, right?

What you said above (see bold print) is so far the most logical and reasonable case against asphalt based products like P&S. All that other stuff about JUST lowering the resonant frequency wasn't very moving, matter of fact that's the intended purpose of sound dampening materials so you actually made a case for using P&S :good:

As for VOC's, there are millions of products that contain VOC's that we come into contact with on a daily basis. Things like tire dressing, hair spray, and daily household products, so if VOC's haven't killed us by now.....I know about VOC's all too well, alot of car care products I really like I can't get anymore due to not being VOC compliant here in Cali so if the VOC's contained in P&S were as serious as you're trying to make it seem I promise you this would be the first state to ban it.

LOL Yes I mean objective. Sometimes my fingers go faster than my little brain can think.

Mass loading only reduces the resonant frequency of the panel. They've been using this technology for years and it does work, but it's not the most effective or efficient method of vibration control.

The way a CLD mat works is by converting the vibrational energy in to low level heat. This is why the thickness of the butyl core and the thickness and stiffness of the aluminum is crucial.

This conversion of energy is three or more times more efficient than the mass loading. This is why you can have a smaller and lighter weight CLD mat applied and achieve better results than a traditional mass loader or asphalt mat.

Two different ways of controlling vibrations.

And I'm not trying to make installing P&S in a vehicle sound dangerous or detrimental to ones health, it's just unpleasant.

My point was that lowering the resonant frequency of the panel is the intended purpose of sound dampening materials, but you made it sound like it was some sort of trick or illusion the asphalt products is able to do that makes us think it's behaving like one. And like I said above, the overwhelming majority of sound dampening material installations I've seen here look more like the first picture than the second, so there are clearly not many people who are able to take advantage of the fact that less material is needed which kind of negates the advantage.

I'm not gonna pretend I know more about sound dampening materials than you but I hate it when people say blatantly ridiculous things like "all it does is lower the resonant frequency of the panel"......that's all it's supposed to do! I've never heard anyone say "man, I gotta get some Second Skin Damplifier Pro so I can convert the vibrations to low level heat!" They wanna lower the frequency at which the panels resonate so the rattling noise is lessened/eliminated.

I've had P&S in my trunk for a year or two now and triple digits are the norm here June-Sept/Oct, I never knew about the P&S becoming solid and brittle as the VOC's cook out of them so i'm gonna go see how that's holding up :ehh:

LOL at disproving the statement that Peel and Seal doesnt work. i havent seen that done, this argument is pointless as those who know how useless peel and seal is will not change their mind and those who think it will do all it needs to do will continue to think so. good to see a lot more interaction with the SecondSkin reps, and if you feel like buying it. do it. youre not going to cough out the extra dollars because someone else told you to.

People are saying P&S has no sound dampening properties, does nothing and is worthless, I posted a video that proves otherwise, if people choose to ignore the facts then that's their choice. But to say you haven't seen me prove otherwise is just plain stupid.

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

you proved only that something with more mass will not vibrate as easy, vibration and resonance are two different subjects completely and furthermore you only proved what i said...the cycle will CONTINUE NON STOP.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

second skin sounds ftw.

Steve I don't know why but everytime I see your new paint I want a Dr. Pepper...... is this normal?

heres an analogy for you. running a high power stereo without a fuse is like having unprotected sex with that hot chick at the bar with the sketchy sexual history. Sure you may be fine and nothing happens but that one time something does happen you're fucked.

i dont want woofer broke like bass sound clip clip and voice coil overheat

2 sa12s, saz1500 build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/91183-chapo123s-sundown-build-log/page__gopid__1250604entry1250604

1j1450.png

If you dont have money........ How can i say this........ SAVE UNTILL YOU GOT ENOUGH FOR ACTUAL DEADENER. ive used peel and seal, i though jt was ok till i got something else, my trunk smelled like tar. it didnt wanna stick that well the first few months, i had to use something to stick it on and even then it still got loose. Andbthe sticky stuff got pushed out on the edges.... Alot. The tar always got on my luggage when i loaded up my trunk.

But this is just me and this looks like a endless argument on why peel and seal is good. I would save up more and get something that is a actual deadener. It might bug you that your car rattles amd stuff for a few more weeks while yiu save but it will be damn worth it

Hahah damn cody

She ain't that sexy. I wouldn't even let her blow me. Those 10 pounds of make up would end up all over my crotch.

you dont find dubstep, dubstep finds you

hu: Pioneer MVH - P8300BT

mids: Alpine sps-600 all four corners

highs: Addictive Audio ECST25A,Memphis PR tweeters back

sub: 15 inch crossfire bmf

box: 4 cubes at 38 hz

amp: Rockford Fosgate Power 1000 25 To Life

140.7 on a non sealed trunk car with a five channel so far (old sub audiobahn aw1505q)

Build Log

http://www.stevemead...ima-56k-beware/

Feedback

http://www.stevemead...s-bfd-feedback/

you proved only that something with more mass will not vibrate as easy, vibration and resonance are two different subjects completely and furthermore you only proved what i said...the cycle will CONTINUE NON STOP.

:orly3:

So vibration has nothing to do with resonance???

:okasshat:

I feel dumber just reading that retarded ass comment from you

So my final response in this thread is this.....if money is tight or you just don't want to spend the money it costs to get something like SS DP, Peel n' Seal will get the job done. Just make sure you clean the surface really good....I do a wipedown with warm water and a rag first, then follow that up with a rag and rubbing alcohol.....make sure the surface is dry before you apply it and roll it on really good. I just went out and checked how my Peel n' Seal is doing after being applied in my trunk now for a year or two and it's just fine. Still pliable in the spots where it covered a large opening in the metal, still sticking like a champ, not smelly at all and my trunk still doesn't rattle. I'm not gonna say it is as good or better than any other deadener, or try to discredit what the Second Skin rep is saying about it getting brittle and what not, but it's getting the job done ;)

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

Archived