Second Skin Audio

Any feedback on SSA Dcon 12"?

I was wondering if anyone here has owned/heard an SSA Dcon 12" sub and if you could give me a review. What I'm mainly looking for is how good is the sound quality, how does it handle lows (20-30hz), and the durability/handling of the sub when given its RMS of 300 watts. Just for reference I'm going to have it on 300 watts (maybe more) in a box around 2.25-2.5 cu. ft. tuned to around 28hz.

It will be quite loud for 300W and it will sound great.

It's going to have quite a lot of lows if u tune it that low but you should stick with what SSA recommends.

I forgot to attach a link to the sub specs which I'll do in this reply. It says optimal for one 12" Dcon is 2.25 Cu. Ft and tuned to 28-33hz, their site even gives decent free box designs for their subs. There isn't many people on youtube with a single 12" Dcon and its very hard to get a decent feedback through shitty camera mics and most people aren't tuned to 28hz or using the same box types. Just trying to make sure I'll be happy with this price wise 'cheap' sub.

http://www.ssaudio.com/index.php/product-information/dcon.html

I was wondering if anyone here has owned/heard an SSA Dcon 12" sub and if you could give me a review. What I'm mainly looking for is how good is the sound quality, how does it handle lows (20-30hz), and the durability/handling of the sub when given its RMS of 300 watts. Just for reference I'm going to have it on 300 watts (maybe more) in a box around 2.25-2.5 cu. ft. tuned to around 28hz.

Tuning that low will blow that sub or create major issues. You are much better off going with what SSA recommends. Really anything under 34 hz is more harmful than helpful. I really wouldnt go with 28 hz even if the site says to.

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |

Elaborate on how tuning low blows a sub.

puts more stress on the suspensions and you have a higher chance on bottoming it out and messing up the coil former. (correct me if im wrong) im going to tune my sa12 to 32 hopefully it will hold up which im pretty sure it will after seeing they can take a lot. i dont know much about these dcons

Tuning that low will blow that sub or create major issues. You are much better off going with what SSA recommends. Really anything under 34 hz is more harmful than helpful. I really wouldnt go with 28 hz even if the site says to.

Wtf? It will not blow the sub.

And if ssa says so, it can be tuned to that frequency without problems.

Tell me why it would be harmfull?

Dcon is a good sub for the money

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Elaborate on how tuning low blows a sub.

puts more stress on the suspensions and you have a higher chance on bottoming it out and messing up the coil former. (correct me if im wrong) im going to tune my sa12 to 32 hopefully it will hold up which im pretty sure it will after seeing they can take a lot. i dont know much about these dcons

Lol, thats when you tune too high.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Low tuning causes the woofer to not get as much air in the vents slow linear movements create better cooling fast big movements create a wobbly catastrophe. On top of that lower freq makes voltage drop a lot worse and if your car can't handle that you could blow your woofer in seconds, over excursion is also something that plays apart if your box is too small or too big or tuning is off/over the woofer will work a lot harder, anything below 30hz I believe requires somewhat of a professional...

Grand Cherokee

Team Backwoods Bumpers

DC 15" Level 3's /w 4 Coils

Pioneer deh4200ub

Pioneer 3-ways

Pioneer Tweeters

Pioneer GM-D9500F

Audiopipe 1500.1D @ 14.4v

Clarion Equalizer

Knuconeptz Kollosus 0ga

Knuconpetz Kollosus 4ga

Coming Soon: 270xp / xs1200

Also tuning too low can cause suspension to break, most of the time spiders tearing is from over-excursion or lows that are too low. It may take 28hz Im not saying dont try it, but if your spider tears or something crazy dont say we didnt warn you. I know my 18 thats based towards lows only does 30-32hz in the T/S specs and this thing is a LOW monster (5 spiders etc.) and any lower than 30hz the subwoofer has a hard time.

Grand Cherokee

Team Backwoods Bumpers

DC 15" Level 3's /w 4 Coils

Pioneer deh4200ub

Pioneer 3-ways

Pioneer Tweeters

Pioneer GM-D9500F

Audiopipe 1500.1D @ 14.4v

Clarion Equalizer

Knuconeptz Kollosus 0ga

Knuconpetz Kollosus 4ga

Coming Soon: 270xp / xs1200