Sonic Electronix

Luckiest man in car audio today

Damn lucky, but I dont think a fuse would have stopped that...

Energy isn't generated from the capacitor itself, therefore it was pulled from the battery... and more than likely in a hurry... because that's how batteries work when there's a shorted circuit. I would bet my system if he had a $15 fuse setup he wouldn't even have a burnt seat right now.

Damn lucky, but I dont think a fuse would have stopped that...

The whole point of a fuse is to blow before anything like this can happen. If too much current is going through the wire, the fuse blows instead of something catching on fire...

i hope you know that guy is no slouch. it also depends on fuse size. if it was a 50 amp fuse, then yeah sure. but...what if it was a '400 amp' fuse? just sayin :pardon::peepwall:

Everyone with even the most basic knowledge of fusing knows that you fuse to the size of the wire. If the wire he was using could have handled 400 amps and that's the size fuse he had on it, the fuse still should have popped before anything went up. The pic looks like 1/0 so fusing should have been 250-300. And just because I only don't post whore on these forums and only have a few hundred posts doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about either :ehh:

From what I can see, the carpeted enclosure for the amps is probably what saved the car from catching fire. It most likely severely limited the amount of air present and the fire quickly died out.

Everyone with even the most basic knowledge of fusing knows that you fuse to the size of the wire. If the wire he was using could have handled 400 amps and that's the size fuse he had on it, the fuse still should have popped before anything went up. The pic looks like 1/0 so fusing should have been 250-300. And just because I only don't post whore on these forums and only have a few hundred posts doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about either :ehh:

From what I can see, the carpeted enclosure for the amps is probably what saved the car from catching fire. It most likely severely limited the amount of air present and the fire quickly died out.

Caps hold a certain amount of power and we have no idea how much it actually took to cause the cap forest in that amp to go into bonfire mode, or if it was something else in the amp completely.

Either way a fused wire from the battery would still have taken several seconds to blow out likely and in fact may never have blown out at all as the shorted connection in the amp may have burned itself off too quickly for the fuse to blow. The cause could even be as simple as a fly or some bug crawling into the amp..

Point is he's damn lucky and with the info provided none of us can tell what was the exact cause, only that the amp failed.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Archived