Sonic Electronix

Read the " speaker noise" posts, still not fixed ???

Ok guys, i installed this small 100w amp to run my Tang Bands in my A-pillars. I have never had any alternator noise in any of my speakers before. I have had the little sub pop when they come on but never any alternator whine until now, i will post the pics below, there is a ground on the hi-input harness and i have it grounded straight to the strut tower where my other grounds are and it is bare metal. But i am using only like 12 gauge wire because its such a small amp. Maybe i need bigger wire ? Please help, this is driving me nuts !!!

IMAG0020.jpgIMAG0024.jpgIMAG0095.jpg

Have to excuse the tape, its all in there temporary until i find the noise problem !

IMAG0103.jpg

There is one other thing, i wired the speaker harness ground into the ground of the amp power harness then ran it out to the strut tower as one wire, as such the speaker harness is grounded into the ground of the amp . Also the amp as you can see is screwed to a plastic glove box, do i need to ground the amp case also ??

rwhops.jpg

if you SUDDENLY develop alternator noise that means the filter in the power supply of the amp has gone bad. There is now a ground loop inside the amp. I'm guessing one of the caps in the PS popped, or one of the resistors opened or a coil has opened

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

if you SUDDENLY develop alternator noise that means the filter in the power supply of the amp has gone bad. There is now a ground loop inside the amp. I'm guessing one of the caps in the PS popped, or one of the resistors opened or a coil has opened

i actually just installed this particular amp for the first time, so ever since ive had it installed its had noise.

rwhops.jpg

i actually just installed this particular amp for the first time, so ever since ive had it installed its had noise.

How long is the ground wire on the amp? And yes you can ground the case of the amp, although it is generally not absolutely necessary as most amps ground internally to the chassis also.

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |

The Amp ground wire is about 4 feet long and it is 12 gauge, it goes from my glove box across the engine compartment to the opposite side strut tower where my battery ground is at . I thought this would be the best place because i had all the paint ground down on it. But now that i think about it , i guess that could be the problem having it grounded in the same place as my battery ground maybe ?? Confused !!!

P.s. There is a wire going from the circuit board to the casing if thats what you mean by the internal ground.

rwhops.jpg

I am sure a resistor poped, I just got this on mine, got a very high pitched whining noise from my subs when a resistor friend on my amp.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm