Mixing lead acid and agm batts

Well I'm going to pick up 5 kinetik batts tonight and I'm wondering if I should just leave my current big lead acid batts for mo powa or if I should just pull them out?? I figure charging voltage is charging voltage and mixing shouldn't matter but I'm just curious as to what your opinions are. I think the kinetiks should be enough for a crescendo and mbquart, 4 hc1400's and an hc2400.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

Many people, sadly I'm not one of them, can estimate current draw based off of the company alone, lol. Which crescendo amp?

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Well I'm going to pick up 5 kinetik batts tonight and I'm wondering if I should just leave my current big lead acid batts for mo powa or if I should just pull them out?? I figure charging voltage is charging voltage and mixing shouldn't matter but I'm just curious as to what your opinions are. I think the kinetiks should be enough for a crescendo and mbquart, 4 hc1400's and an hc2400.

Different sizes of the same batteries is fine. Parallel batteries of the same type work essentially like 1 large cell so the voltage will rise the same for all of them. Components in parallel V1=V2=V3=Vx - Likewise when you are discharging them the small one will not go flat first, they will discharge equally.

The issue with mixing AGM and wet cell batteries is the float voltage. AGMs float quite a lot higher than wet cells normally so there will be a charge imbalance between the batteries. Since everything will tend towards equilibrium the batteries will constantly try to balance themselves out which eventually results in everything being flat.

In the real world however... it doesn't matter. I've run stock batteries up front (CBF modding for bigger ones) with AGM battery banks in the back and never had any issues with either charging or the car going flat.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

i constantly hear that its bad to mix battery types. i have never seen anything bad happen from doing it though.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

The key to mixing batteries is to make sure that they are all fully charged when you begin hooking them up or you can have some problems.

EDIT: I'm referring to all other batteries except the dry cell optima ones.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Thanks for the replies, im going to try it, maybe do a test, put my agm bank in and test the resting voltage for a few days and then put the lead acid in and repeat. BTW its a Crescendo bass clef 3500d.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

its not about charging the batteries 1st and its not a resting voltage thing. the different batteries will discharge at different rates and have different resistances. therefor more stress will be put on some batteries and not others. the same thing can happen with alternators.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Oh ok I gotcha...they ended up not being kinetiks...dunno how I feel about these but i'll give them a shot for the price i paid

2011-05-13_20-38-56_689.jpg

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

shiruken? those are the same as kinetiks. made at the same place and both companies just resell them.

assuming all batteries are at a good charged state, those shurikens and kinetik will perform nicely together.

06 GP GXP

Google Nexus 7 16gb

Rockford Fosgate 3SIXTY.3

*Electrical*

DC Power 320a HP

2 - Juicebox Bananas g31

Stinger SPP2250 rear

Kinetik HC1800 side of wall

Optima Red Top front

Monster Cable 1/0, 2 runs to rear

Monster Cable 1/0 Big 3

2-Rockford Fosgate T1652S's

Rockford Fosgate T400-4

Rockford Fosgate T40001bd (4693rms @1ohm)

4-Sundown SA-15 D2's wired @ 1ohm/These are on the way out for 4 one off Eminent Audio 15's

15.2 cubes net tuned @34hz! Walled off

DBdrag official 151.6db @46hz

GXP Build log!:GP GXP Walled

Quality is the sign of a true enthusiast!

Refs: Link to leave more: http://www.stevemead...91#entry1603091

Bought from: Trippi (RF T2500bd, T1000-4),bre2ts (25ft Knu 1/0)

Sold to: shmew22 (T1500bdCP), Rev. Wrath (RF 3SIXTY.1), trjohnst (Knu 1/0, 3 fuse holders), Enemyofsilence (Audio Technix, RF T400-4).

Archived