Alternator Belt Squeel.

I'm having some of the same issue, but it just chirps for a bit, then calms down and doesn't do it anymore. I just chalked mine up to the high humidity area, where I live. It doesn't do it all the time, but does in the morning and sometimes after sitting all day. Doesn't make much sense to me. When I first got the Mechman Alt, the new belt didn't squeak at all, then started after like 2 weeks. So, who knows?!

Float mounted IPad Mini playing through Bluetooth

IStreamer for Iphone or Ipad

Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3

RE Audio XXX 6.5's in each door with a second set soon to be added to the front doors

Two Rockford T600-4's for the components

Blowthrough with two Sundown SA-8's

RF T1500-bd's for the subs

8000k H.I.D.'s in headlights and fogs

Lifted 2" in front and 2" in back (soon to be installed a Suspension Maxx 1.5" body lift)

17" Ultra Rogue 175's on Nitto Trail Grappler 285/17 70's

Undercover Bedcover

Surco Roof Rack

Five Hella Lights on front bumper

270A Mechman Alternator

Two Optima Yellow Top batteries

Dynamat double layered each door and roof, quadruple layered on back wall, single layered on floor with Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro on top.

Lem I wouldn't oil anything on the alt. and Audio I bought a belt bigger because the stock belt was to small. now squeaks on start up after car has sat over night or a few hours. My car has no auto tensioner just a set screw that the more you tighten screw the tighter belt gets. That screw is already 1/2 inch from the cross screw that goes into alt ear to hold it in place limit on bracket. I wonder how tight it should be if it needs more fine but I don't want mess up the alt over tightening the belt.

That sucks, i hate engines without the auto tensioning belts. They are a pain in the ass to get right. But what i usually do (this isnt accurate as we are all different in strength) but i pull onto the belt and see how far i can stretch it before it gets really hard to pull. Then i measure how far i pulled it up. If its going farther than a inch to a inch and a half then your belt is way too loose and id say loosen it up. If its anything less than 3/4 of a inch then its too tight. I keep mine at a inch but mine is a auto tensioning belt system so i just adjust it with getting bigger or smaller belts.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Apollo about a hour from downtown Pittsburgh..

Damn, 5 hours from me.

yeah i haven't found anyone close to me yet

2009 Malibu LTZHead Unit - Pioneer AVH-P4300DVDSubs - 2 DC Audio m2 XL 15'sAmplifier - DC 5kWire - KnukonceptzAlternator - OhioGenBatteries - 2 XS Power 3100's, 1 d4700

I just don't want the belt snapping while I drive. Is that a chance with the chirping belt?

Float mounted IPad Mini playing through Bluetooth

IStreamer for Iphone or Ipad

Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3

RE Audio XXX 6.5's in each door with a second set soon to be added to the front doors

Two Rockford T600-4's for the components

Blowthrough with two Sundown SA-8's

RF T1500-bd's for the subs

8000k H.I.D.'s in headlights and fogs

Lifted 2" in front and 2" in back (soon to be installed a Suspension Maxx 1.5" body lift)

17" Ultra Rogue 175's on Nitto Trail Grappler 285/17 70's

Undercover Bedcover

Surco Roof Rack

Five Hella Lights on front bumper

270A Mechman Alternator

Two Optima Yellow Top batteries

Dynamat double layered each door and roof, quadruple layered on back wall, single layered on floor with Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro on top.

I just don't want the belt snapping while I drive. Is that a chance with the chirping belt?

It depends. Usually from what ive seen working on cars with my dad for 10 years is that with belts when they chirp its usually caused from either the pulley being loose and not putting enough tension on all of the pulleys, your pulley itself may need some oils (very rare that this happens), your belt has glazing on it which means its deteriorating, or you have some moisture or humidity in the air to make it slip until it can get warm or rub off the moisture after a few minutes. On rare occasions with my truck if its a really humid day my belt will squeak for a minute until i drive it for the length of one block then it stops completely.

What id do to make sure your belt wont snap if you tighten it is to take it off and inspect the ENTIRE belt. Make sure that there are no grooves that are cut out, bent out of shape or deformed. If they are then its time to replace the belt as it is slipping too much. Also what i like to do is to take the belt and bend it so that the ribbed part of the belt is bent outward. Then look at it, if you see that its cracked or hard to bend then its time to replace the belt asap.

Also check your engine for this. Look at the pulleys on your engine or any parts of your engine that go over the area of your belt. Look to see if you have any black residue on it. If you do this means your belt is coming apart from either slipping or it had something come into contact with it. With my old belt on my truck before i replaced it, i had a drop of power steering fluid hit the belt and even though i cleaned it off immediately, it still gummed up the belt on the one spot where the drop hit.

Also when you take the belt off check every one of your pulleys to see if they are worn out. For example if you have a bad air compressor the pulley sometimes seems to wobble. Testing it is just like how you can test your tires for a bad wheel bearing. Grab the pulley at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions and try to move it left and right. If it moves then that pulley is bad and needs to be replaced. If it doesnt then try to put your hands on the 12 and 6 o'clock positions and pull up and down to see if the pulley moves. Same as before, if it wobbles then you need to replace the pulley, if not then your pulley is in good working order.

And finally, do NOT EVER spray anything onto the pulleys to try and stop squealing. This will only splatter onto the belt and cause it to slip. Think of it as if you put bearing grease on your brake rotors. Your car wont stop well if you do this. Well same thing with your belt, if you oil it, your belt will tend to slip more. The only thing you should do if your bearing is in need of lubrication is to take the pulley apart and put bearing grease onto the pulleys bearings and put it back together which is a pain in the ass to do. You can easily tell which pulley is squealing by rotating it by hand. Now dont be a dumbass and try to turn your engines crankshaft or other major pulleys (the large ones) as they will be damn near impossible to turn, but spin your small ones and see if any of them squeal when you move the back and forth. If they do then they need some lubrication or replacement.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Holy short stories batman lol just messin with ya, read thru all of it you have some good info there :good:

Mine is also the bolt kind, no tensioner. with my HO alt the pulley was smaller but the stock belt was just the right size, no squealing while it ran but it would do it at start up, so went out and got a smaller belt (1/2in smaller) and i had to slip the belt on and then bolt it on to get it to work, once i had that it only have it about 1/2in to move, now its alittle tighter than before

i seen there was some stuff on the smooth pulley to the right of the alt (if your standing on the right of the car) def clean that one up might be the one thats making the noise, thought u said the squealing was gone?!