Second Skin Audio

New box design. MDF thickness?

I've come up with a new box design that will allow me to fire my sub forward and seal it off. The only issue is I won't cut any metal and to make it fit i'll have to use 1/2"mdf for the top and bottom of the box. The rest of the box will still be 3/4" plus a double baffle. Will this work ok with enough bracing? Thinking I should resin the inside as well. Feedback please.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Resin won't so much for you unless you're matting as well. But why not get some flat stock or angle iron and bolt it to the top?

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

Alright, been doing some math and I can't build it 12.5" high. The top and bottom pieces gotta be max 1/2" so I can fit it in, get the airspace I need, and have the box be removeable. So besides NeoFrog's idea, is there a kind of wood I can use that won't flex at 1/2" thick? Some kind of hard wood that doesn't cost a body part.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Alright, been doing some math and I can't build it 12.5" high. The top and bottom pieces gotta be max 1/2" so I can fit it in, get the airspace I need, and have the box be removeable. So besides NeoFrog's idea, is there a kind of wood I can use that won't flex at 1/2" thick? Some kind of hard wood that doesn't cost a body part.

i would say birch but that does cost a body part lol

2014 Chevy Silverado Crewcab

1994 Chevy Full Size blazer

You cant double it up? Are you that tight on airspace?

If you cant then just brace brace brace the hell out of it.

Are you only running a single 12?

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

i would say birch but that does cost a body part lol

Im thinking Birch, too. Just save up a little for it.

You cant double it up? Are you that tight on airspace?

If you cant then just brace brace brace the hell out of it.

Are you only running a single 12?

MAX height is 12.5. The box would be 13 high if I used 3/4 mdf. I can't lower overall height, because I lose too much volume and I want to be able to remove this thing.

Yes, single 12 firing forward, it'll be sealed off of course.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

A single 12 shouldn't rip that box apart. Some bracing should do.

I jsut had the idea to use some solid angle iron across the pieces as bracing. That stuff shouldn't allow panel flex.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

a max height of 12.5 is fine for 3/4 mdf. your sub cutout will be 11 and an eighth if your routing the hole out just rout through the sizes a 16th top and bottom and your golden. honestly an easy box to make work. just make sure your front face is the 12.5.

If your double baffleing you really dont have to worry at all about height because again its only a 11 and an 8th cutout for the sub the mounting will be within your 12.5

a max height of 12.5 is fine for 3/4 mdf. your sub cutout will be 11 and an eighth if your routing the hole out just rout through the sizes a 16th top and bottom and your golden. honestly an easy box to make work. just make sure your front face is the 12.5.

If your double baffleing you really dont have to worry at all about height because again its only a 11 and an 8th cutout for the sub the mounting will be within your 12.5

The problem is I need that extra 1/2" for box volume. My width and depth are already maxed out. If I use 3/4, it will fit, but I will have only 1.4 cubes. With the thinner wood, my volume is 1.68, pretty close to almost too small. I need to be able to take it in and out through the trunk.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread