Transmission people? if there are any... please help

I know SMD isnt a place for questions like this, but there might be sombody out there thats been in the same boat or that has more knowledge then me on the subject.... i have this on other websites as well trying to get help

I have a 1998 silverado 5.0L. about a month ago my tranny went out. I had a 4l60e in my garage i bought on craigslist (big mistake) for my other truck. When we removed the old trans and did the swap, counted splines, it was a direct fit and it was good to go... for 2 weeks. then that that one lost all its gears...

so I took it to Transmissions Only here in sacramento. 1600$ dollars later the guy 'repaired' it and i got the truck back. it drove great for a week, then it started having a problem....

when the truck is cold, like after going to sleep at night, coming out next morning cold, when you put it in reverse out of the driveway, then put it into Drive its in 2nd or 3rd gear... and when i start driving, it will not go into 4th. Also when i get off the freeway back into town, i try putting it in 1 2 and 3 and it still dosnt bring it down. so the light turns green, im in 3rd gear pushing on the gas. so when im on the freeway doing 65mph at 3200rpm im guzzling gas. so after i get to where im going, if i shut off the truck for around 10 mins or more, when i get back in the truck it works wonderful, shifts no problems, downshifts everything.

I took it back to the tranny guy today and he plugs it into a Snap On Verus digital scanner thing. he showed the codes it was throwing:

- p0102 mass airflow sensor voltage low input

- p0740 torque converter clutch circuit open

- p0785 shift timing solenoid

when he repaired the transmission, he changed the tourque converter, both shift solenoids, gasket seal kits, transco valve correction, carbon fiber clutch kit, bushing kit, epc solenoid,pan filter, and atf.

we cleared the obd2 when i left the shop, and it did drive fine for 2 weeks with no problems at all. so after those codes showing, he did some bullshit on the snap on and it 'recommended' due to the other data it collected that my ignision switch could be to blame. is this true or do you think its bullshit? i kinda feel like hes giving me the runaround, but i just dont understant transmissions.... ignition switch is a 100 bucks and im not gonna buy it unless other people tell me that could be the problem...

im sorry guys i know this post it long, but i wanted to try and get as much info in as i could, pleeease help

Edited by numatik

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

West Sacramento, California

Vehicle build log (1) 'Aayla' Numatik's one and only, bodydropped pasted the doors Chevy S-20 Ext-Ext cab. This project ended after a horrible horrible motorcycle accident. There are so many mods it would fill an entire page in my sig. Check it out if you have A LOT of time to kill. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/39785-numatiks-doored-s-20-bodydropped-on-doors-ext-ext-cab-10-subs-full-frame-build/?hl=%20numatik#39;s

Vehicle build log (2) 'Snow White' Daily/showstopper 2004 Chevy Silverado

Lays on 22s soon for 26s to run a beefy tire on 4s (4) 5gal tanks, (3)AZOB2 pumps, Slam digital stealth two speed valves with 16 solenoids, Slam SS bags all around, ART upper and lower arms, KP Components 6-link, KP Components watts link, Panther juice 6 22s, Spikes EVERYWHERE. 3,600WRMS total, (5) Kicker amps, (2) L7 15s under raised back seats, 15" screen molded to dash, 36 speakers total all Mb Quartz and Fosgate. Fiberglass console with removable face plates and arm rests, flushed speakers, lots of toggle switches, Playstation 2, rear view camera, Suede and leather seats, suede headliner, Dakota Digital air gauges, voltage gauges, and current draw gauges. (2) XS Power 4800 batteries, Whole truck is flat black and white and the

ENTIRE truck is fully pin striped by TJ Pagano here in Sacramento.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/123328-numatiks-bagged-2004-silverado/

smdsig1.png

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I am proof" - Numatik

Its a long shot on the ignition but if it sends a faulty signal toothed transmission or if its intermittent, the transmission computer might think its malfunctioning completely. Check connections for corrosion and make sure everything is tight. If it still persists is have to say something is faulty with the solenoids they put in, but check the connections first.

DC SOUND LAB NUT HUGGER

Currently Own
4 - 18" lvl 6s (m3) w/full Carbon Fiber option

2 - DC 5k

lvl 4 motor

lvl 2 motor

On 8/2/2013 at 8:13 PM, n8ball2013 said:

this is much worse. Its old n8 without the time or patience to hold fucking hands. I'm supposed to be doing school work but yet here i am making sure jr fuck fuck isn't trying to poke the other kids with a stick.

Its a long shot on the ignition but if it sends a faulty signal toothed transmission or if its intermittent, the transmission computer might think its malfunctioning completely. Check connections for corrosion and make sure everything is tight. If it still persists is have to say something is faulty with the solenoids they put in, but check the connections first.

when he told me that, i felt like he was just trying blame anything, but il check it. Any other ideas of what to check for? i still think the guy screwed something up and is giving me the cold shoulder. after a 1600 fucking dollar repair im just a little ticked off at the guy

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

Vehicle build log (1) 'Aayla' Numatik's one and only, bodydropped pasted the doors Chevy S-20 Ext-Ext cab. This project ended after a horrible horrible motorcycle accident. There are so many mods it would fill an entire page in my sig. Check it out if you have A LOT of time to kill. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/39785-numatiks-doored-s-20-bodydropped-on-doors-ext-ext-cab-10-subs-full-frame-build/?hl=%20numatik#39;s

Lays on 22s soon for 26s to run a beefy tire on 4s (4) 5gal tanks, (3)AZOB2 pumps, Slam digital stealth two speed valves with 16 solenoids, Slam SS bags all around, ART upper and lower arms, KP Components 6-link, KP Components watts link, Panther juice 6 22s, Spikes EVERYWHERE. 3,600WRMS total, (5) Kicker amps, (2) L7 15s under raised back seats, 15" screen molded to dash, 36 speakers total all Mb Quartz and Fosgate. Fiberglass console with removable face plates and arm rests, flushed speakers, lots of toggle switches, Playstation 2, rear view camera, Suede and leather seats, suede headliner, Dakota Digital air gauges, voltage gauges, and current draw gauges. (2) XS Power 4800 batteries, Whole truck is flat black and white and the

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/123328-numatiks-bagged-2004-silverado/

smdsig1.png

i work at a trans shop and we used to see that all the time on gm trucks of that vintage. The ignition switch can go out and make the transmission loose power. It will then put it in a "limp mode" which will start you in a higher gear and wont let it shift into overdrive. A cheap or almost free fix for this is to simply run a new 12volt power wire to the transmission. It dont need to be a heavy guage wire. You can run it off your fuse block in the truck but put a fuse on it. 10 or 15 amps is plenty. There is a pink wire on the passenger side transmission case connector. That is the main 12v in for the trans and if this wire looses power for an instant when truck is running the trans will go to limp. There are 4 rows of wires on the case connector, the pink comes in 1 of the middle rows, im not sure which 1 but there is only 1 pink wire. It will be all the way towards the front of the connector in 1 of the middle rows. That should take care of it.

99 GMC Suburban

2 Death Penalty 21"

2 Crescendo BC2000

Boston GT-42 Amp

6 Selenium 6w4p

4 Crescendo tweets

Hi output cs144 alt

Audiocontrol Epic-160

Pioneer DVD head unit

i work at a trans shop and we used to see that all the time on gm trucks of that vintage. The ignition switch can go out and make the transmission loose power. It will then put it in a "limp mode" which will start you in a higher gear and wont let it shift into overdrive. A cheap or almost free fix for this is to simply run a new 12volt power wire to the transmission. It dont need to be a heavy guage wire. You can run it off your fuse block in the truck but put a fuse on it. 10 or 15 amps is plenty. There is a pink wire on the passenger side transmission case connector. That is the main 12v in for the trans and if this wire looses power for an instant when truck is running the trans will go to limp. There are 4 rows of wires on the case connector, the pink comes in 1 of the middle rows, im not sure which 1 but there is only 1 pink wire. It will be all the way towards the front of the connector in 1 of the middle rows. That should take care of it.

thank you! your one of the people i was hoping to tune in and i appreciate your response!

He did tell me that there was a way to wire a 15a wire to the transmission, but made it sound like it was rocket science and dint understand what i can do (remote starts, etc) so he said before even 'thinking about that' i need to get my ignition switch fixed. i dont think theres anything wrong with it, and the only reason he does is becuase his fancy dancy snapon scanner scanner reccomended it as a possible problem. but before i buy a 100 dollar switch i will try and hard wire a 15a ignition wire to the pink wire you reffered too and see if it works. it does sound like something electrical, but im just not a tranny guy and i dont kno how to work on them.

2marro il start digging around and following wires, and when i find it key on and see what the voltasge is at. problem is it could be at 12v and only be getting like 2 amps thru if there is a problem or partial short in the wire, but if its getting power and no luck il try and run a new one to ign, ad a 15a fuse and try it and see if it works. thanks for your input again, is there anything else i should do?

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

smdsig1.png

Update:

so yesterday i did change out the MAF sensor since its been throwing a code for a while now.

today i got under the truck and couldnt for the life of me remove that round transmission plug. i was scared to death to break it, so i wasnt letting the anger make me do something stupid... as you know the angle from under the truck to see the plug, is real difficult, and all you can see is like a 1/4 of the rear of the plug, where there were no tabs to push, tabs to lift for removal, and feeling around couldnt feel them either.... I DID NOT WANT TO BREAK IT!!

but after this i did pull the loom from the wire, to see two pink wires very close together. now if i could unplug the damn thing i could follow them to see if they go to the same pin, before i start tagging wires. and its gonna be near impossible to tag that wire with it plugged in, and still difficult to do with it unplugged. I just need to get that thing unplugged so i can start soldering

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

smdsig1.png

What is with transmissions lately?

I know right?? we were just texting about this! I do hope you DONT let 'Transmissions Only' off el camino touch your shit. And i do hope yours goes well, and i hope mine gets figured out!!! god do i want your amp too, but just dont have the cash (unfortunatly is probably what youv heard alot of trying to sell it lol) GL with the sale tho, that things a powerhouse

EDIT: bro i love that avatar, where the hell did you find that?? lol!

Edited by numatik

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

smdsig1.png

Its from the movie american psycho...

I will not trust anyone for a rebuild man, im either buyin a super low mile oem taekout 20,000 or less, or a ford brand new reman and torque converter...

Cant trust shops anymore.

And yea thats why the 12k has to go to buy the trans...i can get something further down the road like 4 2k's or something.

DCAUDIO

BALLS DEEP