Sundown Audio

Hifonics Colossus..good Amp Or No?

zaxfire69

Hello guys. As you all know I Recently bought another FI 15 BL. Now I will be running 2 in a wall. They are fully loaded daily models..I have the VFL 150.1 in the shop and when it comes out it is going on the auction block..Nothing will be wrong with it but I really can't use it in my current configuration, so it must go..Anyway. I saw a couple of video's of this dude running a Colossus on 2 15's.. I am thinking about getting one when I sell the VFL..What are you guys opinions and how do you like the amps if you have one?? I just wanted a little feedback...I figure 3200 watts on the 2 15" fully loaded Bl's would be just about perfect combo...If you will hit me with some feedback..Thanks in advance..

i say go for it bro, just have your electrical up to par cause they are some thirsty ass amps.

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

(1) XS Power D6500(UNDERHOOD) and (1) XS3000(REAR)

3 runs 1/0ga for power and 2 runs of 1/0ga for negative.

(2)-RFT165s components, ...... 4 separate 1 inch tweetersRF T600-2(fronts) Punch 450.4(rear)

Audiocontrol 3.1.

DC power 260amp alternator w/MLA Module

its a good amp man, id get it

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

SoundQubed HDC415 w carbon fiber cap

2 Rockford Fosagate T1675-S

XS Power D3400 Under Hood

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/

Guest Nismofreak

not really thirsty....I got a kinetic in the back and drop to 12.6 volts at max settings....it pretty coefficient... I was once running off my yellow top and all the grains where down and played really well

So it is power hungry..Wonder how much more so than my VFL 150.1??

ive owned 7 of them, look for the XXV model as the XX models ARE power hungry, and also pretty hit or miss, out of the 7, 3 of mine overheated while running 2 1ohm load while the others just were so hot to the touch they would burn you.

I owned the first Colossuses that were about 40 inches long before they redesigned them to be smaller. Recently ive messed with a XXV one and they still arent as clean or efficent as other amps in thier power range, but again its real hard to find a dual channel monoblock amp.

Quality wise i'd take american bass over hifonics XX or XXV line all day long. as stated before Hifonics amps are pretty hit or miss. The Goliaths i've messed with another XX model amp every one of them fried an internal power supply sooner or later.

the colossus SHOULD be less effiecent then your VFL though because its doublr the output.

I wouldnt be comfortable running one raily slamming on it without at least an HO alternator and 2 good batteries. I know you have a honda and nismo has an SUV so thats a big difference in charging systems.

Well I have a 160 amp alt and an extra battery in the trunk The big everstart Marine Battery..Maxx 29 i believe. Also 0 guage throughout, big 3 all that. After I get all this together i will get better batteries..Seeing how the batteries cost so dang much. Right now I have my Everstart starter battery and the Everstart Marine Battery in the Trunk...