Second Skin Audio

Slot or Aero Ports...

Okay guys, so I'm having a few ideas here. I recently built a box that is 2.18cu/ft tuned to 31.18hz for my Fi BTL 15". It currently uses an L-port. Even though it is great like it is, it just isn't makin me happy like I want it to. But, the entire box is all square inside...just straight cuts put together for the box. I am going to go back to the shop next week and tear it down. Gonna use a router and round off all the edges on my ports, inside and out...gonna round off all the corners on the box. Then I'm gonna add a couple of 45's, or even better, some PVC roundovers, and put some glass in all the inside edges, and sand everything smoothe. Hopefully once all this is done, it will give me the sound I want. But, I wanted to ask a simple question in reference to aeroports. Do you guys think it would be better to take the time and do all the above mentioned to my current box, or rebuild a new one to the same dimensional specs, and use an aeroport instead of a slot port, and then go to glassing and adding roundovers? I've never used aero's before, but I see them alot on SPL builds, and rarely a dialy pounder. I just wanted some words from you more experienced guys who have built your fare share of both All input is appreciated.

mivtCK.png

Okay guys, so I'm having a few ideas here. I recently built a box that is 2.18cu/ft tuned to 31.18hz for my Fi BTL 15". It currently uses an L-port. Even though it is great like it is, it just isn't makin me happy like I want it to. But, the entire box is all square inside...just straight cuts put together for the box. I am going to go back to the shop next week and tear it down. Gonna use a router and round off all the edges on my ports, inside and out...gonna round off all the corners on the box. Then I'm gonna add a couple of 45's, or even better, some PVC roundovers, and put some glass in all the inside edges, and sand everything smoothe. Hopefully once all this is done, it will give me the sound I want. But, I wanted to ask a simple question in reference to aeroports. Do you guys think it would be better to take the time and do all the above mentioned to my current box, or rebuild a new one to the same dimensional specs, and use an aeroport instead of a slot port, and then go to glassing and adding roundovers? I've never used aero's before, but I see them alot on SPL builds, and rarely a dialy pounder. I just wanted some words from you more experienced guys who have built your fare share of both All input is appreciated.

2.18 cu. ft. for a 15 :No:

TDH FTW !!!

External aeros for burp boxes are usually the shit.

For daily boxes, I've never personally found a need to put in aeros. I've always made sure to have 45's in the pressure corner(s) and inside the port if it bends. If you're up to it, kerfing the port can get you some good gains as well.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

What is the sound your trying to achieve?

Do you want something that sound shallow and hollow?

Rich deep bass?

Each one requires some understanding of how to dampen an enclosure or as you are wanting to try and that is making it more for spl.

Will this be an spl only build or will it be for daily or a combination of both?

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

2.18 cubes for a 15 holy hell that is small especially if your looking to put 45s/pvc round-overs in box that will cut air space down even more

i say build bigger box

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

No offense intended but different ports won't help your cause nearly as much as more VOLUME! 2.18 is fine if you are running a Fi BTL 12...but as for a 15 you need about 1ft^3+ more to achieve good output. I would suggest building a new enclosure in excess of 3 cubes and sticking to the slot port. Then add your 45's, glass, etc. You won't regret it. If you pm me your max dimensions I will whip up a design for you. Be sure to tell me how you want it tuned, port location, and woofer direction. Thanks, Justin.

06 GP GXP

Google Nexus 7 16gb

Rockford Fosgate 3SIXTY.3

*Electrical*

DC Power 320a HP

2 - Juicebox Bananas g31

Stinger SPP2250 rear

Kinetik HC1800 side of wall

Optima Red Top front

Monster Cable 1/0, 2 runs to rear

Monster Cable 1/0 Big 3

2-Rockford Fosgate T1652S's

Rockford Fosgate T400-4

Rockford Fosgate T40001bd (4693rms @1ohm)

4-Sundown SA-15 D2's wired @ 1ohm/These are on the way out for 4 one off Eminent Audio 15's

15.2 cubes net tuned @34hz! Walled off

DBdrag official 151.6db @46hz

GXP Build log!:GP GXP Walled

Quality is the sign of a true enthusiast!

Refs: Link to leave more: http://www.stevemead...91#entry1603091

Bought from: Trippi (RF T2500bd, T1000-4),bre2ts (25ft Knu 1/0)

Sold to: shmew22 (T1500bdCP), Rev. Wrath (RF 3SIXTY.1), trjohnst (Knu 1/0, 3 fuse holders), Enemyofsilence (Audio Technix, RF T400-4).

I know how to design boxes, and I do realize that 2.18cu/ft is kinda small for a 15". But, that wasn't what the original post was about. Not trying to be an asshole or anything, just stating. I did have a 5.3cu/ft box tuned to 30hz, and it was awesome...but until my daughter gets out of her car seat, I've had to make the box a bit smaller...but after that, I'm building a wall. I was just curious if aero's would serve any better on a dialy build than slot ports would.

mivtCK.png

What is the sound your trying to achieve?

Do you want something that sound shallow and hollow?

Rich deep bass?

Each one requires some understanding of how to dampen an enclosure or as you are wanting to try and that is making it more for spl.

Will this be an spl only build or will it be for daily or a combination of both?

Well, the only reason I have the box this small is b/c of new additions to the family. Once she grows out of the car seat, or we get a real family car, I'm building a wall in this thing. So I'm gonna have to settle with shallow punchy bass for a while over the rich deep bass. I will not be running this setup in any kind of competition. Its currently wired at 2ohms...I originally intended to run it at .5ohms, but with this new small enclosure, I don't want to put that much power to it. But like I've said, I wanna get the best sound I can out of this small space, and I was just curious if aero ports would serve a noticeable difference in a daily run setup.

mivtCK.png

External aeros for burp boxes are usually the shit.

For daily boxes, I've never personally found a need to put in aeros. I've always made sure to have 45's in the pressure corner(s) and inside the port if it bends. If you're up to it, kerfing the port can get you some good gains as well.

Kerfing? Hmmm...this term is new to me. Is this where they score the wood every so often and cause it to have a bend in it? I know this works with MDF, but I am using birch, and I don't believe that would work to well on birch.

mivtCK.png

There shouldn't be any difference on how any of the ports sound from one another but have never tried doing a comparison either, but you will gain space inside the enclosure using round or aeroports over the slot port.

EDIT: The gain will be from the efficiency of how well the round and aeroports are over the slot port.

Edited by Skullz

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2