Sonic Electronix

Cold Weather Ftl Anything I Can Do?

Taken from Mobileaudio.com

4.10 Can I use my subs in the winter?

The following applies to all speakers in extremely cold conditions, but the question most often occurs in reference to subwoofers.

The suspension of the speakers will stiffen considerably at very cold temperatures (lower than 30 degrees F). So will certain cone materials which may become more brittle.

If a very cold speaker is played very hard there is a small potential for damage because more stress is placed on the cone's neck. The likelihood of damage is minimal for well-constructed and well-designed automotive speakers, however.

Thermally, the danger is minimal because the ambient temperature and the coil temperature are so low that it is highly unlikely that a coil will overheat and burn, despite limited movement and ventilation.

At temperatures between +20 degrees F and 0 degrees F, it is a good idea to play the system at a moderate level until the car's heater has warmed the vehicle interior. As the speakers warm up, they will play louder and lower signifying that their suspensions are warming up and returning to nominal compliance.

If the temperature is extremely cold (less than 0 degrees F), you should avoid playing the system at all until the vehicle interior is warm. This is to avoid stress fractures in the surround material (especially with rubber surrounds).

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

Thanks roscoe, I figured it was the stiffening of the suspension that caused it.

No Prob bro!

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

• 1 year later...

My guess would be that your vehicle, in reaction to the heat/lack of heat, is making your sub(s) sound like a$$. When it's hot out for example, my hand-crank windows go up/down much easier than in the fridgid cold most likely due to things in the door/window action slightly shrinking and things get tighter...then expand just slightly when they warm up, leaving more wiggle room etc...just a thought.

Team Tupperware

<First dual-alternator 'real' Saturn (pre-2002) on the planet>
(3) 15" Fi SP4's fed by (2) M3a's strapped @ .667
12.75 cubes net @ 25Hz with 200 sq inches of port area (lowz...?)
Stock alt position (custom bracket) 225 amp Mechman

Roof = steel and fiberglass (u mad?)
(2) XS Power D3100's, (2) rhino batts, No battery upfront (for now, smh)
4 power+ 4 ground runs of 1/0-gauge to rear
"If its been done before...you're doing it wrong" : )

"stfu about scores and float $hit..."