To find the peak of my truck? The box is tuned to 35 (thanks to 727Designs). I wanna download some tones. Afraid of clipping.. I ruin subs easily.. lol

-Ross

Project Layla

Truck: 99' F-150

Gathering things for my next build.

SoloX18 build:

http://www.stevemead..._1#entry1576460

RE T-line build:

http://www.stevemead...-between-build/

just because the box is tuned to 35hz doesnt mean that at 35hz is your lousedt db. If your clipping you under powered. The clipping is distortion which is what ruins subs. turn your amp down till the clipping goes away at full volume then youll know your max you can turn your amp up with out distrotion.

You guys are getting my hopes up. the next comp inst till August 5th -_-

I'm sure you'd do good ha. Now, if I brought my truck there, I'm sure I'd get pity points. Single 10" DC.... hhaha, but still, it does work. If you do attend it, take pics and vids! :drinks:

To find the peak of my truck? The box is tuned to 35 (thanks to 727Designs). I wanna download some tones. Afraid of clipping.. I ruin subs easily.. lol

Your trucks peak will be the frequency which it is loudest on the meter, it may not even be close to box tuning. Your 35hz box tuning is for the best sound on music and to play a wide variety of notes loudly, where as your SPL port will just play close to the peak frequency of your vehicle. I may be mistaken but I believe most people like to tune around 5hz below vehicle peak, I've never done a dedicated SPL port myself, I like big numbers on music.

-Zach-

2010 Toyota Tundra
Full Hybrid Audio SQ

7" BDS on 37's

2000 Ford Expedition

160+ dB Green Turd -SOLD- :(

There's a thread (I think in the tools section) of TermLab and O-scope access. Check it out, you may find someone close to you who will scope it for you pretty cheap.

-Zach-

2010 Toyota Tundra
Full Hybrid Audio SQ

7" BDS on 37's

2000 Ford Expedition

just because the box is tuned to 35hz doesnt mean that at 35hz is your lousedt db. If your clipping you under powered. The clipping is distortion which is what ruins subs. turn your amp down till the clipping goes away at full volume then youll know your max you can turn your amp up with out distrotion.

Thats what I've done.. I think kicker amps clip at low volumes.... Songs also can have clipping I thought?

I'm sure you'd do good ha. Now, if I brought my truck there, I'm sure I'd get pity points. Single 10" DC.... hhaha, but still, it does work. If you do attend it, take pics and vids! :drinks:

Naw man. I'm not that loud with just my 1500rms amp.. I was designing this box so maybe I could get like a clean install award or something.. lol I will attend.. and take pictures. lol

Your trucks peak will be the frequency which it is loudest on the meter, it may not even be close to box tuning. Your 35hz box tuning is for the best sound on music and to play a wide variety of notes loudly, where as your SPL port will just play close to the peak frequency of your vehicle. I may be mistaken but I believe most people like to tune around 5hz below vehicle peak, I've never done a dedicated SPL port myself, I like big numbers on music.

The guy at a shop in town seemed to time my truck peaked at 50hz.. Yeah I knew that the 35 was for SQ not Spl.

There's a thread (I think in the tools section) of TermLab and O-scope access. Check it out, you may find someone close to you who will scope it for you pretty cheap.

I'll look that up man. Not alot of people from Missouri on this forum unfortionatly..

-Ross

Project Layla

SoloX18 build:

RE T-line build:

Thats what I've done.. I think kicker amps clip at low volumes.... Songs also can have clipping I thought?

Naw man. I'm not that loud with just my 1500rms amp.. I was designing this box so maybe I could get like a clean install award or something.. lol I will attend.. and take pictures. lol

The guy at a shop in town seemed to time my truck peaked at 50hz.. Yeah I knew that the 35 was for SQ not Spl.

I'll look that up man. Not alot of people from Missouri on this forum unfortionatly..

Clipping can occur from a number of sources:

A: The song. This is why I listen to alot of Decaf and Bigpimpins stuff, they tweak them in Audacity and cut down on the clipping.

B: The head unit. Most HU's will clip around 3/4 volume or so, it's usually a safe guess so try to set your gain with your HU volume around 3/4 so you'll know you're safe that far.

C: The amp. Bass boost can make it clip faster, keep it off. Be conservative with the gain if you don't have a scope of access to one. What I do is turn it to where I think it's good by ear, then back it off a little more to be safe. A scope or DD-1 is the only way to be sure.

D. Low voltage. This can cause your amp to clip sooner.

My buddy is running a wall in an F150 and I'm not sure what his peak is, but it's in the 50's IIRC. There's a thread on here somewhere that lists some vehicles and the peak some people have found. I'm wanting to say it's in the SPL section. Tune around 5hz lower than your peak for your SPL port.

-Zach-

2010 Toyota Tundra
Full Hybrid Audio SQ

7" BDS on 37's

2000 Ford Expedition

727-I checked out the thread you were talkin bout.. No F150s though. lol I need to set my gains but I've been lazy since I got the box done.. I want a new project now.. lol

I wanna put my voltage meter somewhere but I cant seem to find a place to put it.. Here are some pictures of my dash. I need some help guys! I also need to put my kicker bass knob some where too.. And no, they will not fit under the radio.. Thanks for any help in advance.

Dash1.jpg

Dash2.jpg

Dash3.jpg

Dash4.jpg

-Ross

Project Layla

SoloX18 build:

RE T-line build: