06 Civic Build - New Build List on page 60

Sorry guys! Long story but my weekend blew up on me.

My family has been talking about an animal for a while now. We were gonna get a pair of kittens for my daughters and we've been gearing up for them. Doing research etc, for stuff for them.

We ended up using Saturday for stuff for the house. That was gonna give me all day Sunday to work on the car.

Saturday we were sitting there and somehow the animal conversation came up and we decided a dog would be better for us. Our concern was we didn't want to leave it home during the day. Well to shorten this up a bit, everything kind of rolled quickly.

We were talking about golden retrievers and names and looking online etc Saturday, Sunday I came home from Bootcamp to my wife telling me her sisters neighbor, who we know well, was fostering a boxer puppy. We decided to go look at her. Her sister lives about 2 hours away. There went Sunday! But we got a puppy! 5 month old boxer female. Awesome awesome puppy for being, well, a puppy. Great mannerisms and we loved it.

So she's got some shots and stuff this week, and then we bring her home next Sunday.

Sorry this isn't a post telling everyone I finished the ride or great progress, but the fact of the matter is, life just happens!

So things my possibly be changing all over again. My wife started sending me links on Tahoes today! 4 door, 3 row options, etc. So the civic may be going bye bye, which is ok with me cause frankly I'm ready for a bigger vehicle. Don't get any ideas, no huge boxes going in this thing if it does happen. I'm sticking with this equipment that I have now! FOR SURE!

I'd have to figure out the tablet situation all over again of course. But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. For now, I have to go home and talk to the wife and see what she has brewing in her head!

I'm out!

Fuck man ): I love that civic. you have put so much work into it.. that bums me out.

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif
Spending money on things I don't need, to impress others I don't know.
At the end of the day for me its about the love of customizing anything and everything to limits or even past reasonable.-SkyHighCarAudio

Yea but sometimes it's worth it. In my life, it's time to become more functional and that requires me to get a bigger vehicle. We'll see what happens, it's all gonna depend on money and approval, and interest rate if we can get one.

However, bottom line, it's almost a sure thing that it's gonna happen that the civic will be getting sold or traded in. I'll update when I have more info!

Dude, I was really looking forward to a nice trunk build..

But do what's best for your family, we can't be mad :)

Dude, I was really looking forward to a nice trunk build..

But do what's best for your family, we can't be mad :)

Yea me too honestly. I was getting excited for this one. But family comes first and I think a fresh start will be good. I'll use the same equipment I have, although I may have to go to a different sub, but I'll get to that later when I find out what vehicle I'm going to. But I think this build will be simpler and get done faster. Thanks for the support!

So things my possibly be changing all over again. My wife started sending me links on Tahoes today! 4 door, 3 row options, etc. So the civic may be going bye bye, which is ok with me cause frankly I'm ready for a bigger vehicle. Don't get any ideas, no huge boxes going in this thing if it does happen. I'm sticking with this equipment that I have now! FOR SURE!

I'd have to figure out the tablet situation all over again of course. But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. For now, I have to go home and talk to the wife and see what she has brewing in her head!

I'm out!

Tahoe yeah. You know you want one. But the gas mileage, OMIGOD. If I was you I'd wait a few years to see if Iran blows up and who wins the next few elections and what they do before swapping into a gas-guzzler.

I do want one. We're looking at an 07 LT with 45k on it for $25,000. Nothing on it, no wheels, no tinted windows, nothing, it's just stock. But Low miles for the year and looks very clean. Not over excited about the color, it's gold, but if we can get the deal, it's a good deal.

Then we're also looking at an 06 with 40k on it for $18,9. It does have wheels, black, tinted windows, very clean inside, and leather (I think, I've looked at so many damn suvs I forget now). So that's a good possibility. The 06 would be easier to put the tablet in also cause it's the old dash style, like what Meade has. I know I could do the tablet in there.

We're looking at a Honda Pilot, which is a good little suv, for $18,9 also. Low miles, I think it's about the same, 40k but might be a bit lower. Not really what I want but you can't deny a V6 in gas mileage as a good thing, especially now!

Lastly, and I think the best one of all, is the 06 expedition XLT with 46k on it. Blue and it's very very clean inside. It has everything we need in it and gets a little better gas mileage than the tahoes. Not much like 1 mpg better city. So it's not much better. But it has the auto folding third row, and spacious cargo also, not that the tahoe doesn't. But we've owned an Expedition EL before and love how the rear seats fold absolutely flat down. That's key! The with the Tahoe, we have to take em out and store em somewhere.

So lots of choices out there, we're looking at them all and our best options for the money. This is my SUV, so it's not gonna be new. The idea is to get a used one for me to get us by for the next 2 years until my wifes car is paid off. Hopefully get this one paid really close to off, then get her a brand new SUV or Van. She really likes the oddessy, but whatever she gets will balloon the payment from what we pay now. We pay 360.00 each for our cars. That's 820.00 per month total. If we could pay them both off, then that gives us some real breathing room for her new car a couple years down the road!

Ok more when I get more! Right now it's all on hold! Sorry guys!

• 2 weeks later...

If you're looking for a Honda Civic High Output Alternator, check out this link. I'm selling my brand new Mechman 220 Amp Alt since I'm not keeping this car. Never installed it. Check out the link! I really could use the money.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/136475-06-up-honda-civic-mechman-220a-high-output-alternator/

Ya for sure. But you know what, I'm happy with the decision. I'll be ready to start fresh and be a little less complicated with this build. I already have a plan as a matter of fact. Things have gone from an Expedition or Tahoe to a Suburban. Wife is on board so that's where we're gonna go with it. We've found a couple we really like, but we need to sell the civic first. Should be ready to list it next week.

So here's my plan. My wife's one concern with the audio portion is the bass if Grace, my boxer, is in the car. I can understand this. However, I don't want to give up low end all the time. So here's what I've come up with. Little diagram! Here, I'll explain and then show the diagram

Front stage still is going to get the 3 way active: Hertz Mille ML280s Tweeters, Hertz Mille ML700 Mid Range, and Hertz Mille ML1600 Mid Bass. Mid Range and Tweeters powered by a Hertz HDP4 (4 channel), and the Mid Bass powered by a Hertz HDP4 (4 channel) bridged.

Rear doors are going to probably be a set of 6.5" Hertz High Energy Coaxials. The far back pillars, I'm not sure what size they are, but will be coaxials as well. I think they're 4's but may be 5.25's also. Those will be powered by a Hertz HDP5 (5 channel amp) on channels 1 & 2 for the rear doors, and 3 & 4 for the rear pillars. I'll get back to the 5th channel.

Sub stage is gonna go something like this. I'm planning the dual 12's in the back. Dual Hertz HX300D's, one on each side of the rear cargo in custom fiber glassed enclosures. I still don't know if I can get enough room for ported or not, so that remains to be determined. Ported is my preference, but we'll see. Those will be powered by 2 Hertz HDP1 Mono Amps. 1 amp per sub ran at a 2 ohm load for a nice 1000 watts each. The other option with this, if the 12's prove to not work, will be to run dual 10's back there. Same dual 4 ohm subs, so I can run a 2 ohm load. I'd prefer the 12's since I've already got one, but that's never stopped me before!

So as I said before, my wife was worried about subs in the back. My way of fixing this is to do a secondary sub stage up front. My plan, of now, is to build a center console enclosure for a single 10" sub. Looking to put in a Hertz HX250D sub, same subs that will go in the back if the 12's don't work. Again I'd prefer ported, but I have to figure out if I can get enough air space or not. I also need it to look as stock as possible. I don't want some ungodly box up front. I want to basically mimic the original center console and when the enclosure goes in, it looks like it's original. This will be powered by the Hertz HDP5's 5th channel that I said I'd get back to. That will give me a nice 550 watts at 2 ohms for the sub up front. Should be more than plenty.

So the idea is when Grace is in the back, the rear sub stage will be turned off, and the front sub stage will stay on. I'll this by putting a switch on the rear sub stage amps.

Now the signals on this were a little tricky at first. I had a hard time with figuring out how to put 13 channels on a Bit One that only has 8 outputs. Well this is how I did it:

Channels 1 & 2 will go to the tweeters

Channels 3 & 4 will go to the mid range

Channels 5 & 6 will go to the mid bass

Channel 7 will go to the rear door coax as well as the rear pillar coax

Channel 8 will operate the sub stages.

This will give me volume control over the entire system via the Bit One DRC. Now the only thing I've been thinking about that I may do, is change the 12's to 10's in the back anyway, just to make them all the same and simplify the tuning a bit. But I may not, I don't know yet. The Bit One has some setting abilities, and I'll be adjusting gains and matching the subs via the DD1 and the CC1 (I'll have this by the time I get going with this build) so I think I'll be ok ultimately. I'll also be running remote volume controls off the HDP1's and the HDP5 for the subs to I have independent volume control on them. I'd like to link the two HDP1's so they adjust the same, but I have to check on that. I think if I just splice them in together, I should be ok, but I have to research it a bit still.

All the amps, 2 HDP4's, 2 HDP1's and the HDP5 will go under the rear seat as of now, I have no idea how much room is under there yet. The Bit One should go under there as well. If there's not enough room I'll figure something else out when I have the ride!

So with all that said, here's the diagram, hopefully it shows up well enough. It's on MS Paint:

SuburbanLayoutIdea.jpg

So that's the idea now. I have the front stage, the two HDP4's, one HX300D, and I should have the HDP1 on the way soon since they just got the HDP5 delivered for exchange. So the list of things I'll need to finish this would be the following:

1 - Hertz HX300D sub

1 - Hertz HX250D sub

1 - Hertz HDP1

1 - Hertz HDP5

2 - Hertz High Energy Coaxials

1 - H/O Alternator

2 - XS Power Batteries

The tablet plan is still ago. I found out I will have enough room to do it in a suburban, so I'm sticking with that plan. Not sure how much will be effected if I get an LTZ or LT, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I think the Alpine unit is a no go, but we'll have to wait and see on that. I also think the kindle custom project won't happen either. I'll most likely be getting a second HD monitor, and do head rest monitors with those off the tablet instead.

So these are all plans and ideas I have, and no I don't even have the suv yet. However, you can't blame a guy for wanting to be ready right! LOL! I'm sure a lot of this might change once I have my hands on the vehicle and find whatever obstacles are in there. I'll deal with that when I have to.

So that's all for this thread I think. I'll keep it as a soundboard now, but when the new vehicle is chosen, I'll start a new one and the building will be on! Thanks to all for supporting me, and for always checking this out. It's much appreciated as always. Thanks!

Archived