Second Skin Audio

Opinions wanted

22 members have voted

1. 1. 18" or 12" Solo X?

• 18"
    • 12"

I'd say between 35 and 38hz. But think of it this way too, if you are unhappy with the way it sounds, you can make a new interchangeable port piece with a different tuning because you'll be making the port interchangeable anyways, right? :good:

Lol That is very true. lol So it would be okay at about 9.5cubes right? then just tune it how i want? The 35-38 would be higher right? Making it good sounding with rock?

Right. It should be fine at 9.5 cubes. It will be loud.

ForumAvatarcopy.jpg

2011 Honda CR-Z Mugen

12" Kicker SoloX Subwoofer

Rockford Fosgate t20001bd

Pioneer AVIC-X930BT Head Unit

Build Log

I think I'll use this design then. Lol do you think the amp rack looks okay?

-Ross

Project Layla

Truck: 99' F-150

Gathering things for my next build.

SoloX18 build:

http://www.stevemead..._1#entry1576460

RE T-line build:

http://www.stevemead...-between-build/

Box looks cool!

Oh and btw an o-scope is the tool used to adjust your gain perfectly so you arnt clipping your amp and sending a distorted signal to your subs which is what is causing your subs to blow! Lol

but IMO the new SMD distortion detector is the way to go, it's about half the price and it's much easier to use! If you keep blowing things then your not very good at setting your gains and you need one! Haha

so far...

HU- pioneer DEH-P59001B

Amp- crescendo BC2000D

Wire- 1/0 awg welding lead

Electric- Big 3 ^same wire

Subs- 2 Obsidian Audio 12 d4's

Box 4ft^3 ported at 33hz. designed by Ram-Designs

Yeah man it looks great!

ForumAvatarcopy.jpg

2011 Honda CR-Z Mugen

12" Kicker SoloX Subwoofer

Rockford Fosgate t20001bd

Pioneer AVIC-X930BT Head Unit

Build Log

Box looks cool!

Oh and btw an o-scope is the tool used to adjust your gain perfectly so you arnt clipping your amp and sending a distorted signal to your subs which is what is causing your subs to blow! Lol

but IMO the new SMD distortion detector is the way to go, it's about half the price and it's much easier to use! If you keep blowing things then your not very good at setting your gains and you need one! Haha

Thansk for the info man. I looked into the SMD DD-1. I would buy one but I dont feel like waiting till august to get it :P

Yeah man it looks great!

Idk If I like it yet so if anyone has any ideas at all please tell me.

-Ross

Project Layla

SoloX18 build:

RE T-line build:

ive heard bad things about solo x's.. but i guess if thats what you want id go with the 18 <_<

Like what? I just liked it cuase I have bad luck at blowing subs so I decided to get one I could fix if I blow while staying with kicker.

Start tuning with an o-scope and that problem will probably go away.

:noob: question. What are the point of these? I have heard of them but never really seen a explaination.

Just saw this post. What an o-scope does it show you when your amp begins to clip. When it clips the sound wave that is sent is basically more squared off then rounded off, this causes the sub to build up heat in the voice coils which will lead to prematurely blowing the sub. All amps clip, don't think that running 1,000 watts to a 3,000 watt sub will be impossible to blow, because it can clip and blow it just as easily as anything. If you're blowing the subs that often then I guarantee you have a clipping problem.

-Zach-

2010 Toyota Tundra
Full Hybrid Audio SQ

7" BDS on 37's

2000 Ford Expedition

160+ dB Green Turd -SOLD- :(

ive heard bad things about solo x's.. but i guess if thats what you want id go with the 18 <_<

Like what? I just liked it cuase I have bad luck at blowing subs so I decided to get one I could fix if I blow while staying with kicker.

:noob: question. What are the point of these? I have heard of them but never really seen a explaination.

Just saw this post. What an o-scope does it show you when your amp begins to clip. When it clips the sound wave that is sent is basically more squared off then rounded off, this causes the sub to build up heat in the voice coils which will lead to prematurely blowing the sub. All amps clip, don't think that running 1,000 watts to a 3,000 watt sub will be impossible to blow, because it can clip and blow it just as easily as anything. If you're blowing the subs that often then I guarantee you have a clipping problem.

Are these hard to use? Would you recomend a SMD-DD1 instead?

-Ross

Project Layla

SoloX18 build:

RE T-line build:

Are these hard to use? Would you recomend a SMD-DD1 instead?

O-scopes aren't really difficult, but the DD1 is easier, and cheaper. I'll be ordering one soon to compare with my scope.

-Zach-

2010 Toyota Tundra
Full Hybrid Audio SQ

7" BDS on 37's

2000 Ford Expedition

160+ dB Green Turd -SOLD- :(

Yeah, what he said! Basically what I said but a much much better explaination haha

so far...

HU- pioneer DEH-P59001B

Amp- crescendo BC2000D

Wire- 1/0 awg welding lead

Electric- Big 3 ^same wire

Subs- 2 Obsidian Audio 12 d4's

Box 4ft^3 ported at 33hz. designed by Ram-Designs

Archived