In most applications, capacitors are useless. If anything, they hurt your electrical. They put more stress on your alternator.

Big 3. Good battery up front. Or a 2nd decent battery in the back. A new alternator would be ideal, but not 100% necessary. If/when you can afford it, I would get one.

My $.02

Edited by That1Kid

-98' Ford Expedition (Rest in Peace)

-AVH-P3300BT

-Crescendo BC5500

-4 18" DC m2 Level 3.

Do the big 3, run it and see what happens.

Anyone that immediately says "you need an HO alt" for an AP3k and doesn't even ask what vehicle you have is someone you don't need to be listening to (not to mention there are people running way more on stock alts, you just need to charge your batts). Speaking of which what vehicle? What size stock alt?

Hook it all up, do the big 3 and see how much voltage drop you get. If the cap has a voltmeter on it hook up a meter and make sure it's accurate before you count on it. If you have crazy drop, dimming lights, etc. then you can address the issue from there.

Edited by UnderLoK

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

It's a 92 dodge Dakota 5.2 v8. I'm not sure on the alt but I think it's around 90 or 120. I was thinking doing the big 3, and getting an xs d3100 or something equivalent. Then using all 1/0 gauge wire and still running it with the cap just for a little extra help. Since it's so large it wont be completely draining so that I think will really help the power demand

Will that work? Or at least until I get an alt? I planned on getting a 200 or more amp alt later down the road

Edited by graham0599

Why do people either love or hate capacitors? Just curious.

Nobody loves capacitors LOL.

Getting bass into the cabin of a W124 mercedes is impossible.

Current setup:

Temp 1999 panasonic HU

rockford 300.2 for fronts

rockford 200.2 for rears

rockford 400.1 for sub

Leaning towards a 8" in an exponential horn

DAMN YOU GERMANS AND YOUR 5" SPEAKERS!

It's a 92 dodge Dakota 5.2 v8. I'm not sure on the alt but I think it's around 90 or 120. I was thinking doing the big 3, and getting an xs d3100 or something equivalent. Then using all 1/0 gauge wire and still running it with the cap just for a little extra help. Since it's so large it wont be completely draining so that I think will really help the power demand

Will that work? Or at least until I get an alt? I planned on getting a 200 or more amp alt later down the road

It's an AP3k man... One good battery is enough. You more than likely have a 120a alt (double check). Figure you have 50a in reserve and your amp draw with that amp is 200 MAX. Figure less than that unless it's an extreme situation (voltage drop, clipped out the ass, etc).

Hook up what you have and see how it does. If it sucks (voltage wise) get a good battery and sell the cap. Just remember if you want to go 14v+ all the time you're going to need like a 300a alt especially if you have another amp for interiors.

If I were you I would do what I said, hook it up and see what happens. If it doesn't work well sell the cap, get a 3100 or 2400 or 2700 (whatever fits) and a smaller one for the rear if you still need more. Just keep in mind you can't run around blasting it all the time even with an alt, it will fry.

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

It's an AP3k man... One good battery is enough. You more than likely have a 120a alt (double check). Figure you have 50a in reserve and your amp draw with that amp is 200 MAX. Figure less than that unless it's an extreme situation (voltage drop, clipped out the ass, etc).

Hook up what you have and see how it does. If it sucks (voltage wise) get a good battery and sell the cap. Just remember if you want to go 14v+ all the time you're going to need like a 300a alt especially if you have another amp for interiors.

If I were you I would do what I said, hook it up and see what happens. If it doesn't work well sell the cap, get a 3100 or 2400 or 2700 (whatever fits) and a smaller one for the rear if you still need more. Just keep in mind you can't run around blasting it all the time even with an alt, it will fry.

So should I use the cap for now? And if it sucks then take it off and get a big battery? Or what?