Mechman Alternators

I have a mechman 270 amp alternator in my 2005 lS with a mechman adjustable voltage boost module set to charge at 14.8 hot...

Current setup is 2 xs power d3400 batteries

1 aq2200

Big 3 done with 0 gauge kicker hyperflex wire

And 2 btl 15's

Is it normal to have my voltage drop to 12.5 at idle with the system at full tilt? I wanna add a 2nd aq2200 and I am worried that my voltage will drop even more. When I hit the gas pedal and keep it at around 1500rpm the voltage stays in the mid 14's but I just want some outside input on this..

TEAM DISTANT THUNDER

Your voltage shouldnt even drop that much, my bro is running a aq2200d on kentik hc800 and a cheap autozone front bat with 145 amp alt and 15.3 regulator and drops to 13.8 at idle.

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

You shouldn't be seeing any drop at all with that setup. How are your grounds? What's the AQ wired to?

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

Even at .5ohms, I don't believe it should be dropping NEARLY that much. I'd suggest checking the grounds like you said you would, and ground directly to the frame if possible. But something doesn't seem right...

I'm not experienced with electrical equipment, so I'm not too sure. You mention that at idle, you sustain voltage drop, but when you rev the engine, your voltages raises to what seems like the proper level... So that difference in RPM makes a large difference. What does the vehicle idle at?

Does it do it all the time, even when your not playing your system? Does it steadily drop to 12.5 or just kinda spike down there. You know, I had the same issue with my DC alt. I called and talked to them and they said that my truck (2006 yukon) has a feature which if 14 volts is not required, the ECM will drop the voltage slowly to 12.5v for fuel economy. I thought they were full of shit, until a friend of mine looked into it some more and sure enough DC was right. I also run two xs3400's on a crescendo 3k at .5ohm, and i still sometimes drop to 12.5. after say 1-2min, the voltage will start to increase slightly until it stabilizes around 14.3ish. This may also be the same for your impala.

2006 GMC Yukon
Pioneer HU

SHCA ran throughout

Crescendo BC3500

One 18 AA Mayhem in a 4th order

ZED Levithian 6 channel

Rainbow Dual 6.5 comps ran Active
matt142-1-1.jpg
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/155628-matt14s-yukon-mayhem-in-a-4th-ordernew-amps-and-bats/page-3

With how your engine "bogs down" when you hit the bass at full tilt while only at idle this WILL happen when your voltage drops. The reason for it is that your alternator is demanding a higher output or else it cannot produce the amperage to charge your batteries. With this demand for high speed on the pulley, if you are at idle, it will call for high speed to charge back up and if you dont have that speed, it will put a ton of strain on the pulley of your alternator to try and get as much power as it can from the windings.

Now i want to see if you can do this...

Have your car off for awhile and let the engine get cold. Start the engine up and do NOT bump your system, just run the car for 5-10 minutes. Then feel your alternator, it should be cool to the touch, if its hot then its bad.

Also if you have a multimeter, check the resistance of all your power and ground wires, it should not exceed .1-.2 ohms. If it does then that wire is wired poorly.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress