Well if you like the Asus here is a higher end one that I mentioned earlier, here is the link for it.

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

The tasks that I will be doing with the laptop will be in Windows, so why pay the premium for a Mac?

My shop PC I have a ton of Asus parts on/in it, as well as the monitor. Been quite pleased with their products.

you can never go wrong with asus !! being that i have built many computers and done many stress tests and benchmarks i found ASUS and EVGA to be the top contenders ... if your looking to do just simple windows stuff on your laptop the best laptop i would reccomend for you is

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230070 - sporting core i3 6gb ram 640gb hard drive or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220868 - i reccomend the first one this one has 4 gigs ram 500gb hard drive but sports a i5 processor the one on top with the i3 and the 6gb of ram 640gb hard drive is a WONDERFUL !!! laptop and at only 600 dollars its a price you cant beat !!!

ASUS is pretty mainstream.

Anyways I would recommend the HP Envy series. They are a great macbook pro alternative. They don't have the same exact fit and finish as the macbook pros, but other features makeup for it. I personally have a HP Envy 14. I have had it for a year and it has been rock solid. They used to have a 1600 x 900 radiance display option on their original Envy 14, but they stopped offering it. Now they only offer the 1366 x 768 display, which is decent but its not as good as the radiance display. The radiance displays were macbook pro display esque.

I wouldn't look too much into the screen issue, because the updated Envy 14 makes up for it with sandy bridge and other features. It comes with a display port and hdmi port which you can easily use to hook up to a nice monitor.

You can configure it up with a quad core sandy bridge i7, which has 4c/8t. Imo this is kind of a overkill for a laptop, but it packs a tremendous punch if you need it. It also has switchable graphics, which helps maximize battery life. It also has USB 3.0/esata, which is nice if you need more storage.

Also the battery life is good on mine, with the first generation core i5 I can easily hit 5-8 hours with the slice battery. But this all depends on how you use it. I am sure you could achieve even more with the new sandy bridge processors, since they are way more efficient.

It also comes with a intel wireless nic, which are some of the most durable and reliable.

Lastly it has beats audio, which is pretty much the best you can do for laptop audio.

Also sony has stepped their game up, I also recommend their new laptops if you are on a lower budget.

You should look at some of the sony's in person because their build quality is pretty good, but it's not like a HP Envy or a Apple Macbook Pro.

Link: Envy 14

Edited by Moti
777319156.png

Ya the envy series is real nice I just figured he was looking for like workstation so thats what i was looking for.

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

my laptop is a toshiba satellite 18.4 inch widescreen, full HD, bluray burner, 4gb ram (could have got more, but ram is cheaper to buy separately, same with harddrive), exactly like the qosmio yet more customizable. at the time of purchase i researched everywhere i could find that slkd configurable laptops, if its pre-configured, they either charge too much or rip you off somewhere. i even get a 25% discount at dell, and i couldnt make a better deal than i got with my laptop. This is a year ago though. but it plays any pc game currently available on highest settings with no lag at all.

but based on budget, an d without looking at others suggestions, ill add to be sure to configure your own laptop. its like buying from walmart or best buy, if its pre configured, they either screw you over on the processor or graphics card (the most expensive components of the computer) or they charge more than its worth.

like i said above, whatever you get if you dont mind waiting a bit longer, you can save money buy going with graphics card and processor from company, and get the smallest HDD and ram they offer and buy those elsewhere, they are easy to replace and saves some money buy upgrading yourself. I also prefer Intel over AMD, but you will always get people that root for one or the either. Intel is more expensive of course, but like i said depends on budget. I run AMD in my desktop and Intel in my laptop.

Edited by kynto

as much as i like all the options the one computer company that i love and would gurentee my life on is ASUS !! i have built many gaming computers, office computers and the mother boards i use are ASUS they are a great computer with wonderful chipsets IMO

here are 5 really good laptops that will last you a very long time ranging in price and options that could best suite you!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230103

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220868

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220957

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230070

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230027

i have had nothing but good come from ASUS posting this thread on my ASUS EEPC net book and i love it !! and the one good thing i like about ASUS is that they are not a "MAINSTREAM" company and being that second skin is not "MAINSTREAM" like dynamat you know that all the money you are going to put into the laptop goes towards the product itself and not the name you put onto it!

this! That first one is a beast. It was designed after a jet fighter. Not sure if that helps much but it has dual fans on the back. But it weighs a bit more than others.

Do you have to buy a laptop? Or you could check into tablets. I love my iPad 2. Doesn't have flash but still love it.

Do you have to buy a laptop? Or you could check into tablets. I love my iPad 2. Doesn't have flash but still love it.

Yeah it needs to be a laptop, it needs a bit of computing power. CAD/CAM programs and tablet PCs just don't go together.

With all of these suggestions I've actually have narrowed it down a bit.

I gave myself till Friday, I'll let everyone know what I finally decide to go with.

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png