Sonic Electronix

Hi guys, I'd really like your help on what needs to be done here.

My system is in my signature, but if any more information is needed, please don't hesitate to ask.

Started off with me turning on my car and noticed some major engine whine that was never there before. Okay, weird. I take my dash out and pull the radio out....nothing looks out of the ordinary, I really don't even know what to look for in this case. The only thing I DO know, is that if the RCA's are pulled out of the sub amp, or the sub output on the head unit the engine whine stops completely. The other issue that I am now having is that when the subwoofer amp is on and both Red and White sides of the RCA are plugged in, I'm getting this horrible low frequency noise that makes my sub's bottom out. If only one is plugged in, it will play normally but just not as loud. It doesn't make a difference what side of the RCA is plugged in, just if BOTH are in it will make that tone/hz weird thing. I don't have any headunits to swap out to rule out the headunit being the culprit, but I really hope it's not because it's only 8 months old! I'm not sure if Kenwoods have the pico fuse, or have the same issue as the pioneer units and the fuses.

EDIT: Almost forgot to add, here is a quick video showing the issue with the engine whine, but not the low frequency problem as it happens fast and I don't know if I'm damaging anything when it does that so I'd rather not have it do it!

http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa429/bmcgee101/?action=view&current=VIDEO0009.mp4

Please help asap, I have work tomorrow at 12 and can't imagine not having bass for that trip!

Edited by billy101

First System

2002 Impala LS 3.8L V6, 128,365k miles.

Alternator: DC Power 190Amp H/O Alternator

Headunit: Kenwood KDC-BT945U.

Speakers: MBQuart 6.5" Comps, 6x9 3-way.

Amplifer: Eclipse 3322 on front 6.5 components, and a Infinity Kappa One @ 2ohm- 800w

Subwoofers: 2 REAudio SRX12D2 wired to 2 ohm.

Box: 3.1cuft box tuned to 33hz. sealed off to cabin

Big 3- done with all Knukonceptz KCA 0 gauge.

Don't drop below 14.1v at full tilt. :)

Check your grounds. Are your RCA's run by power wire?

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

Double check that your rca wires are clear from any positive or ground wires. The whine you are hearing is alternator whine. I have this in my truck until i finish my system next week wed because my rca cable isnt fully sheilded like my old one and is close to the +12v wire i have going to the rear battery bank. As soon as i pick the wire up and away from the battery wire, it will not whine anymore. I would take the entire run of your rca cable and make sure it is away from all power cables. Also you can try to enhance the ground of your radio if that doesnt help. The low noise you hear with your subs is partly of your alternator whine as well. Just get your rca cables away from your power and ground wires and if it doesnt help, consider buying double insulated (twisted pair wire with foil shielding on the wires) to help get rid of the alternator whine.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Check your grounds. Are your RCA's run by power wire?

Grounds are all solid. Both amps are grounded to the passenger side rear strut tower bolt, grinded down to bare metal, we just had an issue with my car not starting due to a ground issue on the tranny casing...The chassis ground, and engine ground are BRAND new, both ground down to shiny bare metal with new ground wire coming from the battery terminal. My RCAs are run down the center of my car, and the power wires are run along the right side of the car, under the carpet. About 2 1/2 feet apart.

First System

Amplifer: Eclipse 3322 on front 6.5 components, and a Infinity Kappa One @ 2ohm- 800w

Almost sounds like a blown output on the HU or possibly bad RCA's.

Try running a different set of RCA's from the radio to the amp and see if it goes away.

Pioneer x930 bt

Rockford t2500 bdcp

18" nightshade v1

DC audio 175.4

RF power T162s up front, infinity 3 way 6x9's in the back (removing rear stage and re-doing doors soon)

3x XS power D2700's

Knukonceptz 0awg all around

Is your hu a pioneer?

You didn't even read his post did you?

I'm not sure if Kenwoods have the pico fuse, or have the same issue as the pioneer units and the fuses.

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

Try running a different set of RCA's from the radio to the amp and see if it goes away.

I swapped the RCAs coming from the front RCA channel to the sub RCA on HU and plugged them from the front amp RCAs to the Sub amp and the same problem occured. I'm thinking either blown RCAs or just simply a bad headunit ground. There's a ground directly behind my headunit I'm going to try an ground there.

First System

I swapped the RCAs coming from the front RCA channel to the sub RCA on HU and plugged them from the front amp RCAs to the Sub amp and the same problem occured. I'm thinking either blown RCAs or just simply a bad headunit ground. There's a ground directly behind my headunit I'm going to try an ground there.

Not trying to be a jackass or what not but thats not what he meant by swapping rca's. He means did you buy new and fully working rca wires and tried to connect them from the headunit to your amps to see if the noise is present. I would buy new rca cables and run them on the driver side of your vehicle in the floor panel that is underneath the plastic trim you can pop up and slip the wire underneath. Im sure that will kill your alternator noise. You also gotta remember that on your vehicle, there are wire harnesses that come from the factory that are under your carpet and im sure that wire loom is causing some noise too.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Not trying to be a jackass or what not but thats not what he meant by swapping rca's. He means did you buy new and fully working rca wires and tried to connect them from the headunit to your amps to see if the noise is present. I would buy new rca cables and run them on the driver side of your vehicle in the floor panel that is underneath the plastic trim you can pop up and slip the wire underneath. Im sure that will kill your alternator noise. You also gotta remember that on your vehicle, there are wire harnesses that come from the factory that are under your carpet and im sure that wire loom is causing some noise too.

small note on this, i would run the new rca straight to the amp and not spend time hiding it under a panel. no point in spending time making it look clean only to find out it doesnt help any. if it does solve the problem, then hide the wires and retest.

also try running a new HU ground straight to the battery.

Edited by skittlesRgood

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.