Sonic Electronix

Big Problem. I messed up the air bags......

So, been working on my friends car for the past couple of weeks, some of you have probably seen the build log. Its a 2011 VW Jetta. Anyway the first thing we did to the car was install his head unit, speaker amp, and speakers.

Ever since then his airbag light has been on, meaning his airbags arnt working....Kind of a big deal.

I only have two ideas as to what happened.

1. VW doesnt use a remote wire to turn on their radio. Its weird they use some kind of CAN BUS adaptor thing. So for the remote wire I ran some 18 gauge to the fuse box under the dash and tapped in there. None of the fuses are labeled so I just picked fuses until one worked. So I could have done something there. Note: Even if I switch fuses the air bag light is still on.

I have also never put the stock radio back in to see if that fixes it. Thats the first thing I will try.

2. This one is kind of a shot in the dark but just by taking out panels and such I could have messed with a connector. I never unplugged anything but you never know with new cars. They can be picky.

Please drop a suggestion. We need to get this fixed because air bags are important. :trippy:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

Did you turn on ignition with any airbag plugs/ sensors unplugged?

Sorry reading owns me. just saw you didnt unplug anything

Maybe try running your remote lead to ignition instead of a random fuse? that could be an issue.

Make sure you fuse your remote wire. even though the vehicle has one, just do it anyway

Edited by EVAlonSo

MECP MASTER CEA208509

Proud employee of Alarms, ETC in lakeland, FL

ASE certified

2002 Tacoma:

4 RF P3 15s @ 28hz

2 RF T1500-1bdcps

2 pair Kicker QS

4 Pair RF Power 6s

3 RF p400-4

1 RF p200-2

ALP CDA-9887

I think the obvious decision would be to see if you can find out what fuse you tapped. its possible it is somehow connected to the SRS or airbag system. theres gotta be a way to figure out which fuses are which

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

You said you installed a head unit as well. being that there is no switch power, did you just use your remote wire as a relay for constant behind the radio?

MECP MASTER CEA208509

Proud employee of Alarms, ETC in lakeland, FL

ASE certified

2002 Tacoma:

4 RF P3 15s @ 28hz

2 RF T1500-1bdcps

2 pair Kicker QS

4 Pair RF Power 6s

3 RF p400-4

1 RF p200-2

ALP CDA-9887

I think the obvious decision would be to see if you can find out what fuse you tapped. its possible it is somehow connected to the SRS or airbag system. theres gotta be a way to figure out which fuses are which

Even if I pull the wire out and put all the fuses back in like normal the light still comes on. But maybe unplugging the fuse did something and the system has to be reset or something. Idk, I didnt design the car.

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

Throw the stock radio CAN BUS adapter back on the stock HU and see if the light goes away...

You may need to buy a bypass adapter if that is the case. I don't know the particulars of this car, but I have used them on other cars.

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |

Throw the stock radio CAN BUS adapter back on the stock HU and see if the light goes away...

You may need to buy a bypass adapter if that is the case. I don't know the particulars of this car, but I have used them on other cars.

There is no physical adaptor, unless its built into the stock radio. The radio has power and ground just no remote. It would have made my life a lot easier if they would have dont it the normal way.

Next time he comes over we will plug the stock back in and see if it fixes it.

Big 3 with Yellow Top

you gonna have to go to dealership to turn that light off, you can also find out why it's on.

Wait seriously? Fuck. I HAVE to go there to get the air bags working? I dont want the get there and then have them tell us we voided the warrenty somehow......

Big 3 with Yellow Top

Heard about them new vw`s. It happens when you try change radio, even if you didnt disconnect the battery you probs tripped it by removing the wiring harness.

You need a vag-com to reset it or take it to a dealer, they`ll probably charge you for it though....

Or else search for places with one who could do it for you.

i shook this one kids hand and it just folded in mine. long story short i fucked his girlfriendso.. yeah..

You want this to happen to you? Give decent handshakes people.

I was gifted with an innate ability to distribute wholesale ass beatings in a timely and orderly fashion.