Well after accumulating equipment over the last few months it is finally time to start my new install. I will be keeping my Headunit and kickpanel speakers. I will be replacing my door speakers, subs and amp. The new equipment going in is - Soundstream RF-60c 6.5" components for the doors, Sundown Audio SA-8 d4 8"subs, Sounstream TX4.560 amp for doors and kicks, and Sounstream TX1.1300d for the subs. I am going to be building new door panels and a new sub enclosure.

Anyway, here goes the build.

Just in case you don't know what a 2001 PT Cruiser door panel looks like here it is. 101_0856.jpg

I wanted to remove the inner (dark) section to have something to build off of. There is some "welds" that hold the two pices together. These are a pain to remove. It took lots of swearing and trying different tools to get them loose. i never found an easy way. Here are those welds on the back side. 101_0858.jpg

I also wanted to remove the armrest from the panel. It was a bit easier I just had to drill out the mounting poits with a large bit. here they are. 101_0857.jpg

This is what that left me with. 101_0859.jpg

I used the piece I removed from the panel as a template for the new panel. 101_0860.jpg

I used some existing poits on the factory panel to mount the new one to. I had to use varying size blocks and washers to space it out correctly. I also learned that overtightening will result in tearing the mounting point from the plastic panel. 101_0863.jpg

The result of all this looks like this. 101_0864.jpg

Next I took another piece of 1/4" mdf to use as my base for pods that will hold the door speakers and crossovers. I got the shape I wanted then I made a block fror where the crossover will go. I have used T-nut that wway I can mout the pod to the panel from the backside. I'm sorry I didn't take pics of everystep in this process but here is where I am at the end of today. I have stuck the crossover and speaker grill in there locations to better give an idea of where I am headed with this. 101_0866.jpg

I just wanted to say this is a very used tool in my shop. It is inexpensive and very handy. 101_0865.jpg

Hopefully I can begin fiberglass tomorrow.

Well, I was hoping to start glassing today but, it didn't happen. I am donating my time plumbing a house for a needy person and It was framed up over the weekend. The builder called and needed me to come by there this evening . I am going to try and get some more done on the doors this week and still work on this house.

I did however get a few items to help out with the build today.

101_0869.jpg

Jasper 200, spiral upcut bit, ANL fuse holders and fuses, 1/0 ring terminals, Voodoo ANL distro block, and 1/0 wire.

Heck of a start

2 12" Jeff Vue Customs
1 set MB Quart FSB 216 in doors
1 American Bass 100.1 on sub
1 Hertz EP2 on doors
JVC deck IPOD control
Stock 105 amp alt
DD-1
big 3
new build in Chevy caviler http://www.stevemead...chevy-cavalier/

last set up in the ZX2 http://www.stevemead...-current-build/

old build log http://www.stevemead...-1998-ford-zx2/

Gold is the money of kings, silver is the money of gentlemen, debt is the money of slaves. Just my .02c

that shop needs keep those doors open so they have to charge for it

if people think 10k is a lot then they should get into other hobbies.. like masturbating, cause any hobby cost money to maintain

Lol no, I'm smarter than that bro haha. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice..............go fuck yourself lol

I had a little bit of time this evening to get a little more done on my doors.

I got to use the Jasper circle jig for the time. This thing rocks!!

101_0870.jpg

I added t-nuts to the rings. These will be used to mount the speakers when finished.

101_0871.jpg

I glued some dowels to support the speaker rings. I have them angled slightly up and toward the seats.

101_0874.jpg

After that I covered them in Jerzee material (old t-shirt). This gives me an idea of what the final shape will look like.

101_0876.jpg

That is as far as I made it today. I put my tools up in the dark. Maybe I will get to the resin tomorrow. Stayed tuned for more and thanks for viewing.

Archived