Second Skin Audio

Building the enclosure to the vehicle...

I have a question for Ray, Don, Ric, and every other experienced car audio vet. Is there a certain method to building a optimal subwoofer enclosure to work well with the vehicle. I'll use Katies PCA truck that Ric uses in testing the 8" woofers as an example. He says it is built to the vehicle, and offers the best results (and IIRC, that the recommended enclosures offered by the companies couldn't hold a candle to the box.) Is this achieved simply by trial and error and years of experience, or is the a technique to it? I'm sure the answer is a combination of both, but it's something that's been on my mind. What do you look for when building the enclosure, if there is a technique to it?

I will completely understand if no advice is given, this is how y'all make a living and do the fantastic builds that y'all do, and I know if I had that knowledge I would keep it under lock and key. I'm just looking for any bit of information on this, even if it's a one word post...

Thank's y'all.

Edited by Supercharged DCs

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

I think you have to do a test like putting a woofer in a sealed box and trying out the differnt frequency..once you see which frequency is loudest you go from there..from what i've read.

That's why they don't deliver.

Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

I believe you are referring to finding the resonant frequency of the vehicle, which does tie into what I'm asking. So thanks :)

are you wondering like port forward or port back or subs forward stuff like that?

That's why they don't deliver.

Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

To an extent, yes. But this isn't really a topic about building a specific box to MY vehicle, as much as building a optimal box for certain vehicle. Does that make sense or am I babbling?

makes perfect sense, and i think the first thing they try to determine, like mentioned before, is the resonant frequency of the vehicle, then design a box that has a favorable response curve for the tuning of the box and rf of the vehicle

1969 Chevy Chevelle

20/22" staggered Bonspeed Huntingtons wrapped in Nitto INVO's

Mechman 250amp cs144 alt w/AVBM

Kinetik 1800 main battery/Kinetik 2400 in the trunk

Pioneer AVH-3200dvd Headunit

(2) sets of Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine components up front

(2) DD 3512's d4 coils

Sundown sax100.4 component amp

Sundown saz-3000d subwoofer amp

5ft^3 box tuned to 34hz

MY BUILD

are you wondering like port forward or port back or subs forward stuff like that?

I think he's more referring to like matching the quarter wave and such... That being the case I'm going to sit back and take notes. It's always interested me, but I'm not enough of an SPL guy to go out of my way and learn; but since he asked, I'll learn. Lol

-Zach-

2010 Toyota Tundra
Full Hybrid Audio SQ

7" BDS on 37's

2000 Ford Expedition

160+ dB Green Turd -SOLD- :(

Thank you both, glad to see I'm making a wee bit of sense lol. Zx, that's the kind of information I am looking for, appreciate it.

And 727, yes I want to learn a bit more about the quarter wave, and the science behind enclosure design in general. I'm not enough of an SPL guy either, and I do not have the funds nor knowledge to test what I assume is many variables. So, I'll sit back and see if I can learn a bit from the vets. :popcorn:

Mainly testing.

Resonant frequency of the vehicle ( peak ) and just general knowledge of boxes, power applications etc. Usually in my experience at least, boxes peak 4 - 8 hz above tuning frequency. There are exceptions sometime where the box can peak lower then the tuning frequency, but not as common.

and most people think their box peak is their

cabin peak. 90% of time isn't the case. Only way to really know is to get a sealed box, and test.

Edited by dwright27

2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver

XS Power

4 DC 3.5kw

Team DC

Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer

American Bass Dealer

XS Power Dealer

Audio Technix Dealer