Second Skin Audio

Jmilch's Red Oak Ply Box Build ( instead of birch or mdf)...

just a quick question how much did you pay for the oak

btw i like the look

Locally the Red Oak 12 ply was on sale, and as cheap as birch 8 ply.

So it was a no brainer.

i see that sounds like a good deal to me

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

Sexy box :drinks:

Thank you man :drink40: I really appreciate it

Hell yeah man, shit looks sweet as hell. I was thinking of doing this myself but didn't want to risk screwing it up lol, cuz I knew I would and then be pissed for wrecking the nice lumber.

I am FAR from a carpenter dude. I wouldnt do it without a nice table saw, decent router, and good large scale woodworking clamps. Other than that, I used basic tools and I am not a skilled or experienced wood worker. I spend probably 8+ hours of work on it including assembly and sanding.

oak and birch ply are going to be about the same thing. its the veneer or top layer that is actually oak/birch the rest is a cheaper wood.

the color looks like mine. what did you sand with between coats?

400 grit after the stain, and 600 grit wet sandpaper between coats of poly. I was meticulous with the sanding... I felt like not giving it 100% would make the rest of the project a waste of time.

just a quick question how much did you pay for the oak

btw i like the look

Locally the Red Oak 12 ply was on sale, and as cheap as birch 8 ply.

So it was a no brainer.

i see that sounds like a good deal to me

Yea it was on sale. Plus I liked the veneer a lot better.

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |

x2

Got any pics of it installed yet? I'm wondering how it looks in the car.

Not knocking it at all, but that would look great next to my couch as a home theater sub enclosure too.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Thanks beautiful, staining a box ftw

Thanks man :drink40:

very nice man

I appreciate it man

x2

Got any pics of it installed yet? I'm wondering how it looks in the car.

Not knocking it at all, but that would look great next to my couch as a home theater sub enclosure too.

Yea man I will take some in the morning. I have a JBL MKii 12" installed in it currently.

I will go try to take a few tonight and see how they turn out.

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |

ya you didnt need to do all that sanding. all i did between coats of stain and varnish was hit it with a white scotchbright pad. it looks like some parts of your came out lighter than others like you sanded down too deep. did you wipe the stain off after applying?

just trying to help you do it better next time :good:

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

ya you didnt need to do all that sanding. all i did between coats of stain and varnish was hit it with a white scotchbright pad. it looks like some parts of your came out lighter than others like you sanded down too deep. did you wipe the stain off after applying?

just trying to help you do it better next time :good:

Thank you man. The longest time I spent sanding were right in the beginning getting the edges to line up. IF you see light around edge lines that is the case. The other un even color was imperfections in the veneer. Next time I would look for a better piece of ply. :drink40:

Box looks good man.

Thank you man. I plan to snap some pics today with the sub in and show everyone. Its raining right now :shrug: