Sonic Electronix

I was wondering this too. I just bought a aq1200d and the clipping light comes on but i hear no distortion in the speakers at all it seems like the light comes on too soon not extremely soon but it seems i can get quite a bit louder before it distorts.

you can't always hear clipping. just 'cuz it doesn't sound distorted, doesn't mean you aren't killing your subs.

under construction

I hate People with crappy primered cars rolling on hubcaps that are louder then me.

u hate c-fizzy?

It would be really nice for someone with a DD-1 to tune an AQ amp. Make a video and have the DD1 and the bass nob side by side just to put all the theories of how accurate the clip light is to rest.

Edited by canderton01

2002 Camry XLE

35% tints all around

17'' Enkei FD-05 rims

Fi Q15 in 3.8cu ft box tuned to 32Hz

Pioneer DEH-P7200HD

AudioQue AQ1200d

4 Gauge Tsunami wiring/RCA's

mids/highs - OEM JBL system

AudioTechnix Deadner

Big 3 upgrade

My YouTube

They have already been proven to NOT be very accurate, they are signaling way before clipping. Im not sure what they are measuring but Crescendo already decided to stop using them

all their new line starting this month i think will have a clip light in the bass knob

the ppl who bought the new line of amps(black/copper) but got them before this month will be able to send them back to get it added on if they wish

they detect completely different things

DD-1 red light turns on when anything besides 40 or 1000hz is detected...

Clip lights on amps DO NOT detect DC voltage on the speaker outputs, they light when rail voltage meets a set point

and thats why we trust you with badass, unclipped music :drinks:

(not that this is the thread but im finding out that when i export in audacity with a clean all blue song and import it after there are a few red lines that appear.... just found this out today, ugh. negligable amount but that explains a few people complainin)

Edited by Decaf

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

ive also heard that they are acutaly quite accurate.. who knows was jsut curious on that is all

According to my TPI440, the AQ clip light is almost spot on....

Now I have a newer 2200d, real new. My older version did vary slightly.

I would trust the clip light. Now are you goin to say my oscope is bad because its not a DD1? LOL

the TPI was the thing TO HAVE here before the DD1.

Don't listen to this person..

Don't trust the clip light, except if you have to. But it only detects clipping made by the amp.(by measuring rail voltage like decaf said.)

DD1 is not a oscope, DD1 is better since it can detect distortion.

The oscope is still good if you know how to use it, and a handheld one isn't the best option.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

They have already been proven to NOT be very accurate, they are signaling way before clipping. Im not sure what they are measuring but Crescendo already decided to stop using them

all their new line starting this month i think will have a clip light in the bass knob

the ppl who bought the new line of amps(black/copper) but got them before this month will be able to send them back to get it added on if they wish

for real thats insane do i have to send the whole amp back r just the bass knob

NEW

2011 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ

2 XS Power D3400

Kicker HyperFlex 1/0

Soundstream Vir 7870bt

OLD

2010 Jeep Patriot

2 Murdered Out Black DC LVL 4 15s With XL Recones(with 1 extra spider pack a piece)

1 Crescendo BC 3500

1 MB Quart 60.4

1 Set RF T1 6x9s Up Front

1 XS Power D3400(Front)

1 XS Power D3400(Back)

2 runs of 1/0 Kicker Hyperflex

SoundStream Vir 7870bt

Fat Mat Rattle Trap Xtreme

[www.youtube.com/tntravelers33]

FEEDBACK

ive also heard that they are acutaly quite accurate.. who knows was jsut curious on that is all

I would trust the clip light. Now are you goin to say my oscope is bad because its not a DD1? LOL

Don't trust the clip light, except if you have to. But it only detects clipping made by the amp.(by measuring rail voltage like decaf said.)

The oscope is still good if you know how to use it, and a handheld one isn't the best option.

I didn't say the dd1 sucked. I said in my experience, the oscope was close to the aq clip light. I understand how each is measuring different things.

And the TPI is very decent, measured nearly the same as my old school bench scope....

The dd1 is an accurate way to measure distortion, but using the clip light still has a use.

It's also very nice to monitor the music, as a lot of music has different recording qualities and properties.

So even if you set the gain with a dd1, the clip light still has a very good purpose.

And from what I read, crescendo is going WITH the clip light.

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |

hmm some good info.. still mixed reviews on its accuracy i see.. i jsut wanted to know what it was measuring.. and rail voltage iskinda what i was thinking but wasnt sure..

In reality, the rail voltage does matter. It's not a direct monitor of the audio signal, but it is a good indicator of what output is going to the speaker.

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |

And the TPI is very decent, measured nearly the same as my old school bench scope....

The dd1 is an accurate way to measure distortion, but using the clip light still has a use.

It's also very nice to monitor the music, as a lot of music has different recording qualities and properties.

So even if you set the gain with a dd1, the clip light still has a very good purpose.

And from what I read, crescendo is going WITH the clip light.

TO the red: TPI is very decent, but because it's handheld you can barely see distortion(or not at all), you need a very trained eye.

THe big oscopes are better because it's easier to read and is more detailed.

Purple= The clip light doesn't detect clipping before the amp. Only clipping made by the amp.

SO after setting the gain with DD1 or Oscope you don't need the clip light.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.