Second Skin Audio

Got an enclosure question for you guys!

Hello everyone!

In my next upcoming build, im going to be using a plexiglass window in my build. But i have a question...I was going to use 4 pieces of allthread through the middle of the box for bracing. N8ball suggested that i use plexi rods for bracing instead which would look 1000x better in my opinion. I have found proper adhesive that would bond the plexi rods to the window, but i am concerned about how to adhere it to the wood on the bottom of the box. i feel that no matter how good of a glue bond that i can get, it would seem easy to peel off the top layer of wood that the plexi rod would be attached to. SO, my question would be....do you guys have any suggestions on a good way to mount/adhere the plexi rods to the wood.

This is a picture of the sketchup design that will better explain what im planning on doing. you can see the 4 peices of allthread that would be in the center.

jeepsrt8thinlineswithsubs8-13.png

The top part will be 3/4 inch plexiglass

You can also check out the build log so far. its the first one in the sig. Leave me some input!

to attach the edges to the wood you could use the adhesive and drill and countersink holes and use screw to hold it as well.

one thing it 3/4" might be too thin for how large of a piece you are using but i dont personally have experience with plexiglass

1999 Audi A4 1.8T:::

4 - DC Level 3 10's in a 4th order

Rockford P6002 on Subs for now (3-3.5k coming eventually)

MB Quart ONX4.60 for Mids and Highs

Boston S50 Components in Front

Boston S65 Coaxials in Rear

40 Sq Ft of Second Skin Damplifier

Build Thread

UBL

1948 Plymouth

i think you should be able to use screws if u pre drill and be careful like 6berry not much experience with plexiglass but making a money clip in shop class lol but the design looks awesome man i like it but personally think you should be fine using a wood screw if u pre drill

2 12ks and i dont know what to do

build in the works!

I love the design, i would think screwing would be good and glue, just make sure it dries all the way then if you really want you can do some fleece and resin just as a extra and paint it the color of the box

system:

changes way to much...

i know this isnt your question but is the bottom of that box open? just from the pic it looks like its sealed on bottom, sealed on top.

when i made plexi windows i used screws into the wood with washers pinching the plexi and caulking all around the joint. but that didnt need to hold any pressure because it was an amp rack, so... :pardon:

Edited by skittlesRgood

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Use a router and route out an area the size of the rod so it's countersunk into the wood, then predrill and screw it through the bottom and you will be good to go

1969 Chevy Chevelle

20/22" staggered Bonspeed Huntingtons wrapped in Nitto INVO's

Mechman 250amp cs144 alt w/AVBM

Kinetik 1800 main battery/Kinetik 2400 in the trunk

Pioneer AVH-3200dvd Headunit

(2) sets of Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine components up front

(2) DD 3512's d4 coils

Sundown sax100.4 component amp

Sundown saz-3000d subwoofer amp

5ft^3 box tuned to 34hz

MY BUILD

i know this isnt your question but is the bottom of that box open? just from the pic it looks like its sealed on bottom, sealed on top.

when i made plexi windows i used screws into the wood with washers pinching the plexi and caulking all around the joint. but that didnt need to hold any pressure because it was an amp rack, so... :pardon:

yes. the bottom of the box is open. it is a downfiring box...with the subs "inverted" if you will. Yeah thats my only trouble is that it needs to be solid as hell. the only thing i could think to do would be to tap a bolt into the rod and through the wood

Use a router and route out an area the size of the rod so it's countersunk into the wood, then predrill and screw it through the bottom and you will be good to go

well ive found that you can tap plexi but its risky due to breakage. my concern is if if will be strong enough to actually act as a brace instead of just decoration