Elementary wiring question. Just want to make sure I have the right idea.

This way, if you ever want to go back to stock, say like to trade it in, it's waaaaayyyy easier.

^^^ this!! wasn't thinking when i put my hu in my old lincoln. ended up loosn a hundo when i went to sell it :pardon:

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee

2 DC Level4 12"

Soundstream TA1.3000d

4 RF Punch 6.5" Components

2 RF Punch 3.5" 2-ways

RF Prime 400.4D

XS Power XP950 +&-run of XScorpion 1/0 OFC My Civic Build

1999 Monte is a pretty common car, so it should be pretty easy to find at a local stereo shop or even a Best Buy or something. If it were me, I would even postpone the install a couple days to order one in if I had to because I've found that the pin-out charts you find on the Internet/Haynes manuals aren't always right. A 1999 might be different color wires than a 1998 or a 2000. Not trying to dog you or your ability, just saying it might save you a bunch of headaches.

I was thinking this when i signed off awhile ago. I would NEVER start slicing and dicing at the stock harness that is in the dash. I have always used an adapter that plugs into the stock harness that is already there in the dash. Those adapters always wire up color for color with the wires that come off the aftermarket radio you are installing. What i did to save money and time was go to Advance Auto Parts and they have a ton of wire harnesses for radios cheap. I bought the one for my 04 envoy at Advance for $9.99 last fall. They are a hell of a lot easier to wire up as you have all the room to do so whereas in the dash you have limited room and finding the wires isnt as easy as you think. Plus the stock wires are NOT labeled in any way at all so you never truly know which wire does what. You are relying on someone else who screwed with it to find out and sometimes it isnt always accurate.

This is what you should need for your car you are installing: http://www.metraonline.com/part/70-1858

To ensure it is take the stock radio out and look at the back of the radio. The plug in the pic should look just like the one on the back of the radio except the one on the radio is a female connector. If they match then buy the metra adapter at your nearest advance automotive store, the number on the bottom right of the package should read "70-1858".

This is directly from advance automotives website: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Into-Car-Wire-Harness-Metra_6050220-P_2529_R%7CGRP60023_1380247188____

The price went up just a bit but it is still better than screwing around with the wires behind the dash and fucking something up. Id rather spend $11 than $100 if you ask me.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Thanks! Looking at the image, I'm assuming that the adapter converts the harnass to raw tails. The tails matching the aftermarket spacificly..

I know I can't see well, nor am I good at audio installs, so no skin off my back, but again, thanks everyone.

BTW, no one's insulting my inability or ability in any way. I'm very open-minded so I just tell my friends to bring it on, haha.

BASS MEKANIK RECORDS

"Audio Implosion" & "SubSonic Guillotine" available anywhere digital music is sold!

2007 Ford Focus

(NOTE: My cousin's build I helped him with)

Pioneer H/U

(4) Absolute Dome Tweeters on A & C pillars

Scosche HD683A's in front doors

Fosgate R168x2's in rear doors

SoundQubed HDS312 in custom 2.57 Ft^3 @ 30Hz

Audiopipe APCL-1800.1D

Q-Mat

Audio Technix 0 Gauge

119aH/850CCA Marine Deep Cycle batteries

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DWRhythm

Reading through this, and it sounds like you are going to cut the factory wiring harness (the one coming from the car). If this is the case, I highly advise against it. It is worth the 10-20 dollars it costs for an adapter. This way, if you ever want to go back to stock, say like to trade it in, it's waaaaayyyy easier. If i mis-read and you are getting an adapter, then carry on. You're doing it right lol.

thank you

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Went and got everything, only to find out his deck simply doesn't power on. Dirty.. Haha. He's gonna get a new one.

BASS MEKANIK RECORDS

"Audio Implosion" & "SubSonic Guillotine" available anywhere digital music is sold!

2007 Ford Focus

Pioneer H/U

Audiopipe APCL-1800.1D

Q-Mat

Audio Technix 0 Gauge

Thats not bad, as long as its the same brand you should be able to plug it right into the back of the radio without any problems. I had the same problem before and i got another pioneer radio that actually worked and never re-wired them up, just connected it to the back of the new radio that worked.

To disconnect the harness coming out of the back of your radio, there is a tiny retainer clip that you have to depress in order for it to allow you to pull it straight out. Once you do that just disconnect the harness that came with the new radio that works and compare the colors to make sure they all match up. If they do, make sure the plug connector looks the same. If it does, just drop the new radio in and it should fire up right away.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Thanks man. Was already aware on how to detatch the harnass, but it's always nice to know people will take an extra step to help others.

I also tested his Alpine on a 300w PC power supply that I use for that purpose. It just kept tripping the PSU. I wired up my Xplod and it powerd right up. I'm assuming something's wrong somewhere in the wires or at the point of contact.. There's a wiring diagram on the top of the head unit, so I know which is which.

BASS MEKANIK RECORDS

2007 Ford Focus

Pioneer H/U

Audiopipe APCL-1800.1D

Q-Mat

Audio Technix 0 Gauge

Hmm that is odd that it trips the PSU to turn off. When mine did that, i was either overloading it or shorting out the wire on purpose. If anything, see if you can detatch all the wires except the solid yellow (positive), solid black (ground), and the red (accessory turn on) wires. Connect the Yellow one to the yellow wire of your power supply (or just give it +12v of power), connect the solid black wire to the black wire of the power supply (or -12v of power), and connect the solid red wire off the radio to the yellow (positive +12v) wire you hooked up before. As soon as you power on the power supply the radio should turn on and show some life, if it doesnt then something internally is dead on it.

Sorry if you already tried just connecting only those 3 wires, just shooting out things to see if you can revive the radio for your friend.

know how to wire up a PSU radio. It powers my xplod just fine, but not the alpine. Looked at the harnass and it appears there's barewire at the contac point on the harnass. I bet, if anything, that will make things really unpleasant...

BASS MEKANIK RECORDS

2007 Ford Focus

Pioneer H/U

Audiopipe APCL-1800.1D

Q-Mat

Audio Technix 0 Gauge