Second Skin Audio

high roll surround

high roll only gives you more if its also not wide.

wide rolls take up cone area.

Unfortunately high rolls also tend to be wide.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

i just installed some rockford fosgate p3's and they had high roll surrounds :pardon:

1999 Audi A4 1.8T:::

4 - DC Level 3 10's in a 4th order

Rockford P6002 on Subs for now (3-3.5k coming eventually)

MB Quart ONX4.60 for Mids and Highs

Boston S50 Components in Front

Boston S65 Coaxials in Rear

40 Sq Ft of Second Skin Damplifier

Build Thread

UBL

1948 Plymouth

i know the lms ultra has one too, idk its just a very cool look and i heard sounds greattttt

It really isnt the bees knees. Sometimes it makes a difference, but other subs perform better without a high roll. :peepwall: Just sayin'

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |

As STEvil pointed out, high roll surrounds can offer a smidge more surface area than a conventional surround if the total width of the surround is smaller than that of the surround it is being compared to.

As far as a high roll surround effecting the sound; all surrounds impact the way the driver sounds. Narrow surrounds do shape the Cms curve differently than a perfect half roll surround. Most surrounds, however, are not a perfect half circle as they are renditions of a semi-circle usually found with some straightened edges towards either the basket landing or cone landing. Getting back to tall roll surrounds now; Yes they will have an impact on the sound of the driver. You must look at the material the surround is and how thick it is to get a rough notion of how it will impact the sonic performance of the driver. For instance, the old TC Sounds tall rubber surround is VERY thick and made from a pretty low compliance rubber compound. Because of the latter the surround acts as a lot of the mechanical restoring force of the driver. I think they may have changed their toolings or compounds for their current drivers, but the old surrounds used on the TC Sounds OEM drivers were so stiff that soft spiders were used to reach the target Cms (and in turn, Vas).

The shape of the surround and spider together are what ultimately shape the compliance curve. The surround used on our Obsidian drivers is very tall on the 15" (and will be the same on the 18" version), made out of an adequately compliant rubber that's not too stiff or too soft, and together with the Nomex spiders shapes the Cms curve appropriately for the end user by aiding the spiders' mechanical "brake" towards the end of usable excursion.

PS: I just noticed that I don't have good angled pictures of the drivers on Obsidian's web page so here is a good video that shows the surround on our 15":

Edited by Electrodynamic

Electrodynamic

Power handling is not a power requirement! Don't install suckage!

Simon Eichenberger is the man.

My PM's are disabled.