advantages you get more voltage you get more power to your amps

disadvantages. it is a pain in the ass.

id never do 16 volts daily thats just me. too much work two seperate charging systems and i believe the16 volt gear is more expensive.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I've already got a 16 v setup I'm just waiting to get my 16 v batts tomorrow..i was jus curious how much of a difference it's going to make in reality so I asked for you all opinion.

I have 2 330 amp alternators. One alternator is running the vehicle at 12v and the other has a voltage module on it but since I don't have my batts yet it's only charging at 14.4 for the moment

No point at all going 16v unless you have something ridiculous in your car or your a competitor. I don't really know what you have but I run 16v daily and never really have an issue with it. The only issues I have are with the 12v side.. Never run step downs or your going to be spending a lot of money and energy fixing it all of the time.

Hummer H2

(8) Crossfire XS V2 15's

(4) Crescendo Audio BC 5500s

(16) Crescendo 6.5's, (16) Crescendo Tweeters, (4) Beyma 8" Midrange

http://www.youtube.com/Owners1

No point at all going 16v unless you have something ridiculous in your car or your a competitor. I don't really know what you have but I run 16v daily and never really have an issue with it. The only issues I have are with the 12v side.. Never run step downs or your going to be spending a lot of money and energy fixing it all of the time.

Explain to me how people like dbdon run step-downs daily and has no problem. What will you be fixing all the time? As for running it only for competing and such, I disagree with that too. Unless you are running a 2k watt system in the trunk with no plans to upgrade, I think it's worth it. I'm heavily considering 18v daily, because charging at a higher voltage when all you have the space for is two alts is, IMO, completely worth it. More power from alts, more power from amps. Is it a headache? Yes. Is it worth it? Depends on who you're asking. I think it is.

you had 16v batteries on the way when you asked this, they are here by now. what was the point in asking? you're already doing it.

btw, i would sell that second 12v 330amp alt. no way your car needs 330amps. i would put a smaller one in to reduce the strain on the engine and get some extra cash for your build. thats up to you obviously. just a lot of power to waste.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Explain to me how people like dbdon run step-downs daily and has no problem. What will you be fixing all the time? As for running it only for competing and such, I disagree with that too. Unless you are running a 2k watt system in the trunk with no plans to upgrade, I think it's worth it. I'm heavily considering 18v daily, because charging at a higher voltage when all you have the space for is two alts is, IMO, completely worth it. More power from alts, more power from amps. Is it a headache? Yes. Is it worth it? Depends on who you're asking. I think it is.

If I could explain to you how people like dbdon run steo-downs daily and have no problems, I would probably not have any problems myself now would I?

As far as what I said about 16v being pointless unless you have something ridiculous or a competitor, well... to do a proper 16v install and not do some crap with step downs which lower your 12v voltage or harrison labs flux capacitors, you are going to incur some costs. For a PROPER install, you will need a minimum of two alternators. One 12 volt and one 16 volt as well as a bracket for them. Lets not forget that you will need 16 volt batteries which run at much lower capacity than 12 volt batteries meaning you will need more to get the same reserve. I know that amperage goes up with voltage yaya but that still doesn't suffice for a battery half the size.

So with that being said, do you really want to take your 5000 watt system and spend a few grand upgrading the electrical system when you can just buy another 5000 watt amp and keep everything on 12v?

tl;dr -

step downs fail.

proper 16v will cost more than upgrading 12v with a smaller system.

Hummer H2

(8) Crossfire XS V2 15's

(4) Crescendo Audio BC 5500s

(16) Crescendo 6.5's, (16) Crescendo Tweeters, (4) Beyma 8" Midrange

http://www.youtube.com/Owners1