Second Skin Audio

Haven't made a box in years... how much?

My absolute bare minimum is cost of materials + $60, that's for as simple as they come. For that box, I'd say anywhere from $120 to $150 depending on how hot his niece is.

-Zach-

2010 Toyota Tundra
Full Hybrid Audio SQ

7" BDS on 37's

2000 Ford Expedition

160+ dB Green Turd -SOLD- :(

So what was wrong with that box ? :) LOL

Seriously, that thing looks like some of the stuff I've snagged with my anchor, and pulled up from the bottom of a lake ! :) LOL

Curious what the inside of her car looks like ?

Peace,

Fish

Neighbor came over and asked me if I could rebuild him a box for his niece. It's for a small 10" POS sub, but she likes it.

She wants the enclosure exactly the same as the original, but better made. Whatever...

My question is, how much should I charge her? I haven't made anything for other people for a while so I have no idea where the prices are at this point.

Here is the enclosure in question (yep, particle board).

TPhoto_00006.jpg

So what you charge to remake this?

LOL, thats what I asked. Did she flip the car and it landed in a pond. lake, river, something? But no she pulled the system out for a while and shoved the box in the shed... shed not weatherproof. It was actually in multiple pieces and her uncle (my neighbor) screwed it back together to show me what it use to look like.

So what was wrong with that box ? :) LOL

Seriously, that thing looks like some of the stuff I've snagged with my anchor, and pulled up from the bottom of a lake ! :) LOL

Curious what the inside of her car looks like ?

Peace,

Fish

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

If the box looks like that I'd check the sub(if it was in the box while chillin in the shed) could be building a box for nothing LOL

Na, she took the sub and stuck that in her room along with the amp. She's not THAT stupid.

fiberglass it, paint it black, call it a day. lol

Don't tempt me. Chances are I could probably get away with it. A bit of glass and resin, some sanding, and a rattle can paint job... hmmm. :lol:

usa_render4.png

Yeah I told him how much it'll be for me to remake it.

I also told him to have her bring over the sub and all of that so I can take a look at what she's running. Told him a better box design may be in order, but who am I to argue? I'm just the monkey with the tools. :D

She might decide not to do anything (I think they were hoping for a much lower price).

usa_render4.png

If they're thinking you're gonna be cheaper than prefab, just let them go prefab. Walmart sells them for $30.

Some people will want form over function, and care more if it's pretty than if it's loud. A custom box is always better than prefab, but it sounds like these people may not appreciate the differences. If they're paying 4 to 6 times or more they may be scrutinizing your box's appearance and wondering why they paid so much... they won't hear 6x better sound (their opinion), and they may think you ripped them off.

You be the judge, but remember you can't win everyone over.

:drinks:

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.