Second Skin Audio

HELP - Subs not loud

Hobbs155

i will check the phase of the subs, they are round ports 2" dia x 7" long but they are just make shift, the box was originally built with 3" dia x 3.5" long ports but they dont sound very good. the 2" ports sound a whole lot better although not perfect.

What do you mean "It's supposed to be ..x..x.. instead of ..x..

I thought you had a slot port. So it needs height,width and length.

A 2 inch port is too small, not enough port area at all.

You need atleast a 4 inch port.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Sounds like you don't have enough port as well. Could be clipping badly as well. Sounds to me you have such little port the box probably just sounds like a leaky sealed box. With that said, how did you seal the ports? If the ports are in there and not sealed well then it's going to sound like shit with leaking so bad.

Now if I understand correctly the subs are in separate chambers in the same box with separate aeros for each chamber?

In your measurements it looks like you forgot displacement of the ports as well, although not much it will raise your tuning and lower your net box size. Also in your tuning calculations, did you account for displacement of the subs and ports. Since both will raise tuning a decent amount.

Make a new box. My advice is to put both subs in a common chamber(dont split the box) as long as they will be pushed by 1 amp and not 2 seperate amps due to cancellation issues. Id use 4" or 6" round ports and prob more than 1 depending on box size you might use between 2-4 ports. Your ports need to be decently long not 3.5" that prob tunes ya to 100hz.lol idk but a new box is most likely a must if ya need help with it, ask

145.9@40hz

145.3@34hz

big 3

X2 group 34

Deka Group 31

All 0/1 awg jl meta wire

Alpine CDA 7894

Orion HCCA D5000

2 AQ HDC312's

Crunch gpv1100.2 (for 6.5"s only)

AQ pro audio 6.5" - 3 sets

AQ supertweeters - 2 sets

2000 Slamry

I tried to get the box built to the pioneer specs, the box came out bigger than what it should have, pioneer recommended 1.2cuft with the 3" x 3.5" port. I'm no expert at building boxes, the last one built to pioneer specs spounded awsome with my old pioneer subs.

Those box measurements are external and I calculated in the sub displacement, i used an online calculator to work out the port lengths after they had been cut. Lol

I will get pics uploaded as soon as I can, sorry about the delay.

So if I build a new box, how do I work out what's going to be the best enclosure volume and port sizes an tuning? Maybe someone who had these subs could let me know there enclosure volume and tuning and how it sounds?

HU: Alpine CDA-9886 with Imprint Module

Fronts: Alpine SPR-60C

Rears: Alpine SPR-60

Amps: Alpine PDX4.150 and ICE Power 20000D

Subs: 1 x 15" Rockford T2D215

Big 3 Upgrade 0/1 AWG

2 Farad Cap

Wiring 2 AWG

120Amp ALT

external: 36cm x 38cm x 96.5cm

correct?

we don't have 3/4inch MDF in Australia (19mm) we have 18mm.

so internal is 32.4 x 34.8 x 45.5 per chamber.

meaning each chamber is 51 litre before displacement, which is a bit smaller than I would have done, but should be fine.

I'd tune to about 35Hz, as the chambers are smaller than ideal.

minimum a single 4inch port per chamber, which needs to be about 36cm long.

a 3inch diameter, 3.5inch long port would tune the box to like 45Hz :P

Thank you for the advice, I will see if I can get hold of some 4" ports and try them.

I just been to the local sound dealer and one of the guys there had a 15" that was sounding good in his car so we parked next to each other and put his sub in my car still running off his amp and radio and it still wasn't loud, starting to think maybe it's my car?

HU: Alpine CDA-9886 with Imprint Module

Fronts: Alpine SPR-60C

Rears: Alpine SPR-60

Amps: Alpine PDX4.150 and ICE Power 20000D

Subs: 1 x 15" Rockford T2D215

Big 3 Upgrade 0/1 AWG

2 Farad Cap

Wiring 2 AWG

120Amp ALT

Trunk Cars are not the easiest to get real loud

145.9@40hz

145.3@34hz