my buddy is thinking about going to a local pick a part and taking a turbo off a volvo S40 cause its like 50$ or something. We were both wondering would a turbo in a Volvo work with any other car. If so what would be needed to not blow the shit out of his car? as you can tell neither of us are the mechanic type. Just wanted some insight before he runs down and ends up in the pit 50$ with yet another thing laying around his garage.

lifted trucks gorgeous sluts a pretty face and slammin bass

My current Set up

Car less :(

I Do Ported Box designs/cutsheets with 3d google sketchup model just PM

i would really want an in-depth guide

Just flip the fucking thing over

but taking a turbo off a volvo could be compatible with another car?

My current Set up

did a little bit of research which is why i asked this question. before i decided to do the research he was gonna go buy it and bolt it on cause he thinks he knows everything but i know when it comes to engines nothin is that simple

My current Set up

there are other ways to get more power out of your buddy's car than adding a turbo. sure it may sound easy, oh lets just pull a turbo off some car and put it on your car. but its way more complex than that. your gonna need a BOV, wastegate, turbo manifold (for your car) intercooler, custom exhaust, bigger injectors, the computers gonna have to be retuned with the car on a dyno (dyno time isnt cheap) and for it to be a stock turbo off a car call it a possible 50hp gain. just spend less money in the longrun go buy some bolt-on goodies and save the headache... cause if the turbo setup is done wrong that motor will become a =@:noob:

2007 caliber

2 Fi ssd 18's

rd audio 3250

xs power d3100 (need 2 more)

stock alt (soon to be singer 350a)

2.75:1 4th order in progress!

there are other ways to get more power out of your buddy's car than adding a turbo. sure it may sound easy, oh lets just pull a turbo off some car and put it on your car. but its way more complex than that. your gonna need a BOV, wastegate, turbo manifold (for your car) intercooler, custom exhaust, bigger injectors, the computers gonna have to be retuned with the car on a dyno (dyno time isnt cheap) and for it to be a stock turbo off a car call it a possible 50hp gain. just spend less money in the longrun go buy some bolt-on goodies and save the headache... cause if the turbo setup is done wrong that motor will become a =@:noob:

figured this thank you guys for givin me yet another reason to show my buddy he doesnt know what the hell is talkin about and why he will never touch my car :D

My current Set up

Keep in mind your naturally aspirated motor might have too high of a compression ratio to really make use of the turbo safely. Not to mention that there are other things that are needed, as previously stated, as well as the fact that your car may need a different ECU (or be reprogrammed) and other components just to make it work properly.

To be honest, your best bet might be to look for a car that has the motor and turbo you'd want and use it as a donor car to take all of the necessary stuff from. Things like; The turbo, exhaust manifold, downpipe, PCM, BOV, and Wastegate. Sometimes even as far as needing the ECU, Crank shaft, connecting rods, pistons, sensors, wiring harnesses, etc.

To answer your question, yes, the turbo (any turbo for a matter of fact) is universal, but you may have to do a whole lot of dicking around for it to work properly. Depending on how much you boost it you could completely mess up the lower end of your motor, and that is where things get EXPENSIVE, trust me. I'm looking at replacing about 2/3 of the lower end on my Saab, it's not for those with squeamish wallets. Where there is a will, there is a way, but your first step is to gather as much knowledge about it as you can. Start by looking for others that have turbo'd the same car, and ask them what they had to do.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want