DC Sound Lab

XL 18" gets stinky...

"Fs" of an 18 xl is 32, the f3 can be manipulated, right?

yes the Fs is 31.86Hz, from the DC website.

"Fb is the tuning freq.

F3 is the point that the box is down 3db from its peak.

F3 is where the sub will just see a hole in the box and start to lose control. Very bad to play down here. A good design can get you a f3 point well below the tuning freq(fb)

A bad or poor design can actually have the f3 point above the fb. Crazy huh. I know. And yes i see it all the time.

This is where using winisd or bbp6 is far better than just a volume calc.

Live and learn"

Quoted from Ray

So im guessing theres some formula to figure of the F3 point of a box?

2014 Chevy Silverado Crewcab

1994 Chevy Full Size blazer

Download WinISD, enter the T/S specs for the XL18, and your enclosure size & tuning. It should graph the response, as well as an F3 point.

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

Another thing to consider box aside is just because you have a product that can take X amount of power and another that puts out Y amount of power Doesn't always mean you can hammer on it ALL day. Anytime you have a product playing at these power levels you are going to create heat. And A lot of it. A little common sense needs to play out when you have a larger stereo. Just cause a car can do 140mph, doesn't mean you should do it for the next 500 miles

Also, what may work in one persons system, may not in yours. There is so many variables to everyone's setup

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Download WinISD, enter the T/S specs for the XL18, and your enclosure size & tuning. It should graph the response, as well as an F3 point.

BUT there is also cabin gain, rise, voltage drop, & other things that can change results.

try the build & test, build & test, & build & test method. even tho building more boxes might be a pita its still cheaper than buying more equipment. :pardon:

m_8e0e9deb0e2a020a7ff1bf0d3a6c3306.jpgth_140x100square.jpgth_140x100rev2animated.gifsoundigital.pngth_Banner_140x100.jpgn221468318568_2854.jpg

8_RedDevillogo.pngteamtexflex-1.jpg

BUT there is also cabin gain, rise, voltage drop, & other things that can change results.

try the build & test, build & test, & build & test method. even tho building more boxes might be a pita its still cheaper than buying more equipment. :pardon:

Ooo wow I'm confused, is there a tried and true method to find out the F3 of your enclosure while it's in a vehicle?

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

Ooo wow I'm confused, is there a tried and true method to find out the F3 of your enclosure while it's in a vehicle?

im curious about this too?

all i know is i can get this sub stinky quick with a low song. im throwin a lil more then RMS at it but not that much.

2014 Chevy Silverado Crewcab

1994 Chevy Full Size blazer