What tools to get?!

Getting in the habit of wearing hearing and dust protection young is a good start. MDF and fiberglass dust is no joke when ya start weezin like us ol folk ;)

doesn't help that i already weeze cuz of my asthma...

18" Sundown Zv4 D2
JL 1000/1 V1
XS Power D3200

Getting in the habit of wearing hearing and dust protection young is a good start. MDF and fiberglass dust is no joke when ya start weezin like us ol folk ;)

This is so true, when i was buidling my box i forgot to grab my shop glasses and mask for work. So what i did was found a old pair of sunglasses my sister left at my house and wrapped a wife beater around my mouth and nose, espically when the router was going.

2006 GMC Yukon
Pioneer HU

SHCA ran throughout

Crescendo BC3500

One 18 AA Mayhem in a 4th order

ZED Levithian 6 channel

Rainbow Dual 6.5 comps ran Active
matt142-1-1.jpg
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/155628-matt14s-yukon-mayhem-in-a-4th-ordernew-amps-and-bats/page-3

Good tools can be CRAZY expensive and they add up fast. Thats why I love hand-me-downs. I don't car if my grandpa's jig saw is 25 years old, it still cuts wood!! Haha. I have gotten a bunch of stuff like sanders, clamps, and grinders from him.

X2.. especially snap on.. 80$ for a pliers,

quality tools cost alot, but i dont see a point of spending crazy money on a single tool, just get a descent brand, not a 50 cent chinese screwdriver or nothing, but something that will get the job done

awesomeness-1.jpg

(4)DD 9918's

(2)DC 10k

8 6.5" focals

2 DD SS4 mid amps

Audison Bit One processor

Jl-cl-rlc line driver

iPad in dash

Dual Irragi 320a alts

8 batcaps 4000's

Second Skin sound deadened

Are you asking what one is?

sure am. is it a mask thingy?

It sure is. Those fumes from fiberglass resign are pretty strong. I even wear a respirator when cutting MDF, but I have bad allergies. Most people I know just wear a simple particle mask when cutting MDF. I figure you never can be too safe, especially seeing my step dad suffer from COPD!

drill, router (with spiral bit), DMM, DD-1, power sander (with vaccume attachment), clamps, heavy duty cable cutters, shop vac, safety glasses and masks, latex gloves, brushes for fiber glass, soldering iron.

thats gonna be A LOT of money... lol and its not even half of what i need im sure

EDIT: another question... what sander should i get? and whats the difference between em

sander 1

sander 2

sander 3

Edited by HotRodHam

18" Sundown Zv4 D2
JL 1000/1 V1
XS Power D3200

Basic tools I would recommend to anyone wanting to do car audio, in your case since your budget is a concern I will list some things including ones that I own personally as well as some general prices on some things.

Cordless Drill - 18Volt $69 Ryobi

Hand Sander - $30 Ryobi

Plunge Router $99 Ryobi - with Upward Spiral Bit $30 (get a carbide tipped bit worth the extra money for the time it lasts)

Jigsaw - $69 Ryobi

Circular saw - $39 Ryobi(good alternative if you cannot afford a table saw)

DMM - $150 (Buy a Fluke it will be the last DMM you ever buy period, again worth the money for the time it lasts)

Circle Jig - $40 (Definitely a time saver but not required)

Carbide tipped drill bits $25-$30 Ryobi

Wood Clamps - (Various lengths, I personally have 6"/12"/24"/36" a pair of each) $4-$6 each

Corner Clamps $3 each

Lineman's pliers $25

Wire Stripper $22

SkewDriver This is a MUST have IMO makes getting screws in tight corners easy to remove and install. Here is a link to one at home depot this attaches to your drill direct. Skewdriver

Now to save you money, I use Ryobi brand power tools, they are affordable and work very well for me, all my power tools from my table saw to my cordless drill are Ryobi. As for wood clamps/corner clamps Harbor Freight they are lifetime warranty and probably the cheapest you will find. Circle Jig is gonna run around $40 here is where I got mine. Jasper Jig 200 I use Channel lock brand pliers and such, they are not the cheapest but they for me are very durable and again never let me down.

This aside from basic tools, screw drivers and socket sets with ratchets etc.

Edited by all4spl

Retired from SPL again....

2016 IASCA Truck/Trunk 2 Champion 151.8db

2016 IASCA Truck/Trunk 2 World Record Holder

Circular saw straight edge, u can get aluminum adjustable ones for $20 at lowes and they go something like 10ft. I bought an 8' level for masonry work but its saved me a lot of cuts and wood, being show to cut length wise on a 4'x8' piece of birch, since tops and bottoms or sides are usually similar to each other. Rip the length and cut to desired size, works great. Bucket buddy for a 5gallon pale is always useful for the small hand tools and such, heavy duty surge bar so u agent constantly changing power tools around on one ext. cord. Plus everything else that had been said haha.

DC SOUND LAB NUT HUGGER

Currently Own
4 - 18" lvl 6s (m3) w/full Carbon Fiber option

2 - DC 5k

lvl 4 motor

lvl 2 motor

On 8/2/2013 at 8:13 PM, n8ball2013 said:

this is much worse. Its old n8 without the time or patience to hold fucking hands. I'm supposed to be doing school work but yet here i am making sure jr fuck fuck isn't trying to poke the other kids with a stick.

No need for a sander really.

Circular saw

Stright edge 4ft

Some bar clamps

36grit sandpaper

80grit sand paper

14v chucked drill

Jig saw

Screws

Pilot drill bit set

Dmm

Channel lock crimpers/strippers

Start goin around to stereo shops at night and dig thru their trash cans, start collecting wire and crap they are throwing away.

A nice size shit box is awesome when working at home on a saturday night and you need that extra piece of 4awg wire.

I could prob build a whole car with just those tools. Prob cost about 4-500.00

Spend 100 on connectors and tape and zipties at parts express.

Free ship over 100.00 woohoo

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz