Sundown Audio

Cooling Amp in Sealed Trunk

OrionStang

Anyone with a DC 175.4 know sit gets hot, really hot. Even at only 4 ohms per channel. Never had mine go into protect until today. It was about 110 and after about 45 min of music at a reasonable volume, it shut off. Pop the trunk and can't even touch it, burning up. Let it cool off for about ten minutes and it works fine. Adding to the problem, I think, is that the amp is mounted in the trunk, sealed off from the car. Any suggestions how to keep it cool? Would a fan or two back there help, even if they are just blowing hot air around?

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

My 3.5k got hot as shit. Literally could cook meat on it. Never went into protect though. Could put a fan in the read deck pulling air into the trunk. I don't think it would hurt spl much. I have speakers in the rear deck but as long as the box face is sealed great you couldn't hear a thing in the yrunk.

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

Also make sure power an ground wires are right size. When I used 8g on my zapco 750.2 it would get hot and protect. Rewired with 4g and solved the problems. Fans would work great also

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

I plan on cutting an inlet and outlet hole in my trunk and using fans, but my car isn't as nice as yours lol.

Try some case fans on a relay working together pushing air across the amp in a push and pull fashion.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

Fans should be sufficient 99.99% of amps are made of aluminium which is the 3rd best metal at head dissapation next to copper then silver, flow some air accross it or do an in and out twin fan set up from your cabin so the ac can get back there like bass junkie said but I'm with dc too small a wire or bad ground with suck the life out of an amp.

Edit*

Water and electronics are a no no imo one thing with a pos xbox but I wouldint trust my $2500 computer tower to a water cooled system, I have heard of leaks that fry the whole works,

Back to topic, does your car have a dash pad that you can mod? If its hot in your trunk blowing hot air is rather ineffective your amp would love some of that cold ac you enjoy why its baking in the trunk and the caps in the amp have a heat and time rating if you run it hot all the time the caps will fail prematurly.

Kenwood KIV-BT900

Front Stage

RF 400-4 Runs off dedicated 4 awg ofc

RE 6.5 125.5.

Lanzar Max Pro 6.5

Boston S60 6.5 components

Rear

Soundstream BX-15

4x Sundown SA8 v1.5

Crescendo BC3500D

2.4 net 28hz

4 runs of 0 gauge

Big 3

HC2400

700ca up front

Singer 350 Amp Alt

No deadener :/

Scytek Galaxy Alarm

Thanks for the responses. I really want to avoid letting air from the cabin back there, this car is hard enough to get loud. I'll swap the 8ga for some 4ga I got lying around and see if it helps. And grab a couple fans. Oh, liquid cooling would be sweet, 94retta, but a tad bit expensive lol.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

You can get a normal cpu type cooling system for like 70$ it basicaly has a in and out, i would cut that use little clear tubing that fits in the case "heat sinks" on the amp and run some colored liquid threw it! That would be down right sick.

The way i explained it is stupid but it gets the job done. Lol

I see your point hope the fans and wire gets it

Kenwood KIV-BT900

Front Stage

RE 6.5 125.5.

Lanzar Max Pro 6.5

Rear

Soundstream BX-15

4x Sundown SA8 v1.5

Crescendo BC3500D

2.4 net 28hz

4 runs of 0 gauge

Big 3

HC2400

700ca up front

Singer 350 Amp Alt

No deadener :/

Scytek Galaxy Alarm

You can get a normal cpu type cooling system for like 70$ it basicaly has a in and out like, i would cut that use little clear tubing that fits in the case "heat sinks" on the amp and run some colored liquid threw it! That would be down right sick.

It would have to be copper or aluminium tubing running inside the amp,through heat sinks no less but some clear tubing outside with regular antifreeze (green) and a small black light would look pretty slick, you should try it retta I wanna see.

Kenwood KIV-BT900

Front Stage

RE 6.5 125.5.

Lanzar Max Pro 6.5

Rear

Soundstream BX-15

4x Sundown SA8 v1.5

Crescendo BC3500D

2.4 net 28hz