Anyone for 4-way active using OS RF?

Planned system (subject to change):

Pioneer DEX-P99RS CD/4-way X-Over/Processor

Boston Acoustics ProSeries 6.4.3 components

(2) Boston Acoustics ProSeries 10.5 subs

(4) Rockford Fosgate Punch 150HD's

(1) Rockford Fosgate Punch 45HD

Design will be a 4-way active setup with one Punch 150HD per sub, one P150 on the 6.5's, one P150 on the 4's and the P45 on the tweets.

My test results on the P150's have shown they do around 120w/ch at 4 ohms stereo and 330w bridged at 4 ohms. The P45 does around 50w/ch at 4 ohms continuous. I've also considered using DSM amps as opposed to the HD's, but I may just try the older amps so I can represent OldSchoolStereo the way I should!

i-Lb9tqRW-M.jpg

See my videos on YouTube http://www.willistonaudio.com  Many tests and demos of OLD and NEW SCHOOL car audio gear!

See cool pics on Instagram @oldschoolstereo

The 6.4.3 has it's own cross over for each side that does one6.5, one 4 and one tweet. That crossover can be bi amped, what's the 5th amp for?

I had a similar set up in my Vette back in 2000. I had 2 100ix's. Each one feed a left snd right side of the Boston .3 set up and then 2 500m's F'ed aluminum 12" eclipse subs. All on pioneers 1st 7" fold out screen.

Good luck with the install

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

4 way active?

Yes, separate amps for subs, midbass, mids and tweets. The P99RS head unit does the 4-way active crossing over with fully adjustable x-over points and slopes up to 36dB/octave. Oh yeah, it also has a 31 band EQ and comes with a mic for auto setup. It's not cheap at $1199, but getting a nice head unit plus an external processor (Audison Bit One, Alpine H800, JBL MS-8, etc) puts you pretty close to that price. I just don't have the room to mount the external processor and wanted the simplicity of having it all built in to the head unit.

The 6.4.3's would be used w/o the passive x-over and crossed over actively: 50-250Hz (6.5's), 250-4kHz (4's) and 4kHz up (tweets) and the subs would see 80Hz and down. Again 2x150HD's on the subs (one P150 per sub at around 330W), (1) P150 for the 6.5's, (1) P150 for the 4's and (1) P45 for the tweets. If I find out the P150's don't have enough power for the subs, I may swap out the HD amps for DSM's so I could get 5-600W per sub. I want a completely balanced system for SQ, so I really think the P150's will have enough power, but only one way to find out...

I'll keep you guys updated as I'll need to sound deaden, build pods for the 4's and tweets, etc.

See my videos on YouTube http://www.willistonaudio.com  Many tests and demos of OLD and NEW SCHOOL car audio gear!

• 2 weeks later...

I've shown pics of this Fosgate "Frequency Energizer" before, but now you can see it in true 1080P goodness! I also show off an earlier generation "Pro-Line" branded Frequency Energizer, the brand Jim Fosgate created and sold before he used his own name! This is not car audio, but these devices were the Genesis of the "Punch EQ" circuit and extremely important to car audio...

or embedded below:

Some info from a Rockford Fosgate history document:

1970s: Reinventing the Market for Car Audio

The history of the Rockford Corporation can be traced to Fosgate Electronics, a specialty amplifier manufacturer founded by Jim Fosgate, the inventor of the company's first powerful amplifiers. While experimenting with audio technology, Fosgate owned and operated a small company called Pro-Line, in Salt Lake City, which produced radio transmitters and receivers for remote control model airplanes. In his spare time, he worked on his "Frequency Energizer," a circuit that adjusted for loss of high- and low-end audio frequencies as they channeled through to the speakers. Fred Hulan, owner of Audio Mart in Kansas City, encouraged Fosgate, providing him with information obtained in his own work. At the time, Hulan installed state-of-the-art audio equipment, called the Acoust-A-Voice, in homes and theaters. Hulan reported to Fosgate the inefficiencies he found in the system, and Fosgate applied his Frequency Energizer circuit to compensate for loss of high and low tones during sound amplification.

After many late night sessions of experimentation, Fosgate and some audio enthusiast friends developed Fosgate's first audio product for the consumer market. The PR-7000 amplifier integrated the Frequency Energizer into a 30-watt car amplifier using a tape loop. Fosgate demonstrated his amplifier at the Consumer Electronics Show in Chicago in 1973, attaching a $300 price tag. Initially, it proved to be an impossible task to find buyers for such an expensive piece of equipment, especially one for which no source unit with appropriate audio outputs existed.

Then, innovations by Fosgate Electronics, particularly that of the Punch Equalization circuit, introduced a level of car audio quality previously unknown, stimulating the market for high-performance car audio equipment which sold through specialty audio retailers. The company marketed its products under the Punch and Punch POWER brands, the latter being the top-of-the-line audio equipment.

By the late 1970s Fosgate Electronics had developed a base of retailer customers, and Jim Fosgate let the company manage itself while he began experimenting with surround sound technology. However, financial difficulties arose at the company that ultimately resulted in its producing lower quality equipment. Fosgate looked for someone to buy the company so that he would be free to concentrate on new inventions. In 1980 a venture capital company, Camelback Capital Corp., purchased Fosgate Electronics, renaming it Rockford Corporation for the street where the company had been located for almost a decade. At this time the company employed 25 people and recorded just under $1 million in annual sales. In 1982 Robert Pothier, of Camelback Capital, became president of Rockford Corporation.

1973 Fosgate "Powerpunch" PR7000...Fosgate's first car amplifier! The first amp to incorporate the "punch EQ" circuit from the Frequency Energizer I've shown before.

i-nWNMz7Z-M.jpg

Notice HIGH level inputs are RCA while LOW level are via terminals...

i-kjsmS8m-M.jpg

Amp is smaller than I thought it would be...notice comparison in size to the CD

i-FS6Dh4V-M.jpg

I actually got the PR7000 in a trade deal w/ my PPI ProMOS amps. I decided to narrow the scope of the collection and having one of these is like the Frequency Energizer, truly museum show pieces of car audio history.

Speaking of "clamping", I recently bench tested my RF Power 1000c Mosfet for continuous power output...further details coming soon, but I can let you know my dual 100A 13.8V power supplies choked before the amp was at it's peak power output at 2ohms per channel! That joker is a BEAST!! I need to get me a sponsorship from XSPower or something....the big batts could handle these huge current peaks for my tests. Hmmmm...

Archived