how to do a complete speaker recone

Just a video I made a while ago and never felt like editing.

I felt that most videos on the internet are low quality or very basic in explaining steps.

Its a 20minutes long, but lots of steps are involved doing a complete recone where you have to glue all the parts together, solder the leads to the former and what not.

There is a good amount of info in this video, however there is a great amount of information I edited out due to some of the techniques being somewhat secretive, and wouldnt want companies to get upset if they knew I gave out their tricks of the trade. :hand:

I am not a professional, nor do I claim to be. I do this as a hobby and to help out local friends & competitors, so they dont have to pay $100s shipping heavy woofers back and forth to companies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR6bpRaUDsI

• 2 months later...

Nice video

I just have 2 questions if you wouldn't mind answering. 1- how do you know where to pencil in the line for where the spiders attach? And 2- where did you get your shims/glue?

Nice video

I just have 2 questions if you wouldn't mind answering. 1- how do you know where to pencil in the line for where the spiders attach? And 2- where did you get your shims/glue?

You have to measure the spider landing that you are using on the basket, along with the top plate thickness on the woofer, do a few calculations and it will give you the needed measurements.

Shims are nothing special, I normally use xrays, sometimes paper depending on the gap of the woofer. Normal overhead transparency sheets cut down to size will work, as well as manilla folders.

As for the glue, I can not give the brand out, I buy it in bulk, and have a minimum order that needs to be made to actually have the company even waste their time with me being that Im so small time. I will say it is the same glue used by a couple well known speaker manufactures.

Ive ordered people bottles a couple times, but I remove the stickers before sending it to the people. :P

make a how to make a lazy susan like that, have always wanted one.

edit: it looked like whoever reconed those put the spiders down, then put CA glue between the landing edge and the spider edge. Instead of putting CA down, clamping the spider down, etc.

Edited by ChevyBoy95

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

You said the spider came off the landing because whoever first built the sub didn't scuff the surface of the landing, but then you proceeded to glue the new spider on without scuffing the landing? I am confus?

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

He didn't scuff the landing on the second one bc the spiders he used fit the smaller landing and not the bigger, so it would have been useless work.

2 Fi BTL N2 18s Fully LoadedSundown Audio NS-1Kenwood 845 HU Clarion EQ4 Juicebox 3100sKnu Wire"Big 3"Mechman 270a156.3dBTeam GG.