but I'm not a complete idiot (contrary to what my X's might tell you :)) LOL

So, when both Steve and Ray questioned the effectiveness of different length ports in the same box, I had to at least try making them all equal, to see if I could hear a difference.....

This morning I chopped two of my port extensions off from 18" to 12", and I finished a 3rd one, at 12" also. So I still have 36" of port extension, total, but instead of 2 at 18", and 1 with no extension, I now have all three at 12" {internally, my ports are 18", so my total port lengths are 30"}

And anyway, guess what > I honestly think its hitting the deep notes (the tuned port notes) harder, and cleaner. All the crap in my center console, and anything on my dash seems to be jumping around more too.

So, all 3 extensions tune my box to about 31hz. I could always yank off all 3 ports {yes, I said yank off ;)}, and bump it up to 34hz, if I were playing old school stuff, without much really deep bass > But I really like "really deep bass" :)

So I'm thinking maybe their's a reason that Steve and Ray own / moderate this website ? :)

Thanks guys,

Fish

So if I am understanding correctly you had different length ports and went to the same length port and it got louder? Makes sense to me :drinks:

Glad it is sounding better to you.

Well, that's what Ray said.... And yes, it seems as if it was......

Then again, {and maybe this is a just a different way of explaining "cancellation"} I did notice before that a lot more air was blowing from my 1 non-extended port, than from either of the two ports with extensions added > The air was taking the shortest / easiest path ?

Now, of course, it has "no easier path", so any air coming from any of the ports, has to travel just as far.

Of course, as I said before, "it sounded pretty darn good before". This might have only added 1 or 2 db's, but for 2 hours work, it was totally worth it.

Fish

do you think you were getting cancelation with the different port lengths?

whats the point of extensions if it only changes 3hz? i dont think you could even hear the difference

Sounds to me like he chopped off 6" from 2 ports. That should make an audible difference. In addition to making all 3 ports equal length.

Mixing up port lengths could've created standing waves, and/ or cancellation. Did you put all 3 ports in the same location as well? All internal or All External? If not, I would consider it. Keep everything simple.

Think of aero's like a high output exhaust system. If you were going to build something to go fast (or in this case get loud) you would have tuned headers and probably true duals to get the most bang for your buck. Not saying the tuned theory for exhausts is going to work on subwoofers but its the easiest way for me to explain it. Its almost like a dual exhaust system missing part of one exhaust, its now not completely tuned right.

I'll type more tomorrow, sleep meds are engaging.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

Then again, {and maybe this is a just a different way of explaining "cancellation"} I did notice before that a lot more air was blowing from my 1 non-extended port, than from either of the two ports with extensions added > The air was taking the shortest / easiest path ?

Now, of course, it has "no easier path", so any air coming from any of the ports, has to travel just as far.

Fish

^ this IMHO. The shorter port had less Volume or Mass of air to move, so that one Moved more, keeping the other 2 from working fully / properly. Just my .02

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.