DC Sound Lab

2 DC Level 3 12's

Gah, so here it goes!

Well, I decided to go with my first DC build in my brandy new '11 HHR. I managed to get hold of 2x lvl 3 12's. As far as powering them goes, Im running (Temporariliy) a Hifonics BRZ1200.1. Behind it, i've got my stock 650CCA delco, paired up with Kinetic HC600; with Knu 4 AUG wire. In the HHR, the battery is located in the rear from the factory; wired exactly like the Cobalt's are. I am woking my way into doing a BIG3, however, i find myself in a nutshell with the problem that i seem to be having. I have spoke to quite a few tech's and gotten their opinions, but i would like to hear a few more.. Here's the issue

Idling, with no load.. my voltage rests at about a 14.6. While under load, with the gain cranked about 3/4's way, i will drop to about a 12.2-12.6. If i attempt to feed the subs anything more than i am now, the amp will over heat and go into protect mode within minutes of it being under load, obviously from the drop. I know that Hifonic's amps are your more 'budget', 'less efficient' amp, how ever.. i guess you could say i got excited, stuck to my guns on buying a hifonics cause i had used them in the past without issue.. and find myself in the nutshell im in with an inefficient amp for the power i have to give it.

Fortunately for me, im still within my return period for this BRZ. So now the battle is to ONE, choose the best amp for my application, and TWO.. make sure i can stabize this voltage so im not hurting the 'new' amp of choice. I have been skeptical on which amp to go with, but if i HAVE to purchase brand new; it seems that it has boiled down to the AQ1200D. However, i would LOVE to run a DC 2.0K, or an AQ2200D, unfortunately i just dont have the cash at the moment, nor will until after Jan. of next year when yearend bonus's roll in.. and i just dont want to wait that long!

So i am telling myself that if i take an AQ1200D over the BRZ1200.1, its obviously going to be a more efficient amp. I am begining to believe that (obviously) doing a BIG 3 will help the situation, however i think the amp has more so to do with it. So, should i take that route? Any better suggestions that would be effective and cost friendly?

Thanks guys!!!

SARG

----------------------------

2011 Chevy HHR LT

Pioneer AVH-P3300

2x Sundown SA-12's

AudioQue 2200 @ .5

Kicker ZX 350.4

Kicker DS 65.2 Components (Front)

Kicker KS 65 2-Way's (Rear)

KnuKonceptz 0/1 BIG 3 Upgrade

2x Delco MFD 100W-H Batteries + Kinetic HC600

i say big 3 right now i have larger wire running to my amp i don't think that's necessarily right i have heard the big 3 can work miracles in voltage drop just tossing some change in :pardon:

might not hurt to get a more efficient amp either

Edited by deathcards

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

do you have a good ground? im running the same amp off completely stock electrical and it does just fine full tilt, but go with the aq1200 anyways you will get more output and it will be more efficient or what id get is the sundown sae1200 iirc its 220 on db-r on sale. it was clamped and put out around 1700.

*current*

1991 honda crx si

2 skar audio 12s

pioneer 6.5s

dual 400 watt amp

audio technix

db 1/0 wiring kit.

dual head unit

bigger wiring and the big 3 done would help alot, and i would just go with the aq1200 because they can do alot more than rated.

Team Clearly Louder (MECA)Team DC Audio

++* SELLING the CACTUS SOUNDS K12 for $1550 shipped *++

HMU!!!

3 flips. nollie flips. big flips. hardflips. - steez

Youtube Channel My Build Log

95 Bonneville SSE

- WALLED/4th Order - ~30 cubes -

*thanks LoganBerry, CortezDVT, Cj18, SuperCharged DC, Ryan-RAM Designs,LoudNLow931*

Thanks for your input guys.. The big 3 is definitely getting done, and i plan to swap out the stock delco with a bigger kinetic or an XS once funding becomes available when i decide to expand into amping my highs etc.

As far as going with bigger wire, right now i have Knu 4AUG running parralel between the two batteries, then a lead going into the amp which is the biggest the BRZ1200 takes. When i do the big3, i plan to do it with 0, however would i be safe leaving the 4 gauge in place and just use a distribution box to clamp in the 0 gauge with what i currently have setup?

Edited by TheSargSter

SARG

2011 Chevy HHR LT

Pioneer AVH-P3300

2x Sundown SA-12's

AudioQue 2200 @ .5

Kicker ZX 350.4

Gah, so here it goes!

Well, I decided to go with my first DC build in my brandy new '11 HHR. I managed to get hold of 2x lvl 3 12's. As far as powering them goes, Im running (Temporariliy) a Hifonics BRZ1200.1. Behind it, i've got my stock 650CCA delco, paired up with Kinetic HC600; with Knu 4 AUG wire. In the HHR, the battery is located in the rear from the factory; wired exactly like the Cobalt's are. I am woking my way into doing a BIG3, however, i find myself in a nutshell with the problem that i seem to be having. I have spoke to quite a few tech's and gotten their opinions, but i would like to hear a few more.. Here's the issue

Idling, with no load.. my voltage rests at about a 14.6. While under load, with the gain cranked about 3/4's way, i will drop to about a 12.2-12.6. If i attempt to feed the subs anything more than i am now, the amp will over heat and go into protect mode within minutes of it being under load, obviously from the drop. I know that Hifonic's amps are your more 'budget', 'less efficient' amp, how ever.. i guess you could say i got excited, stuck to my guns on buying a hifonics cause i had used them in the past without issue.. and find myself in the nutshell im in with an inefficient amp for the power i have to give it.

Fortunately for me, im still within my return period for this BRZ. So now the battle is to ONE, choose the best amp for my application, and TWO.. make sure i can stabize this voltage so im not hurting the 'new' amp of choice. I have been skeptical on which amp to go with, but if i HAVE to purchase brand new; it seems that it has boiled down to the AQ1200D. However, i would LOVE to run a DC 2.0K, or an AQ2200D, unfortunately i just dont have the cash at the moment, nor will until after Jan. of next year when yearend bonus's roll in.. and i just dont want to wait that long!

So i am telling myself that if i take an AQ1200D over the BRZ1200.1, its obviously going to be a more efficient amp. I am begining to believe that (obviously) doing a BIG 3 will help the situation, however i think the amp has more so to do with it. So, should i take that route? Any better suggestions that would be effective and cost friendly?

Thanks guys!!!

the main reason why your amp heats up and goes into protect is because you are clipping the shit out of it. 3/4 gain is way too high 99% of the time. how did you set your gains, by ear? oscope? multimeter? also, the big 3 is one of the most helpful cheap steps you can take to stabilize/increase your voltage

Unfortunately, yes i did set it by ear, and i consistently played with it.. watching the heat, voltage etc, and just below 3/4's seems where it wanted to be. I am waiting for an oscope that i ordered, which will obviously help me alot as far as tuning.

As far as ditching the BRZ goes, im either looking at a sundown saz-1500 v2, or the AQ1200d.. after contemplating it for days

SARG

2011 Chevy HHR LT

Pioneer AVH-P3300

2x Sundown SA-12's

AudioQue 2200 @ .5

Kicker ZX 350.4

woops double post fail

Edited by BFF Larry

HMU!!!

95 Bonneville SSE

*thanks LoganBerry, CortezDVT, Cj18, SuperCharged DC, Ryan-RAM Designs,LoudNLow931*

Thanks for your input guys.. The big 3 is definitely getting done, and i plan to swap out the stock delco with a bigger kinetic or an XS once funding becomes available when i decide to expand into amping my highs etc.

As far as going with bigger wire, right now i have Knu 4AUG running parralel between the two batteries, then a lead going into the amp which is the biggest the BRZ1200 takes. When i do the big3, i plan to do it with 0, however would i be safe leaving the 4 gauge in place and just use a distribution box to clamp in the 0 gauge with what i currently have setup?

yes it would be safe, the flow would be better from the alt to the box. but you probably wont get a big difference

HMU!!!

95 Bonneville SSE