Do I need a capacitor?

My friend recently had his first system installed in his car. He is insisting that I should have a capacitor in my car. I am also a noob at all things car audio so I don't really know whether or not it's necessary.

My electrical system is 100% stock. Stock battery, Alternator, and wiring. The only after market wiring in the car is the 4 gauge to my amp and my ground wire.

My car's lights flicker a little bit when the bass hits. The windows are a little slow to roll up with music playing and the car idling, I assume because of the reduced power.

When I have the car's volt meter up on my display I stay over 14 volts while driving on the interstate. City driving with the AC on I'm between 12 and 13 volts.

Would installing a capacitor be a good idea?

2004 Pontiac GTO- bolt ons, bagged, CCW's, SQzzz

Check Out my build log

Follow me on IG: @watsupitsdenny

No, a small secondary battery would do much more for you then a capacitor ever could.

Look into the smaller XS Power or Kinetik batteries. :)

Ya...like dim his lights more. The alternator has to run the car and maintain the battery. Typically, batteries draw about about 7A of current and need 13v< to charge. The flickering lights means the alternator cannot keep up and the voltage is stepping down to the battery. In case you don't know; a battery is around 12.5v and the alternator produces around 14v. When the voltage dips b/c of current demand, you're running off the battery.

I don't care if you have a stock battery or 15 aftermarket batteries; the lights are still going to dim.

To fix this issue, I'd like to know more about the OP's system and vehicle. In normal daily drivers (<1kW), a "Big 3" upgrade is a waste of time and money. A 4ga run that's <3' can carry A LOT of current with minimal voltage loss. Spending who knows how much on 1/0, connectors, loom, and a few hours doesn't make much sense if you're going to gain .1v at the back of the car. Likewise, it's probably a bad idea to toss HO alternators and whatnot at the car if the problem can be fixed by finding a better grounding point and/or turning down the gains a bit. Hell, a good cap will probably fix the problem but I'd prefer a "free" solution...wouldn't you?

As stated already try the big 3, if that doesn't work add a small battery to the rear or just get a nice beefy battery for the front depending on the amount of power you're running.

You definitely do NOT want a capacitor! A small xs power or kinetik battery is equivalent of 100+ 1 farad caps for only a few dollars more than a 1 farad cap, way worth the extra money. Plus you'll have overhead to upgrade in the future.

Good luck :drinks:

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

No, a small secondary battery would do much more for you then a capacitor ever could.

Look into the smaller XS Power or Kinetik batteries. :)

Ya...like dim his lights more. The alternator has to run the car and maintain the battery. Typically, batteries draw about about 7A of current and need 13v< to charge. The flickering lights means the alternator cannot keep up and the voltage is stepping down to the battery. In case you don't know; a battery is around 12.5v and the alternator produces around 14v. When the voltage dips b/c of current demand, you're running off the battery.

I don't care if you have a stock battery or 15 aftermarket batteries; the lights are still going to dim.

To fix this issue, I'd like to know more about the OP's system and vehicle. In normal daily drivers (<1kW), a "Big 3" upgrade is a waste of time and money. A 4ga run that's <3' can carry A LOT of current with minimal voltage loss. Spending who knows how much on 1/0, connectors, loom, and a few hours doesn't make much sense if you're going to gain .1v at the back of the car. Likewise, it's probably a bad idea to toss HO alternators and whatnot at the car if the problem can be fixed by finding a better grounding point and/or turning down the gains a bit. Hell, a good cap will probably fix the problem but I'd prefer a "free" solution...wouldn't you?

Who are you?

--2004 Toyota 4runner

New Build Log

-2002 Acura Tl-S

Old Build Log

Team DC Audio

ttf.png

spl dust is an option you can get on the coils... it's great for extra 1000 watts of power

where can i get this spl dust and how much is it. is it hard to apply? lol

The lights don't dim to the point of inability to see at night but they do dim. The only time I can actually tell they are dimming is at stoplights with being able to see my lights in reflections of peoples cars or when my car is parked and I am outside of it. I don't think the power loss is too bad though because the lights just dim slightly. Plus I'd assume a Chevy V8 factory would have a pretty large alternator.

Edited by GTOguy

2004 Pontiac GTO- bolt ons, bagged, CCW's, SQzzz

Check Out my build log

Follow me on IG: @watsupitsdenny

I would do what has already been said

Big 3 and if that dont help then a smaller battery

If you do the big 3 and need help doing it, be it soldering or just running wire, PM me bro and i can help.