Second Skin Audio

i jump'd ahead and bought to big of a sub

I am fairly new to car audio and i didnt do the math to figure out how much my car could handle, so i went with a alpine type x 12 and a mrp m1000 to power it.

Buut i only have a 90 amp alternator. right now im running it at 600 watts 4 ohms and if i did my math right 90x12 (my voltage isnt that low im just being conservative) is 1080 and my car needs half of that so im left with like 500-600 watts. I dont really wanna upgrade alternators and im bout to do the big three cause i still dim.

but the reason i've come to a forum despite the fact im going to be laughed at is for this question.

Would i be better off and louder if i downgraded to a smaller sub? say the alpine type r witch is 500 rms and run that at600 4ohms with the amp i currently have?

well, power draw is mainly due to the amplifier, not the sub. Any sub will act similarly.

But, with 600w, or even 1000w, you will be fine with your alt.

The alt will make power at 14.4v x 90A. But also the battery is taken into consideration. How much power can the alt/batt combo supply?

Most commonly, its about 2000-2500w for a factory setup. But time is also a factor so how much power over a given amount of time.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

Same cone area on the same power I would have to say would stay the same. Best to keep the x and when u get more electrical to back it, than the sub isn't completely shredded. Just make sure you aren't clipping the sub or trying to make it louder and kill it with heat.

DC SOUND LAB NUT HUGGER

Currently Own
4 - 18" lvl 6s (m3) w/full Carbon Fiber option

2 - DC 5k

lvl 4 motor

lvl 2 motor

On 8/2/2013 at 8:13 PM, n8ball2013 said:

this is much worse. Its old n8 without the time or patience to hold fucking hands. I'm supposed to be doing school work but yet here i am making sure jr fuck fuck isn't trying to poke the other kids with a stick.

well, power draw is mainly due to the amplifier, not the sub. Any sub will act similarly.

The alt will make power at 14.4v x 90A. But also the battery is taken into consideration. How much power can the alt/batt combo supply?

Most commonly, its about 2000-2500w for a factory setup. But time is also a factor so how much power over a given amount of time.

Yes but since im not really powering my sub to its fullest im not getting all it can do, my thoughts are if i down grade a sub and be able to push it more would i end up with sououd improvements

i have a 70 amp alt with the big 3 done with 2 amps (1200w and 200w respectively) and my voltage stays pretty constant, high 13's low 14's. you shouldnt have much problems, if any at all. and that headlight dimming is the worst. easiest way to fix it is by getting HID's. i can start my car with my headlights on and not even have them flicker.

get a little battery (for the back/trunk) and you will be fine (make sure it's a SEALED batt)

Edited by ChevyBoy95

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Yes but since im not really powering my sub to its fullest im not getting all it can do, my thoughts are if i down grade a sub and be able to push it more would i end up with sououd improvements

You dont have to power it to its fullest. It will have other benefits over lesser subs than just greater power handling. It may have a flatter frequency response and sound better and may also be more efficient. So I'd stay with that sub and just tune your amp to be as clean as possible.

The greater power handling means that you can upgrade the amp in the future just to get it a bit louder. But you dont have to if it sounds the way you want.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

Same cone area on the same power I would have to say would stay the same. Best to keep the x and when u get more electrical to back it, than the sub isn't completely shredded. Just make sure you aren't clipping the sub or trying to make it louder and kill it with heat.

Nah im not running it hard. i would liek to be able to listen loud and hard without my lights dimmming. but if you think same power same surface area on same line of subs wouldnt make much of a different ill just have to make some car improvements.