Painting MDF with automotive paint

I searched and couldnt find an answer. but lets say you have a square mdf enclosure and you wish to paint it with automotive paint. I know you can use body filler and sand it smooth, but for for a flat surface of mdf that seems like alot of work to make it perfectly flat. Is there another way to prep it and seal the wood before automotive paint and clear coat after??

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

West Sacramento, California

Vehicle build log (1) 'Aayla' Numatik's one and only, bodydropped pasted the doors Chevy S-20 Ext-Ext cab. This project ended after a horrible horrible motorcycle accident. There are so many mods it would fill an entire page in my sig. Check it out if you have A LOT of time to kill. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/39785-numatiks-doored-s-20-bodydropped-on-doors-ext-ext-cab-10-subs-full-frame-build/?hl=%20numatik#39;s

Vehicle build log (2) 'Snow White' Daily/showstopper 2004 Chevy Silverado

Lays on 22s soon for 26s to run a beefy tire on 4s (4) 5gal tanks, (3)AZOB2 pumps, Slam digital stealth two speed valves with 16 solenoids, Slam SS bags all around, ART upper and lower arms, KP Components 6-link, KP Components watts link, Panther juice 6 22s, Spikes EVERYWHERE. 3,600WRMS total, (5) Kicker amps, (2) L7 15s under raised back seats, 15" screen molded to dash, 36 speakers total all Mb Quartz and Fosgate. Fiberglass console with removable face plates and arm rests, flushed speakers, lots of toggle switches, Playstation 2, rear view camera, Suede and leather seats, suede headliner, Dakota Digital air gauges, voltage gauges, and current draw gauges. (2) XS Power 4800 batteries, Whole truck is flat black and white and the

ENTIRE truck is fully pin striped by TJ Pagano here in Sacramento.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/123328-numatiks-bagged-2004-silverado/

smdsig1.png

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I am proof" - Numatik

I searched and couldnt find an answer. but lets say you have a square mdf enclosure and you wish to paint it with automotive paint. I know you can use body filler and sand it smooth, but for for a flat surface of mdf that seems like alot of work to make it perfectly flat. Is there another way to prep it and seal the wood before automotive paint and clear coat after??

there was a guy that used to go to rusty's shows he would throw that had a box like this. i would use a thin coat of body filler sand smooth and paint it like you would a car. i would leave the wood rough when applying body filler too. my 4 12 box was painted on the inside. shit hit super hard after that 2 stage paint inside. well the 2 gallons of glass resin helped too.

I Rock 4 Doors 4 More Whores!

SMD SUPER SELLER

my seller feedback http://www.stevemead...-mama-feedback/

more seller feedback http://www.stevemead...-slaps-yo-mama/

there was a guy that used to go to rusty's shows he would throw that had a box like this. i would use a thin coat of body filler sand smooth and paint it like you would a car. i would leave the wood rough when applying body filler too. my 4 12 box was painted on the inside. shit hit super hard after that 2 stage paint inside. well the 2 gallons of glass resin helped too.

I knew the bodyfiller way, thats a good idea to leave it rough so the filler grabs some more. its weird, it just seems there should be a more practical way to work on wide flat areas like a square shape to prep for paint. There must be some other way right? Id think so maybe im wrong...

and that must have been fun painting the inside of the box lol

Does anybody else know of any ways to do this?

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

Vehicle build log (1) 'Aayla' Numatik's one and only, bodydropped pasted the doors Chevy S-20 Ext-Ext cab. This project ended after a horrible horrible motorcycle accident. There are so many mods it would fill an entire page in my sig. Check it out if you have A LOT of time to kill. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/39785-numatiks-doored-s-20-bodydropped-on-doors-ext-ext-cab-10-subs-full-frame-build/?hl=%20numatik#39;s

Lays on 22s soon for 26s to run a beefy tire on 4s (4) 5gal tanks, (3)AZOB2 pumps, Slam digital stealth two speed valves with 16 solenoids, Slam SS bags all around, ART upper and lower arms, KP Components 6-link, KP Components watts link, Panther juice 6 22s, Spikes EVERYWHERE. 3,600WRMS total, (5) Kicker amps, (2) L7 15s under raised back seats, 15" screen molded to dash, 36 speakers total all Mb Quartz and Fosgate. Fiberglass console with removable face plates and arm rests, flushed speakers, lots of toggle switches, Playstation 2, rear view camera, Suede and leather seats, suede headliner, Dakota Digital air gauges, voltage gauges, and current draw gauges. (2) XS Power 4800 batteries, Whole truck is flat black and white and the

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/123328-numatiks-bagged-2004-silverado/

smdsig1.png

I'd lay down some glass n smooth it out n then primer n paint.

Mind you I can't say it was mdf, but my great grandpa was notorious for paiting everything and anything with left over paint from his autobody shop. I never met him but through my life time the paint held up on ceder, oak, redwood, mahagany, amongst other types of wooden furnature. I am guessing it was all lead based paint because he retierd in the early 60s and pased away months before I was born in 1982. To this day there is still furnature my uncle has that is still sitting with the original paint my great grandpa put on. Worst thing it doesn't hold. But in my opinion it will just take a little denser of a mixture due to mdf having more pours then metal.

go to home depot, buy a small bottle of paint for ~$5 and do it properly

Do it properly ? Automotive paint costs a hell of allot more then bear and such things you would find at home depot. So in my opinion its for the look of what you can do with automotive paint vs regular roll/brush on paint.

Follow the links in the first post of this link

My name is AdamThis is my Civic Build.7" Samsung Tab 2Kenwood KDC-X896Clarion EQS746Sundown X-15DC 3.5k @2ohmHatersGonnaHate's 02 Civic UBLELD Bypass for Honda Civic/Accord/FitDon's Jeep Grand Cherokee Rebuild

N8ball2013 - i think you'd stick your dick in a blender if it told you it was 40 wtih two kids your age. lol

srp365 - If posting were picking up bitches, I'd be going home single tonight

looks like tony montana sneezed in your car.

VbjgkeI.jpg

kNsESzw.jpg

I'd lay down some glass n smooth it out n then primer n paint.

Maybe lay it down with a roller? that may do it

go to home depot, buy a small bottle of paint for ~$5 and do it properly

?? re read the first post of this topic before you speak of 'doing it properly' im im using automotive paint for an automotive purpose not painting a fucking house.

Mind you I can't say it was mdf, but my great grandpa was notorious for paiting everything and anything with left over paint from his autobody shop. I never met him but through my life time the paint held up on ceder, oak, redwood, mahagany, amongst other types of wooden furnature. I am guessing it was all lead based paint because he retierd in the early 60s and pased away months before I was born in 1982. To this day there is still furnature my uncle has that is still sitting with the original paint my great grandpa put on. Worst thing it doesn't hold. But in my opinion it will just take a little denser of a mixture due to mdf having more pours then metal.

He must have been doing something, they didnt have body filler way back

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

smdsig1.png

Follow the links in the first post of this link

This looks like the winner thanks!

The second link How to paint MDF to a mirror finish worklog dosn't go anywhere tho. but the first write up is def some points to try out on a test piece and see how it works.

Gary 'Numatik' Eberle

smdsig1.png

Archived