1990 astro van

okay then , with a flat wall, how do you adjust for the sliding door on pass side?  do you just angle the interior of box around it or start the enclosure after the sliding arm? 

does anybody know what freq the astros like it at?  sealed up and with door open (ie meca style)

thanks

randy

I've heard 68Hz. Haven't tested it myself though. As far as the slider, well... I've seen some angled boxes. I'm thinking about starting where the guide ends and make a straight wall from there. the opening will, of course, be trimmed to seal it.

I had some pics of other peoples enclosures in the Astro, but can't find them right now. Been collecting them since I bought mine, to get ideas.

Team Pinnacle / Team SouthEastSPL / Team SoundStream / Team GPI / GPI Sales Rep for Florida and Georgia

its hard to just jump in to a spl project with very little experience. I have no idea what experience you have as far as car audio, actually hell, full out spl is more based on high current electrical, and accoustic knowledge over car audio installation experience. Ive been installin for 12years, the last 4years I was a gawd damn speaker engineer for a major subwoofer engineering firm, and I built all the home audio prototype boxes, prototype subwoofers, Memphis was a customer of ours, and finally only about 4 years ago Ive been interested in SPL, and 2years ago I actually attempted to compete. With all that experience, I have learned the most in only the last couple years.  I personally wouldnt even want a 160db system to compete with, I just want the smallest woofer putting out the highest spl, at the lowest freq possible, and just get serious props for it :D

But a Van job, would def be fun to mess with

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

well i have been installing 12volt for about 16 years now and a shop owner for the last 8.  i am not "new" to the SPL world, just new to the whole wall setup thing.  i too like getting the most out of the least.  i even have a crx with 2- 10" 6 yr old pioneer in it hiting in the 154 range on the tl. yeah it has the 2 4kws in it.... not the greatest i know, but i feel it is good for my knowledge of SPL. and i am not far behind the loudest guy here in north dakota.  only 3-4 tenths away.

i would like to learn as much info on walls as i can get b4 i start tearing the van to pieces.  any help i can get is greatly appreciated.  i read as much as possible and attend all the shows in our area.  problem is me and one other shop owner are the only ones that seem to know the most, and i am limited in  the SPL side of things so that is why i ask a lot of questions and hope for good informative answers.  if not well then i get what i get and keepo reading till i find out.

Thats somethin I also want to get a hold of, a crx or a civic hatch, and do street A or B... and 154ish is damn loud for  a pair of 10" pioneers no matter how much power you got on them.

And yeah, walls can be tricky... I still only built one, but waiting on my 3rd and 4th

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

I have done 2 walls in a astro.

I made the wall removeable,  it wasnt for pure spl but it was a spl wall (subs stacked on passengerside, port driversside. 2 15's with 120^2 of port area.

you can stack 4 18's pass side with a huge drivers port 420^2ish if you built it into the van like some do.

I left the slider on and just built inside of it, trimmed it and foamed the backside of it. its air tight. and its pretty loud for 1700ish watts. tuned to 35hz.

the problem is i already have 2 4kw's.  i actually like them except the fact they need a ton of juice to run them.  and may i ask what a clamshell box is?  i searched for it and couldnt find it on this forum.

the clamshell I had in my van....

2450908_140_full.jpg

2450908_141_full.jpg

2450908_143_full.jpg

My MainMan,My lil Man,Dude,Bubb....My son Memphis @ 3years OldShow'em that car son..........